2009 Speedometer is off by 10%

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 Speedometer is off by 10%

My speedometer is off by about 10%. I checked it with my GPS then double check it against my car. Speedometer reads 40, I am actually only doing 36. It is a bit annoying. I just bought it used last week with 71 miles on it. If the speed is reading high then I guess there is less miles on it then it says. .....That will suck when I want to sell it in about 10 years. Any one else check theirs? Is there a fix?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome To Kawasaki Forums.
Turn On Same Tunes And Enjoy The Ride.
Theirs a lot of Good Members Here and they will do there Best to Help You out with Your Questions. Sometime It Takes A Little Longer Then Others. So, hang-in there.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
My speedometer is off by about 10%. I checked it with my GPS then double check it against my car. Speedometer reads 40, I am actually only doing 36. It is a bit annoying. I just bought it used last week with 71 miles on it. If the speed is reading high then I guess there is less miles on it then it says. .....That will suck when I want to sell it in about 10 years. Any one else check theirs? Is there a fix?
Most here would agree that their speedometer is off also. At least '09 owners. I compared mine to GPS and got 4-7 mph less than actual speed which was 10 % in my case as well. I didn't realize it until I read it here somewhere. I have a gut feeling all the '09s are this way. Unsure about earlier models since the 09 got the LCD. Enjoy.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Every bike is like that. Don't worry about it and don't waste time trying to correct it.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
My speedometer is off by about 10%.
You got the good one then.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Gee...Just about every Japanese motorcycle I've owned...and that's a ton...have all been like this. However, I find the odometers to be quite close in most cases. Just because the speed readout is off doesn't always mean the odo will be off. On digitals or analog readouts, they can have variances. Have you checked your odometer against your GPS for a reasonable distance?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems to be a tradition that motorcycle speedos are off by a couple MPH, and my '07 KLX is no exception...it's about the same varience you are seeing on your '09.

The good news? If I'm in a 40 MPH zone and running 40 MPH, I know I won't get a speeding ticket.

Us analog folk have the drive to get a Vapor, which will fix things, but I think you'd need a speedo healer to dial in the '09 speedo which isn't cheap...and every bike I've owned could use one!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

All my Jap bikes have been this way, and from what I've heard all bikes are this way. i don't know why, I just accept it as fact.
I did a dual sport ride a few weeks ago that used a roll chart with turns at specified distances. I did notice that about every mile, my odo would be off by about 2 tenths. That could either be a differance between my bike and the bike of the guy who charted the coarse, or just by our riding lines. So not sure if the odo is off or not. But not much you can really do, and not really a big deal if your odo says 500mi, and you've actually gone 490.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, every bike I've had the speedo has been a bit optomistic.
I've never bothered to check the odometer as such but my mate Rob's stock odo always indicates we have done more k's than my GPS shows.
Which would suggest that it is also reading a bit high.

My new CBF is also a bit out but only by about 3-5% depending on speed.
But, because the speed sensor is in the gear box, increasing the final gearing by replacing the stock 16 tooth front sprocket with a 17 tooth one more or less corrects it. I haven't looked at the odometer yet so I may fix one issue and cause another. mmmm

But its no biggie really.
If you are aware of it then its all good.

Same with the car. 5% error on mine.
Over here I believe the speed camera guys don't issue a ticket until you are 7kph over the limit. So combined with my speedo error I can go an indicated 10kph over and still not get pinged.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I have an 09 as well and I'm sure it's off. I wouldn't get hung up on it. You might be running around in circles with that for a good while and in the end it will still bugger up on ya.

That's just the way she goes boyz.

Quick Reply: 2009 Speedometer is off by 10%