Acceleration problems after mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Acceleration problems after mods

Not sure exactly what your issue may be, but I intslled the Dynojet kit on my back last month, airbox lid off, stock air filter, DJ Needle, 128 main, clip on 4th grove using the two provided spacers and pilot mixture 2.5 turns out, plus the usual drilling of the airbox and 1/2 hole in the stock can.

Bike starts from a dead cold perfectly, needs little choke to warm up and yesterday I rode it for almost three hours in deep mud, water and every sort of hill you can imagine. The DJ kit, plus lower gearing and new Dunlop tires had the bike running like it has never run before, it was like riding a different machine.

Throttle response was crisp, acceleration hard with no surging or dips. Clearly something in your set up isn't correct. I suspect your pilot is causing some of the issues, but also, double check where you put your spacers, a lot of people make the mistake of not putting the spacers on top of the e clip on put them under it or on top of needle after it is in the slide.

Keep in mind, 1/8 throttle to anout 3/4 is the mixture/pilot and needle, 3/4 and WOT is the main jet and needle.

So, think about where you issue is and you have a better idea where the problem may be. My guess, your pilot is too big and or screw is not adjusted correctly,

Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

If your at 3000 feet I'll bet your way rich with the 128. I'm at 600 and used a 124 with the usual free mods. I also stayed with the stock pilot.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like no two Dynojet kits are the same mine had no spacers and says to put the clip on the second slot down,
i have the 132 main ,stock pilot air box lid removed, it starts first time with choke just for a few seconds,
and pulls real hard around 4000 rpm .hang in its worth trouble.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I would doubt Dynojet is selling different kits under the same part number. Chances are you got the wrong kit....

Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marc11

Not sure exactly what your issue may be, but I intslled the Dynojet kit on my back last month, airbox lid off, stock air filter, DJ Needle, 128 main, clip on 4th grove using the two provided spacers and pilot mixture 2.5 turns out, plus the usual drilling of the airbox and 1/2 hole in the stock can.

Bike starts from a dead cold perfectly, needs little choke to warm up and yesterday I rode it for almost three hours in deep mud, water and every sort of hill you can imagine. The DJ kit, plus lower gearing and new Dunlop tires had the bike running like it has never run before, it was like riding a different machine.

Throttle response was crisp, acceleration hard with no surging or dips. Clearly something in your set up isn't correct. I suspect your pilot is causing some of the issues, but also, double check where you put your spacers, a lot of people make the mistake of not putting the spacers on top of the e clip on put them under it or on top of needle after it is in the slide.

Keep in mind, 1/8 throttle to anout 3/4 is the mixture/pilot and needle, 3/4 and WOT is the main jet and needle.

So, think about where you issue is and you have a better idea where the problem may be. My guess, your pilot is too big and or screw is not adjusted correctly,
WHOA Nelly! You have the air lid off and are probably running an aftermarket exhaust. He still has the stock pipe and just the high flow snorkle. He already said he's getting close.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

No stock pipe, stock air filter, just the lid off per Dynojets directions. He is at 3000 feet and put a larger pilot jet in, so I think his problems are a combination of too large a pilot and too large a main. But what do I know, I've been only working, jetting and tuning on bikes for 20 plus years?

Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 AM

This bike is OFFICICALLY UNCORKED!!!! Put needle at 2nd groove with two dynojet shims on top of clip, main at 124, 40 pilot at one turn out. Drilled two half inch holes above and below stock hole on exhaust and thru 4 baffles. Avery fuzzy warm feeling is comes over me when that exhaust note barks out. Very much fun. It rips and snorts above 5k, wheelies in second. My wife says that something sounds wrong with my exhaust, that it used to sound so quiet and modern, now she's not as impressed, oh well. Has anyone tried the needle in 1st groove? I think I could go to the 128 jet but it seems to be working pretty good now. I just had to get the pilot screw adjusted. Still waiting for the 13 tooth sprocket to get here. Thanks, for the help . Brian

Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, Mark, maybe you should have said he was rich in the first place instead of telling him he had the wrong kit? How about reading the whole thread before taking this as an attack on your knowledge. We are pretty much in concurrence on the 'rich' issue.

With drilled-out exhaust and KDX snorkle at 3000 feet,looks like he's got'erdialed-in pretty wellwith #124 main and needle on 2nd notch. Once he bolts-on the Muzzy, I think he can go up a bit on main and needle. chiiiiiil![8D]

Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Well sir, I never said he had the wrong kit, maybe YOU should go back and read the whole thread, as SOMEONE DIFFERENT stated the kit they had came with different parts, I replied to him, seperate from the main discussion.

So, should I chill? Maybe you shouldn't be the pot calling the kettle black, huh? I stated from the begining something wasn't right with his set up and I do not agree with tuning a bike by the seat of your pants.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I used the part number from this forum,there are so many posts on the subject how can you go wrong.
they just screwed up.

Quick Reply: Acceleration problems after mods