2nd gear wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
BIG BORE!!!!

Here's a vid I took a couple months ago - right in the beginning of the video- that's a 3rd gear wheelie.
Riding on 5/19/12 - YouTube

When I had the 250 it was tough to get the wheel up.. Not any more
enjoyed the whole video... good stuff.. wish we had more of that to ride here in Florida! most of what we got is sugar sand, and its funny when a lot of people move from other states and they end up selling their bikes on craigs saying "can't take the sugar sand". i'm moving out to Glendora, CA next to LA in a few weeks... can't imagine what riding the terrain out there is going to be like compared to our swampy flat sugar sand riding... excited

How much did you bore yours too and how much did it cost and did you have to take your piston out yourself ? how hard is it ?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

In totally stock form these bikes are so anemic that you need a jack to raise the front end. I didn't test ride one or there is no way I would have bought it. That being said with some simple mods and not alot of money that anemic situation can be made alot better. Airbox, exhaust and jetting, throw in a gear change and 2nd gear wheelies are possible. This bike responded to increased airflow and reduced backpressure as much as any bike I've ever seen, and I'm no longer sorry I bought it.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
In totally stock form these bikes are so anemic that you need a jack to raise the front end. I didn't test ride one or there is no way I would have bought it. That being said with some simple mods and not alot of money that anemic situation can be made alot better. Airbox, exhaust and jetting, throw in a gear change and 2nd gear wheelies are possible. This bike responded to increased airflow and reduced backpressure as much as any bike I've ever seen, and I'm no longer sorry I bought it.
thats what i like to hear... the thing is so damn plugged up its retarded. did you remove your whole air lid? i have a header coming tomorrow so i want to do both the header and airbox/snorkel and jet accordingly...

Old 07-06-2012, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I have to disagree with most of you guys. This is from November 2011. All stock. Things have changed a bit since then.

Last edited by Malves; 07-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Malves
I have to disagree with most of you guys. This is from November 2011. All stock. Things have changed a bit since then.

YouTube - KLX250SF Learning Wheelies
smaller wheelbase on an SF probably has something to do with it? and you're going uphill

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
smaller wheelbase on an SF probably has something to do with it? and you're going uphill
My buddy has a stock 09 250S and he can wheelie that thing in first and second all day long. All it takes is to get up to the balance point and hold it there. Once at the balance point you need very little power (or any at all if you're good with your body positioning/balance!) to hold it there. The faster you're going, the easier it will be.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I am. Itīs a good way to learn and thatīs what I was doing that day. If you wanna keep trying to find reasons to blame the bike, thatīs ok with me. Bottom line is, ANY bike will wheelie regardless of power.

Last edited by Malves; 07-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Malves

Yes, I am. Itīs a good way to learn and thatīs what I was doing that day. If you wanna keep trying to find reasons to blame the bike, thatīs ok with me. Bottom line is, ANY bike will wheelie regardless of power.
this!!!!! people don't seem to understand it's the nut behind the bars that makes a bike come to life not the motor, the ct90 i rode to school through highschool and college got wheelied all the time and even more once i made it a 110

Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
My buddy has a stock 09 250S and he can wheelie that thing in first and second all day long. All it takes is to get up to the balance point and hold it there. Once at the balance point you need very little power (or any at all if you're good with your body positioning/balance!) to hold it there. The faster you're going, the easier it will be.
really? i cant get the wheel up unless im going less than 10 mph and i pop the clutch yank the hell out of it

Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

i cant get the wheel up unless im going less than 10 mph and i pop the clutch yank the hell out of it
Thats how I wheelie this bike. Just scoot back on the seat a little and pop the clutch in first. Once I have it to the balance point I shift into second and can take the wheelie pretty far. Haven't tried shifting to 3rd yet. I can't wait to see what kind of wheelies I can do once I bore it out!

Quick Reply: 2nd gear wheelies?