2011 klx250S

Old 05-27-2017, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2011 klx250S

So I finally decide to upgrade from an 89 kdx 200, on to a 2011 klx250s. I've always been a 2 stroke bush beater rider so this is a completely new world for me......
I love the handling, braking and overall feel of the bike however, the throttle response seems to be a bit delayed and the gearing seems a little out of whack. It seems you have to rev the engine decently high to jump from 2nd to 3rd in order to not sacrifice any power in the gear change. Is this normal on a 4 stroke (like I said, my experience lies with 2 stroke, this is my 1st step into the 4 stroke world. Any upgrades to help address these issues or some plain insight into this whole 4 stroke world is appreciated. Thanks in advance and happy riding, guys and gals!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the family Dirtrider!

Unfortunately, your "upgrade" from the KDX to the KLX also comes with a big drop in power. The KLX is a very mild trail/dualsport type 250, nothing like the 250f dedicated offroad race bikes. If you have the funds, the quickest way to gain back the power you're missing is a 330 or 351 bigbore kit, along with the other usual bolt-ons.

I've got a 200EXC for dedicated trail/offroad riding, and use the KLX as a commuter/general purpose bike. They're way different bikes for sure and do well in their respective roles. Some of the other members can chime in and explain how to better utilize the KLX offroad.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

In "My" opinion, an upgrade would be going from the KLX to the KDX. You went the wrong way. ****, I have a 2009 KLX, and would trade UP to a KDX in a heartbeat, IF the KDX was street legal. I need a plate where I ride. The KLX is a heavy dog compared to the KDX. Don't ever compare cc's, always go with HP. Especially comparing 4-stroke to 2-stroke.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Agreed, I've gone from my 2006 KLX331 to my 1999 KDX200. Chalk and cheese

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike. I have a klx and a kdx so I know where your coming from. It's going to be tough to even get them close. A Klx is about 18hp. A Kdx is around 40hp. Klx 300lbs and Kdx 225.

Please don't get us wrong a Klx is a excellent all purpose bike. Just not a woods legend like the Kdx.

If you run the streets you made a good move. Both my bikes are plated. The Kdx does ok on the road but the Klx is much more road friendly.

Now for your Klx. What your asking is not impossible but it's going to be some $ . First lose some weight on her. Rear whale tail delete, led signals, aftermarket exhaust , ect. Anything you can to lighten it up.

Next call Bill Blue @ B&B cycle restoration. Buy his 351 big bore kit and pumper carb.
This will make the most Hp that KLX will ever pump out.

Oh and keep us posted. We love following builds and don't forget the pics.

Good luck!

Last edited by s10gto; 05-28-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I think his delayed throttle response is a few factors. 4 stroke being one, little slower spool up on rpms, and mainly, the CV carb. It's just the twitchy 2-stroke he's use to. Don't think anything is wrong with the bike, just nature of the beast.....

Old 05-28-2017, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default On/off road

Originally Posted by snowdrifter
Welcome to the family Dirtrider!

Unfortunately, your "upgrade" from the KDX to the KLX also comes with a big drop in power. The KLX is a very mild trail/dualsport type 250, nothing like the 250f dedicated offroad race bikes. If you have the funds, the quickest way to gain back the power you're missing is a 330 or 351 bigbore kit, along with the other usual bolt-ons.

I've got a 200EXC for dedicated trail/offroad riding, and use the KLX as a commuter/general purpose bike. They're way different bikes for sure and do well in their respective roles. Some of the other members can chime in and explain how to better utilize the KLX offroad.
Im loving the bike. A drop in HP im fine with, i guess its just getting used to the way the 4 stroke operates, its just a whole new world for me. The bike handles amazing compared to my old kdx. (Maybe that's the difference in years lol)
4 stroke reliability was a main upgrade reason and chasing my kids around on their quad was the second reason.
I am going to get my license to use it as a commuter to and from work as well.
I am actually sitting on top of a mountain right now staring out across the valley as I'm writing this. My old 2 stroke couldn't get me up here for the last push though the Bush. It was too snappy and the terrain was very ugly, plus my overall lack of technical riding experience.
As for that big bore kit, is it not a very thin remaining sleeve between the piston and the coolant? Is that a reliable enough upgrade to get jis little engine to pump out some power?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Difference?

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Agreed, I've gone from my 2006 KLX331 to my 1999 KDX200. Chalk and cheese
Did the 331 have a decent amount of power compared to the 351 upgrade?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Absolutely

Originally Posted by s10gto
Congrats on the bike. I have a klx and a kdx so I know where your coming from. It's going to be tough to even get them close. A Klx is about 18hp. A Kdx is around 40hp. Klx 300lbs and Kdx 225.

Please don't get us wrong a Klx is a excellent all purpose bike. Just not a woods legend like the Kdx.

If you run the streets you made a good move. Both my bikes are plated. The Kdx does ok on the road but the Klx is much more road friendly.

Now for your Klx. What your asking is not impossible but it's going to be some $ . First lose some weight on her. Rear whale tail delete, led signals, aftermarket exhaust , ect. Anything you can to lighten it up.

Next call Bill Blue @ B&B cycle restoration. Buy his 351 big bore kit and pumper carb.
This will make the most Hp that KLX will ever pump out.

Oh and keep us posted. We love following builds and don't forget the pics.

Good luck!
I have been doing a little research for upgradeable parts and such. I never even thought of lightening it up to be honest. Lol
I am a little concerned with the big bore as it looks like there isn't alot of meat left in the cylinder, but when I get home I'm gonna look into it for sure!
my first thoughtsemester were skid plate, hando guards and bar risers. From there I was thinking full exhaust system. This machine is so quiet!!!
Soon as I'm hit 60 I can't hear the motor anymore. Lol
any recommendations as far as pipe upgrades are concerned? I heard that putting a header on it doesn't really do a whole lot as far as HP is concerned.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Risers and bars made a world of difference for ergonomics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 klx250S