300 kit final price tallied

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300 kit final price tallied

i dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but installation should be pretty straight forward, rip it all apart and replace existing parts with new ones.... bigger ones....and put it all back together.... I have the service manuals myself. But they leave alot to the actual person... not alot of help on alot of things... i use them mostly for torque values.... I was wondering what the total price would be too... that doesnt sound too bad 450$ That might be in my near future..... Cant help ya with the carb.... it sounds like thats how fingermullet (owen) is jetted now....

Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I had my 300 kit installed by the dealer. It cost me $275 for the cylinder swap and rejet, they rejetted with the co2 exhaust machine. This way you know the bike was jetted properly. I think I could have done the work myself but all the time and frustration that can come with this type of upgrade I just let the dealer do the work. I also talked quit a while with the lead mechanic there and had him do the work. Didn't want some noob mechanics hands on my bike. The price you paid at ron ayres is the best price you will get. I actually had the dealer order mine for convenience, they gave me a 10% discount, no shipping and no taxes no the parts. You will love the increased power. I havn't been on a long ride in the dirt yet, but so far so good. I can now wheelie with a twist of the grip, no more bicycle stye pull up wheelies.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

The dealer probably would charge you more for the parts... so it you wouldnt be saving any... id imagine.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey man glad to hear you are keeping it, let us know how it goes. I will never be brave enough to take apart my bike, even after the warranty is up and its paid for. I keep having flashbacks to a 1980 Yamaha XS 650 that I took apart because it had a ticking noise, and a year later sold it in boxes.[&:] But I do have a lot of respect for guys that can do it. Its funny Irebuilt Chevy V-8 engineswhen I was a kid, welding and cutting before I got into 6th grade, I could wire a house before I graduated from high school, When I was young we moved into a house where a guy worked on tv's and all kinds of appliances and machinery, when he left there was all kinds of stuff laying around, if it was broke I would take it apart and see how it worked. We had a shop big enough to fit 4 logging trucks in and a huge loft full of old stuff. I tell my kid if he wants to learn how something works, take it apart. I just hope he asks first. I work on the gas appliances and all the mechanical stuffat work, but for some reason that bike experience from 20 years ago still haunts me. Now if it was a two smoke bike no problem, 4 nuts and the jug is off....huh huh huh he said jug. OK I have to get back to work, have to order a snorkel lift to change out the street lamps here. Anyway Iowaguy let us know how things go, and if you have time, share a few pics of the job. Later man.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

RonAyers is one of the cheaper places to get parts. You might also want to try and see what the price comes to for the parts from www.mrcycles.com . I've not purchased anything from them yet, but for a few parts I tried they seemed even cheaper than RonAyers.

As for the dealer install, I'd only go that route if you have or plan to have an extended warranty. The 300 kit is a Kawasaki supported conversion so it shouldn't present any warranty issues. However, if you install it yourself, I can see them voiding your warranty unless you can prove you are a qualified mechanic. But having the dealer do it should make everything still covered without question.

Also, at least for me, the dealer wanted to source the parts themselves. Their reasoning was that's the only way they can guarantee the work, i.e., to know the disposition of all the gaskets, etc. I you just hand them a box of parts, I don't think they will feel comfortable guaranteeing the work.

The job was going to be about $300 more for me to have the dealer do it, not to mention the mark-up on parts. And I always play the better odds and take my chances on the warranty thing, so an extended warranty wasn't of any concern. So my price was just the price of parts, tax, and shipping, two evenings of work for me , and one small radiator puncture repaired by JB-Weld.

The install really is straight forward. Just don't try to move the crank after the timing chain is free. I think that might have been how mine dropped off the lower gear and then that required another adventure into the right side engine cover to put it back on.

As for torque settings, search e-bay for a KLX250R service manual - I got mine there pretty cheap. Most sections of that manual fully and accurately cover the KLX250S. There is a lot of good information in there that will more than pay for the manual, such as valve adjustments, etc, etc.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Just so happens I went to my local dealer yesterday and priced out the parts and it came to 571.10 with tax and a 10% discount. Sounds like Ron Ayres is not a bad buy compared to this.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I am going to have a 331 kit for not much more than that... I bought my jug on eBay. Paid too much, but saved at least 35% over a new jug, so good enough for me. It's at Kustom Kraft getting plated right now.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

I am going to have a 331 kit for not much more than that... I bought my jug on eBay. Paid too much, but saved at least 35% over a new jug, so good enough for me. It's at Kustom Kraft getting plated right now.
That right there is the way to go, IMO!

Quick Reply: 300 kit final price tallied