3500mi on a KLX = Insane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 3500mi on a KLX = Insane?

a bunch of buddies and myself are planning a trip to Northern Ontario next summer when we get some time off work. The PLAN is to head up to Windigo Lake (northernmost point accessible by road in the province) and then work our way back down south. The only point of the trip where fuel milage might be an issue is from Pickle Lake to Windigo Lake and back as it's 325 miles or so return so obviously I need to carry gas.

This has the makings to be an awesome trip but what kinds of things should I be outfitting the bike with? I plan on getting a new seat for sure and starting the trip with new tires. The obvious stuff like side bags and camping gear for sure as well but anyone who HAS done a long trip on the KLX, how did you mod your bike? Lastly, am I crazy for even considering this or is it completely doable?

Here's a rough idea of how far north it is for those who don't know:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1de3dae7af&z=5

Cheers,
Tony

Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes Tony, you are completely mad.

But I say, go for it.

I'm actually contemplating a bit of distance "touring" on my KLX.
Maybe not 3500 miles though.
Can't justify another bike but i want to do a bit of off road, 2-3 day rides.
See how I go from there.

I opted for Dirt Bagz and a http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/Tanks.php
That will do for a start.

Keep us posted as to how and what you do and good luck.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

A good battery would be a good investment. Leaving your bike out overnight up there will sap the power quick smart. It would be prudent to fit some HD tubes also. Basically keep it simple. Lay out all the stuff you wana take, then half it. Don't forget a mosquito net and a silk sleep bag liner. Comfort plus.

Try to carry the heavy stuff on the rear seat and not the rack (it's only rated for 5 KG.)

The Wolfman Tank Panniers would be a great investment (can fit 3 litres on each side of the tank.) It's by far the best solution to carry the most weight (ie Gas) in the centre of the bike, between the wheels. With 6 litres of gas in the tank panniers and the stock 7 litres in the tank you'll have enough gas for 200 miles. An 8 litre soft gas bladder on the seat will take you the last 125 miles. The key is keeping the extra 10 kg of fuel (14 litres) between the wheels and not over the rear of the bike.

I recon you'll need 21 litres of fuel for the 325 mile round trip (5.5 gallons.)

Name:  P1010023opti.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  68.7 KB

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-02-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Yes Tony, you are completely mad.

But I say, go for it.

I'm actually contemplating a bit of distance "touring" on my KLX.
Maybe not 3500 miles though.
Can't justify another bike but i want to do a bit of off road, 2-3 day rides.
See how I go from there.

I opted for Dirt Bagz and a http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/Tanks.php
That will do for a start.

Keep us posted as to how and what you do and good luck.
Yeah, what he said. I recommend getting the oil changed somewhere near the halfway point if possible. Longer rides on the KLX usually make the oil turn black much more quickly. After about a 1000mi round-trip ride to Tokyo, mine looked like coal

Last edited by tremor38; 11-03-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Check this ride report from some Russian dudes. Did it tuff up the top end. Should give you some tips.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432431

Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

acerbis tank + bake's tank on the back.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Check this ride report from some Russian dudes. Did it tuff up the top end. Should give you some tips.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432431
Good report Woz.
Not planning anything that tough.
Well I don't think I am.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure you can, I did 2000 miles on the stock seat (not a good idea lol)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505792

I would say get a new seat, get a small windshield like I had and do it.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

That will be a long boring ride until you get to TB. Hwy 11 is pretty flat, and pretty boring.

We took a little trip north of Cochrane, past the Abitibi this summer that was fun.
The stock seat is going to kill your butt.

GEDC0047.jpg?t=1257169893

Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Well, anyone remember the story of a guy riding across many states in the U.S. on an old lawn tractor? Anything is possible, but honestly this is why 650cc and bigger dual sport bikes were made. Mileage like that is going to suck on the little KLX most of the time. Carrying that kind of weight on the KLX for real camping is also going to suck. I wouldn't consider doing that kind of mileage on a small/mid dual sport bike unless I packed the saddlebags with $20 bills and stayed in motels and ate in cafes.

But hey...I haul my dual sport bike behind my van and camp in luxury in the back of the van with all the crap I carry...solar shower, portapotty, huge ice chest, two-burner propane stove, stereo...and a large half gallon bottle of tequila. Yeah...I'm a wimp.

Seriously though, it can be done. I'd be careful about overloading that rear subframe, however. You mention that several buddies are going also. Maybe you can find someone with a van or full size pickup with a camper shell who can act as the mule for most of the heavier gear and camping stuff. I've seen groups find a friend who would like to take a trip like this but doesn't really ride...or maybe on the mend from a riding accident. Being totally self-sufficient off of a 250 dual sport might take a big chunk of the fun out of a trip.

Quick Reply: 3500mi on a KLX = Insane?