351 cylinder crack

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Well, we still don't know the real reason. However, being that I ride 100% in the desert, that's why I went with the 331...it was the largest Dry Sleeve offered. I just didn't want to push it to the largest offered. That said, whether it's wet or dry may not make a difference, and we still don't know what the real reason is for this problem.
Yeah, there's no evidence that the sleeve design or anything else caused this crack at this time. I would have liked to see the piston also.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Couldn't find the thread at ADVrider, can you post a link.....

Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Rockies regional section...titled "Stranded in Ouray" by merickk. There's nothing more than what I passed on at this time. He's still stuck there trying to get a ride to Farmington, NM.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
No more news on the cylinder yet... but here's the link Advrider: Stuck in Ouray

Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

My thinking is even if the sleeve is somehow responsible for this breakdown, it's seems to be a fluke, since this is the only one out of I don't know how many. I wonder how many miles his piston and sleeve have on them. I was also wondering if maybe the wrist pin failed first, since all the score marks look to be on the one side of the barrel.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

worn rings/piston slap? Detonation? I feel sorry for the guy

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeavyFuel
My thinking is even if the sleeve is somehow responsible for this breakdown, it's seems to be a fluke, since this is the only one out of I don't know how many. I wonder how many miles his piston and sleeve have on them. I was also wondering if maybe the wrist pin failed first, since all the score marks look to be on the one side of the barrel.
Likely a fluke...but you never know until you know. In his post on ADV, he claimed only 400 miles on it.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Well, we still don't know the real reason. However, being that I ride 100% in the desert, that's why I went with the 331...it was the largest Dry Sleeve offered. I just didn't want to push it to the largest offered. That said, whether it's wet or dry may not make a difference, and we still don't know what the real reason is for this problem.
Just for my own edification is a "wet" sleave one that touches the waterjacket and "Dry" is one that does not?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38

With the KK kit though, I think the extra heat generated by the higher compression ratio is a major contributor. It's somewhere in the 12:?:1 range, (maybe 12 and a halfish) don't remember the exact figure, but Marvin has it handy.
I did not realise the KK was high compression. That may explain why I was getting top speed in the low 90's even when rideing double. I understand thats a bit higher than most.

Cheers, Jim

Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Just for my own edification is a "wet" sleave one that touches the waterjacket and "Dry" is one that does not?
You've got it.

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I did not realise the KK was high compression. That may explain why I was getting top speed in the low 90's even when rideing double. I understand thats a bit higher than most.

Cheers, Jim
Off the top of my head I can't recall, were you the one whose 330 cylinder cracked at the cylinder skirt?

Quick Reply: 351 cylinder crack