about to REjet 2009 klx 250s

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default about to REjet 2009 klx 250s

i have the parts from DJ for a 1997-2007 KLX300. I was told this is the proper kit. Can anyone verify this before I go ahead and install it tomorrow (dealer actually to install).

any recomendations on settings in the rejet process?

oh yea, the directions on the jet kit say to remove the airbox lid. Is that cool to do? I put the new exhaust on and removed the lid and bike barely made it out the driveway. Does the rejetting really allow the bike to run ok with the lid off?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: about to REjet 2009 klx 250s

yes that's the correct jetkit. yes it's ok to run the bike without the airbox lid. what do you mean the bike barely made it out the driveway??

Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

put the lid back on until you rejet it, that's why it ran like crap cuz it isn't getting the amounts of gas it needs for all the air it's sucking in. I'd recommend just cutting the snorkel hole a little larger so you at least have some cover over it w/o removing the whole thing. You'll have less intake noise and less area to suck something inside the airbox. It isn't going to make a difference if you remove it totally or just enlarge the hole just so you rejet it to either scenario. I prefer the 3x3 hold, but others remove it totally. But just understand that if you have nothing there, more stuff can get inside to the filter making your engine more prone to sucking something down. Probably never happen, but w/o a lid, it could happen.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

When ever you alter the intake or exhaust on your bike, just be cautious.
It would be prudent to alter the carburation at the same time.
Even running the bike for a short period in a very lean state can cause damage to your engine/exhaust.
[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys. happey to know jet kit is correct one.

when you say cut a hole in the box. I just literally cut around the snorkel peiece so there is a 3X3hole in the box. So it is really just a flat cover with a square hole in the middle?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cosmickites

thanks guys. happey to know jet kit is correct one.

when you say cut a hole in the box. I just literally cut around the snorkel peiece so there is a 3X3hole in the box. So it is really just a flat cover with a square hole in the middle?

kind of.........remove the stock snorkel and pitch it. then, with whatever you see suitable for the job, cut the hole the snorkel was attached to and just make that existing hole around 3x3. this is a common DRZ mod and it's what I did to my KLX before I even owned my DRZ. where do you live? I did this, coupled with a 128 main, stock pilot though now I would probably go to 40 over the stock 35 for easier starts hopefully, and then the N1TC KLX 300R adjustable needle on the 2nd slot I believe. Now, the '09 jets inside the carb are not the same size as the '06 and '07's. same carb, just different sized jets. but with your exhaust, these sizes will still work. I am at around 1000' above sea level here in windy Iowa.[:@]remember though, these sizes are Keihin parts, not dynojet and I don't know how they translate. search feature will find out but I'm sure your kit has some type of crappy instructions to guide you.

remember with your 13-tooth sprocket installation, you'll have more slack in the chain to take upright off the bat ultimately making your wheelbase longer. just something to remember.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

kind of.........remove the stock snorkel and pitch it. then, with whatever you see suitable for the job, cut the hole the snorkel was attached to and just make that existing hole around 3x3. this is a common DRZ mod and it's what I did to my KLX before I even owned my DRZ. where do you live? I did this, coupled with a 128 main, stock pilot though now I would probably go to 40 over the stock 35 for easier starts hopefully, and then the N1TC KLX 300R adjustable needle on the 2nd slot I believe. Now, the '09 jets inside the carb are not the same size as the '06 and '07's. same carb, just different sized jets. but with your exhaust, these sizes will still work. I am at around 1000' above sea level here in windy Iowa.[:@]remember though, these sizes are Keihin parts, not dynojet and I don't know how they translate. search feature will find out but I'm sure your kit has some type of crappy instructions to guide you.

remember with your 13-tooth sprocket installation, you'll have more slack in the chain to take upright off the bat ultimately making your wheelbase longer. just something to remember.
So the 13-tooth sprocket changes the bikes wheelbase? Very interesting.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

sure does. any time you adjust your chain, you're lengthening your wheelbase unless you go to a larger rear sprocket. That's what the adjusters do- they pull the wheel back to tighten the chain slack. I don't even know if it is possible to go larger in back if you still have stock 14-tooth sprocket up front. It may be out of the parameters of adjustment on the swingarm. since we're going one tooth down up front with stock 42 in back,we immediately gain slack in the chain. whoever has done this mod knows what I'm talking about.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

rejetted
bike runs great
sounds fantastic
removed air box cover also

Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cosmickites

rejetted
bike runs great
sounds fantastic
removed air box cover also
Awesome news. You're probably one of the first that has rejetted? Do you know what jets your running?

I would leave that airbox lid in your garage. I fiddled with mine a bit by adding the KDX snorkel as well as drilling a bunch of one inch holes in it to increase air flow....but taking it off was just the way to go for me. Sure I have to clean my filter a little more often but thats ok. I'm also ok with the extra noise too, some people don't like it. To each their own.

Now get crackin on you're gearing and you'll be blown away

Quick Reply: about to REjet 2009 klx 250s