Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   250 to KLX351, or KDX or other dirtbike? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/250-klx351-kdx-other-dirtbike-42773/)

Zeno 02-28-2015 06:57 AM

250 to KLX351, or KDX or other dirtbike?

So I have a dilemma...

First let me give you some background.
I'm 32 years old with a wife and 2 young kids. My 2006 KLX250S is my first motorcycle ever.

My wife has lost loved ones and the main stipulation to me being able to get a motorcycle with her blessing is to ride around the neighborhood and offroad only. No highways. Keep close to the house where the speed limit is lower (45 and under).

Since this is my first bike, I had no idea whether I'd prefer off-road or on-road.
Well... I LOVE offroad.

Luckily there are 2 offroad fields I have access to. One has small jumps and a short circuit. Maybe get a few feet into the air for 10 feet distance horizontal airtime (no idea - never seen it from someone else's view).

The other one has way more acreage, but the jumps are closer together and far steeper. Trucks and ATVs use these trails, so sometimes you get stuck in a deep tire rut for a ways and either drop the KLX trying to climb out of it or just run its whole length until you can get off. I dropped the bike 4 times one time because the grass had grown so much over the ruts that I hadn't realized how steep it was and couldn't climb out. Picking it up gets tiring.

As for the hills/jumps: you could probably launch off one hill and hit the downslope of the other if you were on a lighter bike or knew your stuff (is that called a double?). I do not know my stuff.

Dilemma: I FAR prefer off-road, but I do like neighborhood riding as well for simplicity and cooling off (better air-flow). Cars tailing me just piss me off and make me uncomfortable. However, during the hot Texas summer months, I definitely enjoy cooling off on street rides after doing off-road.

I've put about 500 miles on my KLX250s and I love love love this bike as my beginner bike because I never thought I'd be mechanically-inclined yet I've done every piece of work or maintenance on this bike myself. I've changed out sprockets, chains, carb jets/needles, fuel tanks, installed radiator guards, new fork springs, new clutch cable, manual tensioner, skid plates, modded pelican case as toolkit, and new shifter components, etc. About the only thing I haven't done is try to install new tires or check valve clearances. (or crack open case for any engine work).

However, I've gotten to the point where I think I'd maybe prefer either a lighter bike or a more powerful bike. Clutch wheelies are inconsistent and uncomfortable - I either can't get front end up much at all, or I loop myself if my 50/50 tire gets good traction on a dirt spot (I have 13/47 stock gearing with klx300 header/exhaust and dynojet kit and really stiff front-springs). Furthermore, I've read that this bike is NOT good for any airtime whatsoever and I really worry about cracking the frame on even these small jumps. I do not have any welding tools or skills.

The 1st nearby trail is just a 1/4 mile from house so I don't have to worry about being street legal really, but that's the boring/small circuit with good tiny jumps to learn on. The 2nd trail with the vast acreage and steeper jumps and multiple loops/circuits involves leaving the neighborhood and crossing one major street - maybe 3 to 5 miles away. I can ride a decent 5-10 mile loop around my neighborhood for the on-road stuff with a top speed of around 45 mph.

Should I just try to extend my mechanical skills even more and invest in a 331 or 351cc kit and/or pumper carb for my riding? How difficult or costly would it be to reinforce frame so I don't have to worry about minor airtime?

Or should I SELL my klx250s and invest in a 2-stroke like a KDX (for it's lightness and 4-stroke characteristics and bombproof reliability) or a YZ125/250 (for learning dirtbike fundamentals and cheaper maintenance)?

I see a good deal on a DRZ400E as well... if that was an even trade, should I do that instead of spend money on a 351 kit?

Thanks!

zomby woof 02-28-2015 12:00 PM

I race motocross at the expert level, and I was never shy about jumping my 07 KLX. I never had a problem with the frame or anything else. If you do decide to buy an off road dedicated bike, a two stroke is the better choice for a lot of reasons, but I would stay away from a KDX. They were good bikes in the day, but that was 20 years ago. They're heavy and a little clunky compared to a modern MX bike. A late model YZ125/250 is an excellent choice and makes a great woods or motocross bike.

klx678 02-28-2015 01:51 PM

I would agree a more off road bike is the ticket. For simplicity and cost I'd say two stroke too. 250 would have all the power you want and pretty much anything from 2000 up would probably be good with maintenance and parts availability. You could even consider the KTM300 is getting a superb reputation for a great off roader.

