Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   250s Dynojet kit! (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/250s-dynojet-kit-23190/)

The frog 07-21-2008 11:13 AM

250s Dynojet kit!

On dynojet website there is a jetkit made for the klx250s 2009, will it be OK for a 2007?

09KLXowner 07-21-2008 05:30 PM

RE: 250s Dynojet kit!

they're the same carb, it's the same kit renamed to make you all tingly when you see the "2009 KLX250S" reference next to it.

RaceGass 07-21-2008 05:51 PM

Kit #2152 not available yet.

RaceGass 07-21-2008 05:53 PM

Use #2206 instead.

JRock420 07-21-2008 06:03 PM

I orderd the 09 kit last friday

ducatiss750 07-22-2008 08:13 AM

the kits are slightly different if you look at what comes in the kit, the 09 comes with a slide spring as well. Can,t remember if the jets were the same

marc11 07-22-2008 01:31 PM

The KLX250s kit is very different than the KLX300 kit. Different needle, different jets, and they confirmed the need for a larger pilot by suggesting 3 turns out on the mixture screw.

09KLXowner 07-22-2008 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: marc11

The KLX250s kit is very different than the KLX300 kit. Different needle, different jets, and they confirmed the need for a larger pilot by suggesting 3 turns out on the mixture screw.
the 300R kit if it is different than the new one for the street legal KLX would still be the one to get imo. the 250S one is probably a tamer version made for less emissions and less performance. the 300R is an off-road bike only and thus the kit is probably more performance oriented. the needle can't get any more tapered. jets can't be different as the holes in the carbs are the same. they can include anything they want but there's no doubt that the 300 carb and the 250S carb are the same carbs internally- a 34mm CV. the '09 just doesn't have the TPS anymore. don't know anything about the carb spring addition to the kitbut if you want to shorten your spring just cut a few coils off it. larger pilot is not required as you don't need to go 3 turns out on the fuel screw. I've done two rejets on an '06 and now my '09 and never switched the pilot. it's just marketing. if you've got the kit, post up some pics of the parts so we can compare.

The frog 07-23-2008 01:46 AM

They don't drill the slide bigger either. Why?

The frog 07-23-2008 01:49 AM

Their set-up is a bit different then what we can read here, of what most people do! (fuel screw 3 turns, no slide drill...) I did'nt buy the kit, I already bougth the kawa parts, I was just curious to see what mods they were proposing. Don't you think they tested the kit to make our bike more performant?

RaceGass 07-23-2008 02:22 AM

I bet its b/c its now a 50 state legal machine. So it'll work w/ the smog stuff.

Now I'm curious if #2152 works better. I bet not...I'd still go w/ #2206 since the bugs have been worked out and you know that others have made it work.

glava2876 07-23-2008 08:49 PM

Spring??

Is it possible that the 300 carb has a different spring rate that may allow quicker throttle response and the 250 kit spring is like the 300??
-or is it simply a different length, and if so, what is the performance or efficiency gain with changing the length ??
Just trying to understand.
Thanks, Glen

marc11 07-25-2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner (Post 310912)
the 300R kit if it is different than the new one for the street legal KLX would still be the one to get imo. the 250S one is probably a tamer version made for less emissions and less performance. the 300R is an off-road bike only and thus the kit is probably more performance oriented. the needle can't get any more tapered. jets can't be different as the holes in the carbs are the same. they can include anything they want but there's no doubt that the 300 carb and the 250S carb are the same carbs internally- a 34mm CV. the '09 just doesn't have the TPS anymore. don't know anything about the carb spring addition to the kitbut if you want to shorten your spring just cut a few coils off it. larger pilot is not required as you don't need to go 3 turns out on the fuel screw. I've done two rejets on an '06 and now my '09 and never switched the pilot. it's just marketing. if you've got the kit, post up some pics of the parts so we can compare.

*sigh* sometimes I wonder if you disagree just to disagree. Who says the needle can't be more tapered? I know for a fact several other companies make needles which have 5 tapers to them.

The jets ARE DIFFERENT, did you even look at the kit contents? I've been jetting bikes for over 20 years, do you think I am so stupid to not know the difference between different jet sizes? Clearly the actual jet thread size can't be different, but man, sometimes the things you say....there are different sized jets and more of them in the 250s kit when compared to the 300 kit.

