2014 KLX 250S Compatible Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Default 2014 KLX 250S Compatible Rear Shocks

This is my first post here after recently getting my first bike a 2014 KLX 250S. Got a smoking deal on it with super low miles (just over 1k!!) - but unfortunately I think I know why now. I cleaned the carb and jets, air filters, spark plug and changed out the old gas because it was stalling or bogging down often at low RPM's, especially when it's hot. Read about the problem on these forums and other places. Think I fixed that issue, or at least got it running much better and more responsive, I won't talk much about that anymore in this thread...

The reason I'm posing here - After 3 days of owning it - and just test riding it for an hour or two on the street, no trail riding yet - I'm noticing the rear shock is slowly leaking fluid. HUGE bummer. I may take it out next weekend on the road or mellow trails but I'm nervous and anxious to get on this thing.

I'm weighing my options of having it re-built or replacing it with an aftermarket or other Kawasaki Shock if possible. Still trying to figure out cost on aftermarket parts to help with this decision. I understand that having it re-built will cost around $200-$250. If I can get an aftermarket one for around $500 or less I see this as an opportunity to upgrade now so I don't have to later. Anymore and I'm rebuilding it or finding one on Ebay. So my questions are:
  • Is it a bad idea to ride it while the original shock is still leaking but functioning? I'm not a really crazy rider. No jumps, but I mountain bike a lot and am not afraid to hit some rougher terrain at speed on a dirtbike. Is cruising mellow terrain or roads generally still ok? Is it really sketchy?
  • Will other Kawasaki rear shocks fit in my KLX 250 S? So if I found a stock KX 250 shock from someone will that fit? What years will transfer to what. From photos the attachments to the frame and overall length look the same to me.
  • Will a CRF 250 shock fit? My friend has a CRF and they look very similar but from what I can the the CRF shock is longer. I can find these relatively easy.
  • What are my aftermarket options? Is there a guide for the required length, travel, eye ID...etc. I can't seem to find this in the owners, or service manual. I see tons of options, but all the end attachments to the swing arm and frame look different. A lot of what I'm seeing has a single "eye" at the top and bottom. Where my KLX has a "forked" attachment at the bottom of the shock to the swing arm. I'm very confused - non of the parts websites have anything when I search my bike. Sorry I'm clueless, what am I missing? What should I be looking for?

Any guidance you can provide would be great, I'm really excited for this bike. A bunch of buddies just got dirt bikes and I found this as a great excuse to get a bike that I can cruise the trails and commute to work with. So far my experience has been mostly in my garage with wrenches and not on the trails so please HELP!

Also a few links to some parts Ive been looking at. Will any of these work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-20-2018-...ty!97210!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/p/1127588252?ii...oaAkFCEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/320mm-340mm...d0c2b8fb0fa9e4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXOJ16S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01DXOJ16S&pd_rd_w=xTO1o&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=263sm&pf_rd_r=6C9YCXBRP6GGTCDT6RRP&pd_rd_r=ce789220-fabe-4c43-8a26-ce1824f754b9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHTFZFSlZWNUs1NkQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDk3MzYxWDU0VlVaSkNWTzVZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NjI3MDU1UkwySFpWUFZKN1Emd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXOJ16S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01DXOJ16S&pd_rd_w=xTO1o&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=263sm&pf_rd_r=6C9YCXBRP6GGTCDT6RRP&pd_rd_r=ce789220-fabe-4c43-8a26-ce1824f754b9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHTFZFSlZWNUs1NkQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDk3MzYxWDU0VlVaSkNWTzVZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NjI3MDU1UkwySFpWUFZKN1Emd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YSS-Shock-A....c100005.m1851

Old 04-27-2020, 06:56 PM

I'm finding others. I just stumbled on a thread that pointed to this YSS shock. This seems like it will work?

https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/yss-204...250-09/145504/

