2009 KLX250S issues starting?

Old 04-23-2017, 04:21 AM
Default 2009 KLX250S issues starting?

Hello,

I have a 2009 KLX250S, I'm the third owner.
I've had it for over a year and it always took a little longer to start.
Like if I ride it every day, i have to press the button and hold it for 10-25 seconds (which choke out) for it to start.
If I ride it once a week, its over 30 seconds.
Whenever I stop it, I turn the fuel off, let it run for 30sec and then stop it.
If i know i won't ride it for awhile, i turn the fuel off and let it run till it stops by itself.

This winter I didnt ride it much, however now that we're getting nice weather I wanna ride it more.
So far in 2 months it wore the battery from full to empty trying to start it. Twice in two months i had to tow it to my lawnmower to start it (worked lol)

Last year around October I had the carb cleaned, brand new sparkplug and also installed an FMF Powercore 4 exhaust.

Are there any reasons why this is happening? do i need to dynojet stage 2 cause of exahust or mess around with it or could it be something else?

Once the bike is started and warmed up, 80% of the time i can just turn it off and start it back up. the other 20% i need to pull the choke out and hold the starter for at least 10seconds.

I'm open to ideas.
Please and thank you

Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, a few things before you tear everything apart...
When you start it, don't open the throttle at all, none.
Your jetting may be off, others will advise.
How many miles? Your valves may be too tight.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by durielk
OK, a few things before you tear everything apart...
When you start it, don't open the throttle at all, none.
Your jetting may be off, others will advise.
How many miles? Your valves may be too tight.
no full throttle at all. (tried it with full and tried without, same amount of long time to start)
have not messed with jetting since i got it
it has 5300 miles

Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickbunyun
no full throttle at all. (tried it with full and tried without, same amount of long time to start)
have not messed with jetting since i got it
it has 5300 miles
With a pipe installed Yes you need to rejet. A Dyno jet kit is the easiest way. Just follow the instructions and it will be a new bike.

Some bikes need the starter jet drilled but rejet it first and try it.

When my bike was stock a slip on pipe an rejet made it start instantly and run beautiful.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I changed the pilot from the stock 35 to a 40 and with the coke on starts first push of the magic button. If it's been sitting for a while may take couple of cranks but it's never failed to start. I'm at sea level so I needed to go up on the pilot anyway. If you drill out the starter jet use a pinvise https://www.pjtool.com/power-tools-a...cision%20Tools and go easy bits that small are really delicate and break easly.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I had really good luck on my first start of the day by doing this.
1. Gas on
2. Top bike to the right and hold it until a drip of gas comes out of the overflow vent. Then upright
3. Choke on
4. Start bike. No throttle until it fires. Then one little blip to get it going.
5. Make fun of the guys with expensive bikes because they'll never know the KLX secret handshake.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Since you run the bike with the fuel off to run the bowl dry, I'll pass a little advice that I was given when I first started riding mine. Turn the petcock on and wait 10 seconds before you do anything. This allows the float bowl to fill up with fresh gas and should make it easier to start.

I was also shown a trick by 2 of my fellow riders who used to own a KLX. If the bike is warmed up and it still needs the choke to start, try this tip. Don't use the choke. Strange right? Yeah, but leave the choke disengaged, and start the bike. There's a sweet spot you'll have to find on your bike where you can give a quick twist of the throttle and it'll fire right up. So choke in, starter engaged, blip throttle at right moment, bike starts. It'll take some getting used to, but once you get it down it'll be amazing.

Also, look into the MCM, I haven't done it but others here swear by it.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I would go for the rejet. Sounds like it's starving for fuel. I'm not a big fan of the jet "kits" because no two bikes are the same, thus requiring different jetting. But they are great for a baseline!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture screw?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by s10gto
With a pipe installed Yes you need to rejet. A Dyno jet kit is the easiest way. Just follow the instructions and it will be a new bike.

Some bikes need the starter jet drilled but rejet it first and try it.

When my bike was stock a slip on pipe an rejet made it start instantly and run beautiful.

just ordered "Dynojet Research Jet Kit - Stage 1 and 2 2152"

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
I changed the pilot from the stock 35 to a 40 and with the coke on starts first push of the magic button. If it's been sitting for a while may take couple of cranks but it's never failed to start. I'm at sea level so I needed to go up on the pilot anyway. If you drill out the starter jet use a pinvise https://www.pjtool.com/power-tools-a...cision%20Tools and go easy bits that small are really delicate and break easly.
i got the dynojet, hopefully that will work

Originally Posted by bryan632
I had really good luck on my first start of the day by doing this.
1. Gas on
2. Top bike to the right and hold it until a drip of gas comes out of the overflow vent. Then upright
3. Choke on
4. Start bike. No throttle until it fires. Then one little blip to get it going.
5. Make fun of the guys with expensive bikes because they'll never know the KLX secret handshake.
im gonna try that thanks!

Originally Posted by LemonRX
Since you run the bike with the fuel off to run the bowl dry, I'll pass a little advice that I was given when I first started riding mine. Turn the petcock on and wait 10 seconds before you do anything. This allows the float bowl to fill up with fresh gas and should make it easier to start.

I was also shown a trick by 2 of my fellow riders who used to own a KLX. If the bike is warmed up and it still needs the choke to start, try this tip. Don't use the choke. Strange right? Yeah, but leave the choke disengaged, and start the bike. There's a sweet spot you'll have to find on your bike where you can give a quick twist of the throttle and it'll fire right up. So choke in, starter engaged, blip throttle at right moment, bike starts. It'll take some getting used to, but once you get it down it'll be amazing.

Also, look into the MCM, I haven't done it but others here swear by it.
interesting

Originally Posted by Will Shoe
I would go for the rejet. Sounds like it's starving for fuel. I'm not a big fan of the jet "kits" because no two bikes are the same, thus requiring different jetting. But they are great for a baseline!
seems easiest way for a noob like me to get dynojet, ordered that

Originally Posted by Brewster
Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture screw?

Ride on
Brewster
i did.. alot.. for some reason my bike stays revved higher than it should

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250S issues starting?