Advice on buying a motorcycle carrier / rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's how I got my latest toy home.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on buying a motorcycle carrier / rack-carrier.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I strap mine at the handlebars like normal then I strap it to the the bed of my truck in case a strap breaks. Then Also wrap tie downs around the the bottom of the wheels around the carrier just in case. Can never have too many straps!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM

I have a Joe Hauler hitch mounted carrier (Econo Single Hauler). Super heavy duty construction, all steel, full weld construction, none of the bolt together business. It's a little on the pricy side, $300, but it's well worth the peace of mind. Why spend thousands of dollars on your bike and then go cheap on the carrier, at least that was my thinking.

Their website is Joe Hauler Motorcycle Carriers and Accessories, they are a local company here in the San Diego area, so I was able to pick up in person. Check them out.

Last edited by blakeny9; 02-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
I strap mine at the handlebars like normal then I strap it to the the bed of my truck in case a strap breaks. Then Also wrap tie downs around the the bottom of the wheels around the carrier just in case. Can never have too many straps!
Yep - almost forgot about strapping the wheels. If I hadn't done that on mine, it *would* have fallen off well before I stopped to check on it.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM

I bought a BOSS carrier off of CraigsList for $200. I lucked out because it was the one I wanted and I wasn't gonna buy it new for $500+. It is extremely sturdy and comes with a way to tighten down the carrier in the receiver.

I like it over the cheaper units because it has some weight to it and comes with tail lights. I can put my bike on the ramp by myself pretty easily.

Here is a link to it online with some videos.

Boss Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier

I will post a pic soon.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought an AMC-400 off eBay for $117 from Discount Ramps. I think it's going to work just fine for my needs.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's my opinion on the hitch mounted racks as I have a friend with one. It seems ok, but what I don't like is unlike in a truck where the straps have a great angle to lock the bike in place, on a hitch rack the angle is too sharp and still lets the bike want to move. However that being said, there is a rack that holds the bike just like all the others but with one amazing difference. There is a curved arm that slides down onto the seat and when you compress the suspension a little and lock it in it is there to stay. You can still use straps if you want to, but you don't need them. Looking now......yep here it is! If I was in the market and had the money, this would be the choice for me.

Add-A-Bike Hauler Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Carrier

Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I saw that one and liked it, but couldn't justify the cost. I think with good straps I'll be fine with the AMC-400.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are getting wiggle with the bike on an AMC 400 you need to re do your straps, and make sure you are using a brace on the front suspension. Like Deej said, the tie down angle isn't great, but when I have my bike strapped down I can't wiggle the bike with out wiggling the whole truck. I go from the handlebars and from the rear foot pegs , I also do one strap up and over each wheel for extra insurance. I always use the ratchet type. I have witnessed some very crappy tie down jobs on trucks trailer, and carriers. Watched a buddy nearly lose a bike off the side of his trailer once.
Dan

Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Here's my opinion on the hitch mounted racks as I have a friend with one. It seems ok, but what I don't like is unlike in a truck where the straps have a great angle to lock the bike in place, on a hitch rack the angle is too sharp and still lets the bike want to move. However that being said, there is a rack that holds the bike just like all the others but with one amazing difference. There is a curved arm that slides down onto the seat and when you compress the suspension a little and lock it in it is there to stay. You can still use straps if you want to, but you don't need them. Looking now......yep here it is! If I was in the market and had the money, this would be the choice for me.

Add-A-Bike Hauler Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Carrier

I think i could probably make that arm for my bike carrier. Doesnt look complicated at all. Or make somethin that just grabs the foot pegs or somethin.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a motorcycle carrier / rack