If you do not know anything about the spring then why are you saying to cut the stock spring, how do you know it is shorter and not longer or perhaps the replacement spring is softer. Stop giving unfounded and untested suggestions that could screw someone over if they listened to you.

The rule on pilot jets is, once you go under 1.5 turns you need a smaller pilot, if you go over 3 turns you need a larger one. So at three turns out as suggested you are on the bubble as to getting a larger pilot, it will not hurt. But the point is, the KLX300 kit says 2.5 turns out, the 250s kit says 3 turns out, same carb, so something is different over all and it confirms what a lot of people here have found, a larger pilot works better. Just marketing? What the hell are you talking about? Marketing what? Marketing screwdriver turns? Is someone here in the pilot jet business and they are making a million dollars selling larger pilots to us?

WestOzKLX 07-25-2008 02:33 PM

This gives some insight into what jetting the earlier model KLX's were like.
#35 Pilot and #132 Main. These bikes put out about 30 horses in 1994!

fjbordson 07-25-2008 05:21 PM

I installed the 300 jet kit on my 2009 nine only to find out they came out with the 2152 kit a few days later. the 2206 kit worked very well but I just installed the needle and spring from the new kit and the bike seems to be even jumpier and have more power. at least I can get a wheelie going with stock gearing.

f1rocco 07-25-2008 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by RaceGass (Post 311071)
I bet its b/c its now a 50 state legal machine. So it'll work w/ the smog stuff.

Now I'm curious if #2152 works better. I bet not...I'd still go w/ #2206 since the bugs have been worked out and you know that others have made it work.

Im thinking the same.....Urgggh....

I got my finger on the checkout button...Which to choose...2152...Might be the smogged kit...Or like stated above..The 2152 mixed with the 2206 was even nicer......

marc11 07-25-2008 06:40 PM

The emissions stuff has no effect on the jetting,the only exception is making the crankcase vent larger, but that too doesn't effect jetting. Get the kit for your bike.

Finger Mullet 07-25-2008 11:45 PM

Good lord people, dynojet finally makes a jet kit specific for our bike and you are questioning whether to get it or one designed for a very similar but different bike. Seems like a no brainer to me, I'd get the new kit with the spring and stuff.

Who do you think knows more Dynojet or a keyboard commando in Iowa.

f1rocco 07-26-2008 04:26 AM

When it comes to buying a kit for a ECO friendly bike and have it maybe pass a 50 state inspection....Thats where I have my doubts....A pure dirt bike kit might be more peppy and non eco friendly...

09KLXowner 07-26-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by f1rocco (Post 312287)
When it comes to buying a kit for a ECO friendly bike and have it maybe pass a 50 state inspection....Thats where I have my doubts....A pure dirt bike kit might be more peppy and non eco friendly...

no drilling of slide in new kit. the only additional jets to the 250S kit are leaner than the factory 118 main. so basically, the only difference between the two kits are the needle and the spring in the new one.
the 300 jet kit added three horses to the stock 20 whereas the 250S jet kit only added one. that should tell you something right there. the 300 kit was way more effective. that is taken right from dynojet's website.
isn't this common sense? the new kit has to enable the bike to remain emissions friendly and legal vs. the 300 kit that doesn't. it's a given the new kit will not be as performance minded, at least it is to me and dynojet's final numbers back that up.
some may call me crazy when I say this is purely marketing, but I firmly believe that. there was no jet kit for this bike previously. now, since the '09 is out and ungodly popular, DJ saw an opportunity to put a dynojet kit on the market to sell to these buyers who do not know that the 300 kit will drop right in offering more performance as DJ documented themselves. it appears to be working for some (the marketing). keyboard commando out.

Kawi Wawi 07-26-2008 12:59 PM

umm, yes the new kit does come with a 5/32 drill bit, as you can see on their website.
I don't think they give you a drill bit for nothing.

09KLXowner 07-26-2008 05:18 PM

that drill bit is for drilling out the a/f screw cover. read the pdf, no mention of drilling the slide. look at the final power values, it's there in black and white.

Finger Mullet 07-26-2008 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner (Post 312424)
that drill bit is for drilling out the a/f screw cover. read the pdf, no mention of drilling the slide. look at the final power values, it's there in black and white.

You crack me up. One dyno run is on a 97 klx300 the other is on a 09klx250 different bikes with different timing advance etc.....how in the world is the klx300 kit going to give you more power than the 250 kit?? The main jet gives you max power and the 250 kit has all the same jets as the 300 kit plus some more.

