Acceleration problems after mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 AM
Default Acceleration problems after mods

Began mods today, 1. removed smog lines and capped off nipples. 2. Drilled stock exhaust 1/2" at first baffle. 3. Drilled out airbox to crank hole to 1/2". 3. rejetted with dynojet kit used 128 main, new needle with e clip at 4th groove and added two shims that came with kit. Added 40 pilot and kubalink fuel mixture screw to about 1 turn out. I'm sure the main is too big for the exhaust but the muzzy will be here soon and I didn't want to do this again. Will start and idle fine. Will accelerate very slowly on flats or downhill, will not accelerate up a hill. Did I get carried away on the main? Is something wrong with the needle? I was pretty careful with the diaghram, freezing it to shrink it into its hole. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Brian

Old 04-08-2007, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Acceleration problems after mods

Not sure, but I don't think the Dyno kits are that different from buying the stuff separately soo...

From an ease of making changes perspective, you might want to turn out the fuel screw to 2 or 2.5 turns. That may help with the initial acceleration problems.

The 4th slot on the needle seems really far down to me, but maybe thats the Dyno kit difference. I set mine to 2nd slot with a #130 main and haven't had a problem (of course, that means taking the damn carb apart again, which is why I would try turning the fuel screw out a bit more first.

Lastly, doesn't sound like you drilled out the slide hole, if you get it apart again, be sure to do that, it helps with the throttle response. 7/64ths I believe...

Good luck!!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Without actually looking at the bike, I would guess you are running way rich. Without increasing your air intakenor adding the muzzy, you should probably use about a #125 main with needle on 2nd groove from the top. I'm not sure why 'shims' were supplied as they are not necessary, but if they supplied a 'collar' for the needle, definitely make sure that is installed properly.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Yes I drilled the slide with the supplied drill bit. I also added the kdx snorkel. I just pulled the plug it is very black so I cleaned and reinstalled and pulled off the silencer and ran around with an open pipe for a lap. Still very doggy. I'll probably drop down to the 124 main that came with the kit and see what that does to it. What part of the powerband does the needle affect? When I compared the new needle to the old one the new one is shorter so maybe that has something to do with it. Hmm, may be I'll sleep on it. Thanks for the response. ps i'm running at 3000 feet.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Look for a crack or hole in the diapham-- slide accutuator. that " freezing it " scares me!!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:48 AM

Tremor, the dynojet kit comes with the needle, 2 e clips, and 2 shims, the directions say to install the e clip on the 4th groove, and if there is no stock brass shim, then to add the two shims on top, which I did. Where would the other e clip go? I just got back from rejetting the main to 124, it runs slightly better but not much, I ran it with the stock pipe on and then ran it open pipe to see if exhaust made the difference, it did not make a noticeable difference on acceleration, still VERY Doggy. May be I will try a different groove on the needle.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I would shim my stock needle myself (22 thou for me). If fact with my Muzzy and KDX 200 snorkle I never even thought of using my adjustable needle. I have two KLX 300 needles and if you would like one, I will send it to you. You would need a clip and factory collar for the needle.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 AM

Ok, reshimmed needle at 2nd groove, no problems with diaphragm. Rode it, much better , may try 128 jet tommorow. The instructions with the dynojet kit are wrong or are meant for the klx300. I did it by the book and it was waaay too rich. Thanks for help.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Just finished my mods today. I'm running a Twin Air filter, cut out backfire screen, KDX 200 snorkel. I went with a Keihin 128 main jet, driilled out the slide 7/64, stock pilot jet, N1TC needle, and fuel screw 2.5 turns out. Bike runs much better than stock and the power difference was quite noticeable. Clip was on 2nd position. Sounds like you mixture is too fat.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawicat

Tremor, the dynojet kit comes with the needle, 2 e clips, and 2 shims, the directions say to install the e clip on the 4th groove, and if there is no stock brass shim, then to add the two shims on top, which I did. Where would the other e clip go?
Oh, I see.I guess theDynojet needle doesn't come with the brass collarlike the N1TC.

Glad to hear you are gettingclose on the jettting. Sounds like you areon the righttrack. One thingto make sure of whenifyou takethe carb apart again (you might have to once you add theMuzzy) is to makesure the needle fullyinsertsinto theslide andseats intothe needle jet at the bottom of the bore. Some of the Dynojet needles have been known to not fully seat. This is easy corrected by taking some emery cloth to the upper portion of the needle as it usually hangs-up in theslide hole.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Acceleration problems after mods