351CC Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 351CC Kit

Alright. It's time to pull the trigger me thinks.
When I order the 351 kit.. is there anything else I should get/consider?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

tm 36-68 carb, stiffer clutch springs

Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
tm 36-68 carb, stiffer clutch springs
I'd love to get the carb.. but just can't swing that kind of $$$ at the same time.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

DOO EET!

I would order a clutch kit too. hahaa..

I think you have everything else you *need*. A Motion pro vortex throttle is nice to have, they're cheap.

Also try to find some gasgacinch. It's not needed, but I think it's a good idea to lightly coat the base and head gasket with it.

Also get a torque wrench for the head bolts, or borrow mine if you can't get one.

Do a search for the walkthrough, will help a lot. Also, I can help if needed, it's a pretty straight-forward install.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Get the carb tm34 from bill also. You will buy it anyway later after hours of F!@#$#$ around with your stock carb. Ask me I do know.. good luck

Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Robert24
Get the carb tm34 from bill also. You will buy it anyway later after hours of F!@#$#$ around with your stock carb. Ask me I do know.. good luck
Huh, I must have gotten lucky because my stock carb worked beautifully the first time. 132/40/3rd clip. Done. Bike runs amazing.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have a 09 klx get a new valve cover gasket. The stock one shrinks and will be trouble stretching to fit when reinstalling. The new one will take the heat better and doesn't shrimk.

Before removing the cams measure the valve clearances. Then write down the shim sizes. That way next time you do a valve clearance check and they are tight you will know what shim size to get ahead of time. I didn't do this...one extra trip to the shop.

Mark the cam chain & sprocket with a sharpie so when you put it together you will know exactly where the chain goes on when reassembling.

Plan on stronger clutch springs soon. The stockers will let the chutch slip, then the fiber plates are useless and a full clutch kit will be needed. Don't forget a new clutch cover gasket.

Get a service manual for the torque squence/values for the head and cam caps.

Check out all the install videos/threads out there first.

These suggestions will lessen your downtime... I hate not riding because I didn't think ahead.

Good Luck

Last edited by RaceGass; 08-14-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

If you can't find the service manuals I have them on PDF I can send to you.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Only my opinion.

Do not put anything on the head gasket. Clean the cylinder and head. Assemble.......

All the rest is good.

Don't worry about the carb. The cvk works fine. You are gonna love the 351. It will be a new bike.

David

Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
Only my opinion.

Do not put anything on the head gasket. Clean the cylinder and head. Assemble.......

All the rest is good.

Don't worry about the carb. The cvk works fine. You are gonna love the 351. It will be a new bike.

David
Ditto, Gasgacinch on the base gasket ONLY. Get a new valve cover gasket as recommended, mine leaked after reassembly. If you are looking for more farkles, get the manual cam chain adjuster. That thing is awesome!!!!!
Set it and forget it until you hear noises from the chain.

Quick Reply: 351CC Kit