As for the 250 frame off road, it is essentially the KLX300R frame which was built for off road. What they weren't built for is to haul 100 lb of stuff on the subframe, BMW1200GS was made for that. The suspension would need reworked, but from there the bike can do. Just ask TNC.

So it comes down to what you can afford and what you want. The most important part would be if you need to be concerned with having a plate for any street stuff. If that isn't a worry do the off roader, if it is, do a 351 and rework the suspension.

Klxster 02-28-2015 04:04 PM

Hey Zeno, your post length exceeds my attention span,,, I had to study it and take notes..lol

I have a stable of 4 stroke and 2 stroke racing bikes and have owned all make and manner of offroad and dual sport bikes.. Once upon a time, long ago, my KDX200 "playbike" was the most popular of all... Anyway, I have a suggestion. The KLX is an offroad bike with turn signals. It only varies from the "real thing" due to the "50/50" tires your running. Put a good set of offroad only tires on the bike and feel the new capabilities.. It will become a surefooted rut-eating woods bike.. Once re-tired, the extra few pounds the bike carries will be a net advantage in offroad handling in many senarios.. Choose the aggressive DOT 90/10 offroaders and stay legal for the "hoods" as well..

Klxster 02-28-2015 04:38 PM

While aggressive DOT off road tires will take you to "next level" off road, they do not provide the grip on the street for aggressive "hooning" especially when the pavement is wet .. So keep it to putt putt-ing on the road..ok?

MattyTracks 02-28-2015 05:19 PM

I had a 03 kdx220r, great bike!! Lots of low end grunt for a 2t and a bit of a hit up top to keep it exciting. I think the KDX is rated at 32ish HP so lots more power and lighter than your klx. Just like the klx the kdx needs its suspension tuned for the rider, many folks have swapped in modern USD forks to deal with the suspension. Others have used the 220r and 200r engine in hybrid/MX bikes because the engine is perfect for trail/enduro type riding.
You'd be much happier off road on a kdx, especially once the suspension in sprung and valves for you....or swapped out. It's up to you if you want to give up street riding, but I'd highly recommend a kdx(in good shape) for you.

Good luck

s10gto 02-28-2015 11:51 PM

I would also highly recommend a kdx. I have a yz250 and a kdx220R. Love them both. I ride tight single track. The YZ has a ton of power but the KDX is better when it gets really tight.

If you really look hard you can find some KDX's that have been street titled. You can then have both worlds.

I am converting mine to duel sport now. Almost done. :D

linkin5 03-01-2015 01:04 AM

A DOT knobby type tire and a 351 kit would go along way towards making the KLX a monster. You can pull the signals and add a lith ion battery for some weight savings and still have it plated for the street. Off roading is a blast but you will get tired riding the same trails over and over so unless you have a truck to haul a dirt bike to some new areas I'd keep a dual sport. Jumping isn't an issue for the KLX it can go as far as you can.

Zeno 03-01-2015 06:31 AM

Awesome, guys. Thanks for the info.

Surprised to hear so many people chiming in on frame being fine for jumping. Searching these forums, I had found some older KLX250S threads where people expressed concern about KLX300 frame being weak and cracking at headstay(?) - whatever that is. And multiple people saying to avoid air time with this bike since it's not an MX style one.

I will be getting a trailer later on this year. Probably early summer. But it is easiest for me to ride during my lunch break and I do like cooling off with street rides... so I am leaning towards just doing 351 upgrade (maybe next Christmas present), and getting better off-road tires (maybe Trackmaster II rear/Kenda K772 Parker Desert front).

I can always get proper light 2-stroke dirtbikes later on down the line - especially if my kids end up expressing interest in the sport.

s10gto 03-01-2015 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just put some trackmasters on my plated KDX220. They should make a big difference on your KLX and they are still DOT. Would like to tell you more ,but I am looking a 4ft of snow.:(