2009 KLX250s Injection - How to de-restict and unlock the power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Default 2009 KLX250s Injection - How to de-restrict and unlock the power?

I must admit, I was disappointed with the poor performance when I first test rode the UK model but figured that, like a lot of bikes, there would be a simple way to de-restrict it.

When riding the bike you can just tell it is capable of delivering more power but what is stopping it?

With my light weight girlfriend on the back it really does struggle.

Then I notice that the throttle doesn't seem to do any thing beyond 2/3 of a twist. I plan to investigate this with my oscilloscope as I think it is a data signal cable rather than a mechanical cable?? I will check tonight.

Does anyone else know how to unlock the power / un-restrict the fuel injected model?

It would be great if anyone knows... perhaps I just need to cut a wire or something, now that would be nice!!

Nick.

Last edited by Nick; 04-07-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a really good thread about this over at ThumperTalk.. I think the biggest problem had something to do with the EFI system being closed-loop, which makes it alot harder to create a PowerCommander-type unit for the ECU. Also, if you do mods such as an exhaust, the ECU doesn't have the adjustability built-in to add enough extra fuel, which will actually hurt performance.

Go check it out, its in the KLX/KLR 125/250/300 subforum at www.thumpertalk.com

Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick
I just need to cut a wire or something, now that would be nice!!

Nick.
Strictly my opinion, I'd be very surprised if there was that sort of method. Shocked, in fact. I suppose anythings possible.
FI system mod will probably require a module that plugs in between the command cable from the ECM to the injector. It merely changes the duration of the spray head by tricking the signal. The o2 sensor still works the same.
Some modules are set, some have adjustments in either software or by minature rheostats. The unit I had on my BMW F650 worked that way. I used a Staintune pipe, and adjusted it fine.

Some guys have success changing the spray head with a bigger one, however, can you find one is the problem.

Last edited by Bake; 04-06-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Try this link for some hype on de-restriction:

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...kph-t5195.html

I have the 2BR M7 on my '09 Thai Spec FI and I have not had any issues with it. It does seem to have more grunt but I am not an expert.

Last edited by pseacraft; 04-06-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I r a moron with links...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

You make it sound like a video game..."how do I unlock the power" lol

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

A a b select left right left up a b b

Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont have an EFI but i know how they work, and i would trick the sensors to think that it needs more fuel, like if you wanted a longer injector durration i would get some small capacitors and place it in parralel with the injector to keep it open longer maybe a 1uf or smaller, or maybe use a resistor on the o2 sensor to think its running lean, or maybe a resisotor on the engine temp sensor if it has one use low ohm resistors too high and it will throw it off, i'm not sure how complex the ecu is but it may give you what your looking for.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Might be best to have the PCM (ECM) re-flashed with a programmer. Those resistors do and do not work on some things. I've tested one for the IAT which is suppose to make the PCM think its colder outside. Plugged in the data reader, it was saying it was 100*F on a cool 60*F day. Took it off, it read more correctly.

Does the FI KLX use a O2 sensor? Or is it fuel mapped?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Might be best to have the PCM (ECM) re-flashed with a programmer. Those resistors do and do not work on some things. I've tested one for the IAT which is suppose to make the PCM think its colder outside. Plugged in the data reader, it was saying it was 100*F on a cool 60*F day. Took it off, it read more correctly.

Does the FI KLX use a O2 sensor? Or is it fuel mapped?
That would be the way to go. Get an 'upgraded' chip for the system. I did that with my '88 IROC-Z. The chip changes the fuel/air ratio, etc... and gives the vehicle more power. There has to be a way to re-program the eprom or to get a different one.

Mike

Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The problem is, nobody manufactures a chip, or programmer, or other type of mudule for the 09 EFI. Really recommend reading that thread over at TT, its several pages long.

Samurai edit:

Here it is I searched for ya, you're welcome

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...&highlight=efi

Last edited by cliffsta; 04-07-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s Injection - How to de-restict and unlock the power?