2019 KLX250S Headache

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 06:50 PM
Default 2019 KLX250S Headache

Bike History:
Picked the bike up from the original owner, mint condition w/360 miles on it 2 months ago. Horrible stumble off idle.

Current setup and issues:
Added an EJK to try and help the issue, and it indeed helped a little but the bike was still **** weak with zero bottom end and pitiful mid-range grunt (compared to what I'm used to with my 2017 CRF250R Rally.) After digging and talking to some folks on the FB I decided to do away with the snorkel and re-tune it to match and the 5-7K range definitely improved but still "1984 Honda 250 w/low compression" below 4k rpm. Some YouTube videos on the gains from the secondary butterfly removal adding noticeable gains in the lower revs so I bloodied my knuckles and removed it. Now, the bike is dull and unresponsive compared to previous setups, but throttle response is a hint quicker but insignificantly.

Anyone with a similar setup with this, and if so, can you give me your EJK settings, pretty please?

Old 10-22-2023, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Why I refuse to give up my carbed 351. Efi can be a pain with not much support for this bike sadly in the tuning department

Old 10-23-2023, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Audio_Phill
Bike History:
Picked the bike up from the original owner, mint condition w/360 miles on it 2 months ago. Horrible stumble off idle.

Current setup and issues:
Added an EJK to try and help the issue, and it indeed helped a little but the bike was still **** weak with zero bottom end and pitiful mid-range grunt (compared to what I'm used to with my 2017 CRF250R Rally.) After digging and talking to some folks on the FB I decided to do away with the snorkel and re-tune it to match and the 5-7K range definitely improved but still "1984 Honda 250 w/low compression" below 4k rpm. Some YouTube videos on the gains from the secondary butterfly removal adding noticeable gains in the lower revs so I bloodied my knuckles and removed it. Now, the bike is dull and unresponsive compared to previous setups, but throttle response is a hint quicker but insignificantly.

Anyone with a similar setup with this, and if so, can you give me your EJK settings, pretty please?
My guess is you have a vacuum leak.

Check the hoses. The stock fuel tank has a whole gaggle of them underneath it. I removed all of the smog stuff, capped all the open fittings, and installed an IMS 2.7 tank. It has only ONE hose from the tank's fuel pump to the fuel injector and simply vents from the filler cap.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
Why I refuse to give up my carbed 351. Efi can be a pain with not much support for this bike sadly in the tuning department
I feel ya...

Originally Posted by tooter
My guess is you have a vacuum leak.
It seems more rpm related. Swapped it back to stock, minus the butterfly and it's popping and cracking like its a lean condition, so possibly. I sure do miss my Rally right now.

Check the hoses. The stock fuel tank has a whole gaggle of them underneath it. I removed all of the smog stuff, capped all the open fittings, and installed an IMS 2.7 tank. It has only ONE hose from the tank's fuel pump to the fuel injector and simply vents from the filler cap.

I have never liked a vented cap. I don't run a tank out fast enough for it not to degrade or gel and it's been a noticeably more often occurrence on my vented caps bikes.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-24-2023, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel ya...

It seems more rpm related. Swapped it back to stock, minus the butterfly and it's popping and cracking like its a lean condition, so possibly. I sure do miss my Rally right now.

I have never liked a vented cap. I don't run a tank out fast enough for it not to degrade or gel and it's been a noticeably more often occurrence on my vented caps bikes.
Are you sure it's lean?
Isn't popping excess unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust?

Vented cap:
I can see how that could be a problem. My bike is used for daily utility transportation in my business so gas never sets in the tank. I did discover the little hose can get knocked off so I siliconed it onto the cap and it hasn't happened since. Getting rid of all the hoses, smog valve, and smog cannister knocked off 2 pounds so it became part of the weight reduction project.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:18 PM

After a thorough inspection, I have found a kink in the fuel line. I'm hoping that's the problem.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by bmart

I just sold my 2017 with a very similar setup for 4900. Way more powah and comfort than my KLX. Replaced y fuel line today, all the issues I was having instantly disappeared. I think the bike shop kinked it when doing the fuel drain line recall

Old 10-25-2023, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by tooter
Are you sure it's lean?
Isn't popping excess unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust?

Vented cap:
I can see how that could be a problem. My bike is used for daily utility transportation in my business so gas never sets in the tank. I did discover the little hose can get knocked off so I siliconed it onto the cap and it hasn't happened since. Getting rid of all the hoses, smog valve, and smog cannister knocked off 2 pounds so it became part of the weight reduction project.

Indeed, It's was the lean decel/throttle close pop .

Old 10-26-2023, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I just sold my 2017 with a very similar setup for 4900. Way more powah and comfort than my KLX. Replaced y fuel line today, all the issues I was having instantly disappeared. I think the bike shop kinked it when doing the fuel drain line recall
When do you want t pick it up?

Sadly, shops absolutely suck these days. You have to redo everything they did, check everything involved, and usually fix things they broke. At least I do.

I tried a "reputable" place last year for $2k across a few bikes. None of it works, and they redid it all 3-4 times. Total suckage.