340 kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 340 kit

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

I've had the 340 for about a year, no problems don't listen to people that don't even have the kit or a bike, get it no problems.
LOL, the liner has the potential to possibly come dislodged vs. a bored out nikasil plated one. Like I said earlier, not all lined cylinders will malfunction but it is a possibility over one that doesn't have a liner pressed into it. It is just common sense and it has happened before, that you can't argue with bud.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Ford does this process with alum. blocks. I didthis with my firebird when I scored a cylinder, he will have no problems bud! Just keep us updated when you price bikes and compare mufflers and gearing and jetting let the adults talk about the other things.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

I've had the 340 for about a year, no problems don't listen to people that don't even have the kit or a bike, get it no problems.
LOL, the liner has the potential to possibly come dislodged vs. a bored out nikasil plated one. Like I said earlier, not all lined cylinders will malfunction but it is a possibility over one that doesn't have a liner pressed into it. It is just common sense and it has happened before, that you can't argue with bud.

Who has it happened to before IG? And I mean real people with real bikes, not figments of your imagination. My 87 CR 125 ran for years and years with a re-sleeved cylinder, even bored that one too.

To the original poster, don't listen to this dude he has no idea what he's talking about. If you want a re-sleeved cylinder, go for it. I've yet to meet someone who's had that done and had a problem with it.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I worked with a guy 20 years ago in a huge 6 cylinder that had sleeved liners, he said that they are flawless. But I suppose a sleeved liner is not the same as a sleeved cylinder. I don't pretend to know about it.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

iron sleeves build up more heat making them expand. this usually isn't a problem (as I've already stated)but since they don't dissipate heat as well as a non-sleeved cylinder it makes for the ultimate potential for them to work themselves loose vs. a nikasil coated cylinder that will last virtually forever with no chance of anything coming loose inside the jug.
you guys can say whatever you want, tell the guy I don't know anything, even tell him that there hasn't ever been a sleeved failure on a sleeved cylinder. The fact still remains that you are poking that piece of iron down a cylinder and it is connected to nothing. It can come loose. Let's see you provide some evidence supporting your obvious argument that a sleeved cylinder has never failed. Then I'll concede, but until you can support your argument of 100% success rate with no failures of sleeving, you basically have no argument other than to bash IG or whatever.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I worked with a guy 20 years ago in a huge 6 cylinder that had sleeved liners, he said that they are flawless. But I suppose a sleeved liner is not the same as a sleeved cylinder. I don't pretend to know about it.
don't know if that last statement was a jab at me or not, but I'm not "pretending" to know about them. I'm just reiterating what I've read. To me, pressing something in compared to having nothing in the same position taps my common sense chordwhich tells me thatwith the foreign object comes a chance for it to have a problem. ie. coming loose possibly. I just want to make the argument that a sleeved cylinder in comparison to boring and replating is not 100% free of problems like many are arguing.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

You crack me up....prove a nikasil coated cylinder has never failed

Kinda tough huh

Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Question for anyone, how can a cylinder sleeve move anywhere if the edge of the head sits on the edge of the cylinder? Isn't it all held together by machined edgesand gaskets? Where is the sleeve going to move to?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

ORIGINAL: deej

don't know if that last statement was a jab at me or not, but I'm not "pretending" to know about them. I'm just reiterating what I've read. To me, pressing something in compared to having nothing in the same position taps my common sense chordwhich tells me thatwith the foreign object comes a chance for it to have a problem. ie. coming loose possibly. I just want to make the argument that a sleeved cylinder in comparison to boring and replating is not 100% free of problems like many are arguing.

No, no, no I was saying that I personally just don't know, not that you were pretending to know.[8D] Easy man, you know I'm not even going to go there.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Where's that eating popcorn smilee...

Quick Reply: 340 kit