The new spring probably eliminates the need to drill the slide but there is no reason why you could not still drill it and see if you like the results.

But damn $68 for the kit.....I would just buy a couple jets and the 300 needle from Kawi directly .... save some money for the exhaust.

BTW whoever posted about emissions... neither kit will help you pass those and neither is designed to do so.

09KLXowner 07-26-2008 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet (Post 312436)
You crack me up. One dyno run is on a 97 klx300 the other is on a 09klx250 different bikes with different timing advance etc.....how in the world is the klx300 kit going to give you more power than the 250 kit?? The main jet gives you max power and the 250 kit has all the same jets as the 300 kit plus some more.

The new spring probably eliminates the need to drill the slide but there is no reason why you could not still drill it and see if you like the results.

But damn $68 for the kit.....I would just buy a couple jets and the 300 needle from Kawi directly .... save some money for the exhaust.

BTW whoever posted about emissions... neither kit will help you pass those and neither is designed to do so.

the 300 kit is a more effective kit at making power gains as evident by dynojet's numbers. you can't argue against that. the 250S kit is not as focused on performance as evident by it's low power gain. it is evidently tuned to be more emission friendly. argue all you want, but it's there in black and white.
shoot, it's like debating a brick wall around here, seems no one can see the logic anymore. I don't even know why I'm defending DJ, I'm all for ordering the keihin parts and saving dough as well. too bad it takes so long to get these parts from japan vs. the dj showing up in two days.

Finger Mullet 07-26-2008 09:25 PM

Iowa you are an idiot...what part in one kit will provide more power than the other??? The main jets are the same. Just different needle for midrange and spring for response. More effective at providing power ROFLMAO.

Just accept the fact that your 09 250 will not benefit from jetting and a pipe as much as a klx300 will....get it.

kgwld1 07-26-2008 10:17 PM

Wide open throttle is what these dyno # represent but with the cv carb, vacuum is what drives it per rpm so I'm sure some of this represents mid range (needle position) but I'm sure it doesn't stay there long then it in the main jet, so I'm sure the kits are similar drivabilty is what maybe different not absolute #'s.

Kevin

cliffsta 07-26-2008 11:02 PM

I highly doubt emmissions has anything to do with the '09 kit. Plastered all over the DJ website are warnings that these jetkits are for racing or off-road use only...

I plan on ordering the kit for the '09 in the near future, and I'll be removing the snorkel from the airbox lid. I'll report on what I find soon as I get this mod going :)

marc11 07-26-2008 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by cliffsta (Post 312456)
I highly doubt emmissions has anything to do with the '09 kit. Plastered all over the DJ website are warnings that these jetkits are for racing or off-road use only...

I plan on ordering the kit for the '09 in the near future, and I'll be removing the snorkel from the airbox lid. I'll report on what I find soon as I get this mod going :)

+1 exactly, smart decision.

Iowa, just marketing? I wonder if Iowa has ever been to a marketing class? Yeah, DJ makes an OFF ROAD ONLY jet kit, with extra parts, you know, more jets, a spring, different needle and then runs a KLX250s for dyno time and makes specific instructions to support the install...you know, just for marketing reasons. Sure, that makes sense. The only way you could support your comments is if the KLX250s kit was EXACTLY the same as the KLX300 kit, but COST MORE, that would be a marketing spin, you know, product placement, up selling a product to cover a larger consumer base?

And yeah, you know, DJ makes a jet kit for KLX250s specific to keep the emissions...IOWA, you are such a bone head sometimes, if DJ could make the jetting on the KLX250s such that it made MORE POWER but was still emissions legal, then why in the HELL DOES IT NOT COME FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THAT??? The answer is...BECAUSE IT IS NOT EMISSIONS COMPLIANT.

Oh and you are comparing the power gains from jetting on two different engines and that is an apples to apples comparison? So, let's see, let's say a KLX250s makes 20 HP and a KLX300R makes 25 HP, and the jet kit gives a 10% boost in power, which bike would make more power? The answer? The KLX300R of course, why, because 10% of 25 is more than 10% of 20, no matter how you look at it. You cannot say a jet kit made for one bike is better because that bike makes more power..and you are complaining about brick walls, were you dropped on one when you were a child? This is such common sense it isn't even funny.

