250s vs 250sf?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Default 250s vs 250sf?

Hi everyone, as you can see I am completely new here. I did a quick search and yielding nothing. I also tried to google it, but I couldn't really find any info that makes each of different.

I'm trying to find out the difference's in the KLX250s and the KLX250sf. Power difference's, engine differences etc. Which is better for the street and has the room for mods to make it a little bit 'quicker'? Any help is greatly appreciated, the dealer has both, but I'm trying to figure out which one would suit me better.

I just had my '07 Brute 750 that was far from stock stolen last Monday. So, now I'm looking into getting a DP motorcycle to help with gas and to cruise around town on. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry about your loss. Any leads on it? I personally have an 05 750 Brute that I love. Best atvs on the planet!

The diffs with the KLX250's are the "S" has the bigger rims and offroad tires, gearing is 14 front, 42 rear. Colors are diff and the mirrors are diff.

The "SF" has smaller wheels and tires. Street bike tires, colors, and the mirrors. Gearing is 14 front, 39 rear. I personally love the SF BUT I am more into the offroad part cause I missed my dirtbike and I just sold my 05 636r ninja. I bought the S cause its the best of both worlds. Its not no KX bike but I can still offroad it really good. I've done some really steep hill climbs with it and so far its works good. I did change the gearing on mine using the SF rear sprocket so I could get better highway rpms so it wasnt reving so high. Lots of good info on here on the KLX's and on other forums. Just do some searches. If you are doing mainly highway and dont want to take it off road, get the SF. If you want to do some offroad, get the S. You could put some diff dual sport tires on the SF if you wanted to. Its easier to convert the S into an SF rather than the SF into an S.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bshattuck87
Hi everyone, as you can see I am completely new here. I did a quick search and yielding nothing. I also tried to google it, but I couldn't really find any info that makes each of different.

I'm trying to find out the difference's in the KLX250s and the KLX250sf. Power difference's, engine differences etc. Which is better for the street and has the room for mods to make it a little bit 'quicker'? Any help is greatly appreciated, the dealer has both, but I'm trying to figure out which one would suit me better.

I just had my '07 Brute 750 that was far from stock stolen last Monday. So, now I'm looking into getting a DP motorcycle to help with gas and to cruise around town on. Thanks!
Engine is the same, mods are same for both bikes.

S has the bigger wheels and more suspension travel (i think). Color schemes are different i believe.

Really basically the same bike save tires and wheels.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Get the "S"!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I had an SF. Front springs are double stiff. Rear spring is stiffer. Steering angle is different, brakes are bigger and stronger. Engines are the same. I made mine a 351, then it went down the road like a scalded cat. You can gear it how you want. For dual purpose get the dual purpose bike (S). The SF is for street. I kept sportbike tires on mine. It was a total blast, but I don't ride dirt at all. Simply awesome for the blacktop jungle.

David

Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the SF. I really like it. You can dual-sport the thing all day, straight off the showroom floor. Don't let anyone tell ya different. No, it's not ideal, but it will get through it all just fine.

I'm a big guy (too big for the KLX) and I put it through the paces last weekend. I was doing laps around the less experienced guys on their 650s. What a blast.

The SF really shines on the back roads though. I love the 17" wheels set that it comes with. Corners on rails.

Name:  cGMqm.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  469.6 KB

Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM

I was in the same dilemma you are. Ultimately I went with the SF. I love the thing. I havent been riding in many years, and figured this was a great bike to get back into it. I rode the bike stock for break in. I have recently re-jetted the bike with a dynojet kit, and installed a KDX snorkel. I already notice a difference in performance. I have the FMF "Powerbomb" header and am awaiting the arrival of the Tsukigi exhaust. The bike is so much fun to ride/I can't seem to get enough of the thing. That "working" thing always seems to get in the way. I think my decision came down to how much I'm going to be off road? Not much, I went with the SF. Best of luck with your choice.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Basicaly, they are the same bike. If you´re gonna ride on the road only (or almost only ), get a SF. If you´re gonna hit the dirt more often, get a S.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The SF will not dissapoint u... even when u take it off road...
but make no mistake, idc what some ppl here are saying... the SF is one squirrely mug in the sand, so watch out lol.