351 kit and pumper carb. HOW MUCH POWER?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 351 kit and pumper carb. HOW MUCH POWER?!

haha sorry guys i KNOW i have asked this question a few times over the years since joining up... but i just can't get enough of it.. just constantly see myself ripping it up with 100 more cc's and a pumper carb... just a few brief questions, would be much appreciated for response! here goes:

1.) If i keep stock gearing, will this bike be able to cruise at 65 (75 on the SPEEDO) at a DECENT RPM range? right now it BARELY hits 75 on the speedo unless you got a little downhill slope.. and it definitely does not cruise well at 75 SPEEDO... i'd say my maximum comfort cruise speed is 65 on the speedo, so 55 in reality... i weigh about a buck 85...
2.) Will i be able to ride a wheelie by simply "SNAPPING" the throttle in first and second gear? right now the only way i can stand her up is with a little clutch slippage... i want to have the MX type snappiness where u just pop that throttle, lean back a little and she stands straight the **** up... LOL, i know it will never feel like a MX racing bike.. but you know what i mean.. just similar enough where it will ride a wheelie WITHOUT clutch slippage.

3.) What will be faster? this or the WR250 dual sport model? ive heard some great things about the WR... but my friend was saying something about how the fuel injection can actually cause more harm than good at times... the drz400? will it run with it?

THANK U GOOD SIR's! I SAY GOOD DAY

Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

1 - yes. Though I'd like to experiment with a rear sprocket like 39 teeth or so. Tried 15t up front but wasn't happy with it.
2 - yes. 1st gear hold on, second gear pull up just a tiny bit, third gear use a little clutch.. 4th gear make sure you're flying and going up a hill. 5th & 6th gear, never got it up. haha
3 - KLX351 is faster than WR250. KLX250 is a bit slower than WR250, but not by much. I've ridden both and wasn't very impressed with the new WRR. And I don't know against DRZ400, would probably be close.

Good luck

Old 04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got two 351 mods on 2009's. Ya get more torque at a lower rpm. BUT it won't throw you off the bike. Meaning the mod has a modest, noticeable improvement in preformance.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eproetz
Meaning the mod has a modest, noticeable improvement in preformance.
Exactly, it is not that big a difference. Not anywhere close to what you are hoping...get a plated mx bike.

Btw a drz e with basic mods easily puts out 40 hp.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 04-22-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah im just hoping for enough top end power to be able to comfortably cruise at 65 MPH... im talking 5-6 RPM's... as for bottom end, i just want to have enough power to stand her up in first and second... right now my bike is BONE STOCK.. i have not even done any of the "free mods"... so im hoping with the 351 kit, pumper carb, full exhaust, and a carb re-jet ill be able to get the power i want.. just enough to bring a smile to your face when you want... also, i think the DRZ's look like **** compared to the kawi.. yeah it might pump out a lot more HP's... but just that big, blocky, squat, wide seat and heavy *** chunk of metal look doesn't do it for me.. ill gladly sacrifice a little power for the sleek, leaner look and better off road handling.. i will NEVER own a drz400... personally i think the kawi klx 250s model is THE BEST dual sport if you mainly want to ride off road... the only other bike i'd think about getting for this purpose is the KTM 450exc.. i think it's hte exc.. i know that one dude NOBRAKES on here has one... but they only get about 40 MPG.. while we can get double that... im just happy to know that with 1500$$$ or so, you can turn this bike into a BEAST in it's own right...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

With that attitude and a 351 and exhaust...I'll think you will be happy

But nuthin will make you grin like lofting the front on an Adv in sugar sand...but that f'er is a pig.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 04-22-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the KLX351, it is almost as strong a my buddies 2005 CRF250... The KLX is the Pickup truck with a 350 motor and the CRF is the Camaro with the 350 motor.. not sure if that speaks to you or not.

I love the Husky, that is the closest to a Plated Dirt Bike I have ridden... yet.

You'll love the KLX351, Are you close to Los Angeles??? Maybe you can take mine dow the street and see what you think...

Later.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello all,

I have installed a new head on my KLX 351 it has 1mm larger intake valves & is ported, installed a TM36 carb & a complete experamental exhaust that is still in work. The bike runs a lot better don't know what the fuel consumption will be yet. Have been two buisy to take it out & run a tank of gas through it yet. I changed to a different shop's dyno on the original dyno runs I got 26.5 HP & 21.1Ft. Lbs. torque when I changed dynos his dyno showed 23.1 HP & 18 Ft. Lbs. torque so there is a big difference in the two dynos
the numbers we came up with are 29.1HP & 27.2 Ft. Lbs. torque. if you add in the difference in the two dyno's it looks better 32.5 HP & 30.2 Ft. Lbs Torque.
He lost the data in his computer so I dont have a copy of the dyno runs.
I am 230 Lb. & the bike will pull the front wheel up in 2 nd gear by just rolling the throttle on if it will do that with my fat *** on it what will it do with a light weight rider on it.
Bill Blue

Old 04-24-2010, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Very interested in the power upgrades, but need to find a viable way to haul more fuel. Aux tanks, and MSR bottles ain't going to cut it for me long term.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Bill,
What would porting & bigger valves cost? Bigger seats installed too?

Last edited by RaceGass; 04-25-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 351 kit and pumper carb. HOW MUCH POWER?!