Man, really, sometimes the putrefied gunk that spews out of your mouth on some of these threads rivals the best poop my daughter places in her diapers.

f1rocco 07-27-2008 01:57 AM

I ordered my kit today...UPS....Yippee....I heard that my Fedex only delivers Tuesday-Saturday...So I saved the coin and went with UPS.....

Oh I went with the 300 kit for now...Makes sense both ways but figured the experience with this forum and peeps with this kit would be better for myself...Probably get the 09 kit next year...Or try another carb...

glava2876 07-29-2008 08:51 PM

Another question?

I may be not getting it, but does anyone have any idea as to why the 09 KLX 250 DJ Kit has a different spring? When I looked at the Kawasaki factory part numbers for my 07 KLX 250, the 09 KLX 250 and the KLX 300, they all have the same part number. Since I have the 300 KLX kit in my 07, I thought maybe the spring is "magic" and so I emailed DJ Tech to see if the spring is available separately and the quick response was that they do not offer a kit for the 07 KLX 250? -Is this implying that something is different in the 09 carb or just someone who is reading a script. Anyway this Tech indicated that the spring is not available.
Would a lower spring rate, if that is the case, allow for quicker throttle response?

Kawi Wawi 07-29-2008 08:58 PM

That's the theory... "Back in the day" when all we had was the KLX300 kit, one of the extra mods was a 'spring mod'... Basically, cut a few coils off the spring, allowing the slide to lift easier. Supposedly improves responsiveness.

I did it in combination with my other carb mods, so I couldn't tell if that specifically made any difference. I took off 3/4 inch.

RaceGass 07-29-2008 10:09 PM

To make sure that the 09 klx carb is putting out its best, one should should pick up a 7/64" drill bit to mod the slide. Also order the #2206 needle when going w/ the #2152 kit. Just to get the most out of whats available.

glava2876 07-30-2008 12:48 PM

Spring??

Does anyone have the 09 KLX 250 DJ kit? If so, is the spring shorter? Or does it seem to have less pressure?
When I emailed DJ tech email, they indicated that they don't sell individual pieces only the full kit. So to get both needles, you would have to purchase both kits -but maybe if I contact DJ sales, they would sell them?
Glen

RaceGass 07-30-2008 06:51 PM

I would call the tech dept & ask them if they could send out the DNO352 needle. Explain to them that the power increase isn't what you expected and was looking for more in the mid range.

The customer service dept probably would sell only the whole kit.

I de-restricted both ends of my head pipe and was able to increase the pilot jet to a 38 (no one had a 37.5 available). 2.25-2.5 turns out on the Kouba a/f screw. The only reason I tried it was b/c the head pipe was turning a deep blue, leaving me to believe that it was lean. As per DJ instructions a 128 main jet installed.

Good Luck

Slight popping on deceleration was eliminated also.

09KLXowner 07-30-2008 07:30 PM

LOL, just buy the 300 kit and call it a day. cut some spring coils off if that tickles your fancy, but that has never been recommended around here.

fingermullet- You're an idiot!

glava2876 07-30-2008 08:40 PM

Spring??

I have the 300 kit for my 07 250. I called DJ sales and was able to purchase slide spring # DSP027 for the 09 250 kit for $ 3.50+UPS -I'm going to see what the differce is from the stock slide spring.
I'll let everyone know what I find out.
Glen

jro 07-30-2008 08:53 PM

Received my DynoJet 2152 Kit yesterday. Put it in- works great. The kit has jets from 116 to 132 I think. They reccomend a DJ124 Jet with snorkel removed and stock exhaust, or a 128 with snorkel removed and a pipe and/or slip-on.
Spring is shorter.
Uses a needle, clipped on 3rd notch down with two spacers. Very happy with it as a kit, although you can probably do it cheaper by ordering 300 needle, jets, and drilling your slide...........

glava2876 07-30-2008 09:00 PM

Shorter spring!!

That's what others have said they used to do -about how much shorter? Does it still feel like it has the same overall spring rate?
Thanks, Glen

speedracer25f 07-31-2008 12:41 PM

Question for you guys with a 2009

Just curious, as of right now unmodded I get 62 MPG on my 09 KLX250s. Since you guys put in the jet kits, exhaust, etc, how much has your Gas Mileage changed?

WestOzKLX 07-31-2008 02:06 PM

^ 70mpg :D