Advise for a rookie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Talking Advise for a rookie?

Hey Guys.....
I am new to the forum and to dual sport riding. After a long time of shopping, reading reviews, and begging the wife, my friend and I finally went out and bought two new 2010 KLX250S. We both have very little riding experience and thought that the KLX would be the right first bike. I have had my bike for less then two weeks and have only put about 200 miles on it, but I have to say that it has been nothing short of a blast! We live in northern California in the Yuba City/ Colusa area. I am seeking any advise some of you more experienced riders can pass on to us noobs. Also, anyone who lives in this neck of the woods and could suggest areas to ride or is looking for a couple of guys to join you on a ride, we are game. I look forward to putting on some miles and alot of dirt.
Thanks.

Last edited by PopNrobb; 06-02-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

For now, just ride and enjoy! Figure out what you like or not about the bike and then maybe explore a few mods to beef things up a little. Be sure to explore all the sites/posts, too. The KLX is a great bike and both excellent and forgiving to beginners (like I am!)

Good riding to you both.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

agree with above! big piece of advice= maintain it, read the service manual,and search on here for tips, clean and maintain it. checks before during and after rides, oil chain, clean debris,lube points, oil and fluid changes air filter etc. oh and the exauhst has drain plugs for a reason... i got mine used with less than 200 miles and it needed alot of attention due to failed maintence and neglect. a little tip on the plastics and rubber, apply wax or protectant, even during storage! have fun be safe

Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on doing regular service.
Also I woudl suggest getting good saftey gear and takeing a MSF course.

Have fun and keep it rubber side down.

Jim

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, like everybody is saying= maintance is key. Also, I would suggest getting a good set of hand guards if you going to ride off road.....it's a good place to start. These little bikes have a lot potential.

Enjoy your new ride!

Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I've done lots of things to modify motorcycles but the single most important one is to add real handguards that have an actual metal bar in them. These will protect your fingers and hands against trees but also prevent you from breaking levers and perches when you tip the bike over.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Take the MSF Safety Class when you can, it will help you stay alive on the slap when some loser is talking or texting on a cell phone. Other than that, always ride within your limits, done take chances, and gear up.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

congrats on the new bike!! They are a ton of fun. Follow all the good advice above.
Dan

Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Take *both* the MSF Road *and* Off road courses.

This site:
California ATV Trails
has a great list of riding spots if you're looking for dirt

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

SPINE PROTECTOR!

A friend of mine came off his bike at only 60km/h a few years ago and landed on his back rendering him a paraplegic. I have never ridden without a spine protector since.

Quick Reply: Advise for a rookie?