Old 04-27-2020, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd stay away from any of the Chinese knock-off type shocks, stick with a known manufacturer. All that stuff tends to look great in the box, and even run well for a while, but not nearly as long as an OEM or quality aftermarket shock. Keep your eyes open and you should be able to pick up a used KLX250 '09+ shock for $99-$129 on fleabay. Nothing wrong with the stock shock, so having it rebuilt would probably be OK.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Personal opinion you can get a tailormade rebuild-revalve on the stock shock from a reputable company for less than the cost of any decent new shock and have a better shock in the end. Then spend money saved on a fork kit. Far better than that standard no reservoir YSS shock for sure. Get a place like Race Tech or Cogent to rebuild your shock and while doing it change the valving to suit your weight and riding style. It is really an excellent basic shock absorber to start and with revalving becomes a very good custom shock only surpassed by the high dollar shockls like an Ohlins or the like. For under $500 easy.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:08 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

OP, most of those Chinese shocks don't last or hold a candle to the stock KYB shock on your bike. Get your shock rebuilt and you'll be way ahead. Besides, give some real thought about dealing with the Chinese in today's environment. Their cheap crap has addicted us to cheap crap, and we need to have an intervention.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:18 PM

Appreciate the quick responses everyone. I'm also starting to track down some things on Amazon. I'm guessing a shock like this is another Chinese made cheap-o? This looks very similar to the OEM.

https://www.amazon.com/GZYF-Motorcycle-Absorber-Compatible-Kawasaki/dp/B083PP83LH/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=klx+shock&qid=1588022062&sr=8-13 https://www.amazon.com/GZYF-Motorcycle-Absorber-Compatible-Kawasaki/dp/B083PP83LH/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=klx+shock&qid=1588022062&sr=8-13

Any recommendations on a shock that is stocked in the US that cost roughly $300? What is the length I should be looking for. I will need the "Clevis" attachement at the bottom, correct?

I'd prefer to order a complete shock setup instead of sending mine out to be re-built. Still weighing the options.

EDIT:

As i'm looking at these Cogent shocks - I should probably do that, not the cheapest but probably worth it. See link: https://www.motocd.com/product/world...uzuki-v-strom/

If anyone has any suggestions for something that I can order "off the shelf" that will be decent, comparable to OEM and affordable I'd really appreciate it. I'm struggling to know if anything I'm looking at will fit my bike.

Last edited by Architoker; 04-27-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Two things to watch out for:
1. The angle from the reservoir to the shock. I don't know about your 2014, klx250, but the klx300 shock reservoir comes out at different angle than most shocks so that it will fit in the frame.
2. The shocks that you had links to don't state the spring rate. Besides getting the absorbing function of the shock correct, you should get the correct spring rate for your riding weight. Will you be able to get a replacement spring for any of those knock off shocks?

Like other guys have said, get your shock rebuilt and revalved. And then tackle the forks.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Send your shock of for a rebuild and be done with it.
Cogent would be good, they can spring and re valve it for your weight and riding style.
RM14

Old 04-27-2020, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I found a cheap, pretty beat up, used one on ebay that I'll order and throw in the bike so it's safely ride-able without being dangerous for now so I can ride - assuming it's charged and not leaking. Once I make the swap I'm going to send the original one out and have it built.

Will a KX 250 shock work? I'm seeing tons of those on ebay in great condition.

I read for hours and hours and came up short. Moderators - if there's any info that could be added to the FAQs about the rear suspension perhaps another clueless newbie like myself would save someone time searching. Perhaps a list of aftermarket options and some recommendations for places to re-build the suspension? Could help someone figure what to do when their rear shock decides to leak all it's oil out

On another note - the reason I'm looking for aftermarket options is because this bike has 1200 miles on it. My initial thought was that it was junk, and comparing it size wise to my buddies bike this thing looks like it belongs on a mountain bike HAHA. I'll take your advice that it's actually good and maybe it was just some 300 lb dude before me sending this thing.... Just strange that it would leak with that low of miles on it - and the bike is CLEAN. It did sit in storage for about 4 years.

Last edited by Architoker; 04-27-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:25 AM

A klx 250sf spring/shock would fit too but the spring is stiffer rate. Saw one on ebay 200 used. Stick with oem

Last edited by Zoltar; 04-28-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 KLX 250S Compatible Rear Shocks