2009 KLX250s Excessive Oil Around Filler Cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 PM

You guys are great, thanks for all of the replies. I've changed the oil already and am very cautious of the oil levels, I never have had it get low but always watch for this. After you guys mentioned, I do this it may be the o-ring because I've noticed when I open the cap it is initially tough to turn to break it free but once unseated it spins very freely. If the o-ring was large enough, I should feel some drag for the first half turn or so, but I do not. Once I break the seal its free, no drag so yes, probably the o-ring.

Thanks again for all of your help and fast responses, it great knowing that there are so many people out there with the same bike willing to help! Looks like I've found a winner as far as forums go!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeavyFuel
It is? I've never had any oil seeping from my filler cap. In this day and age I don't think it should be acceptable for any oil to seeping from this engine at any point. I'd find a replacement for that o-ring.
you have an 06-07, mines an 09. if your super ****, yes, throw a fit and look for an oring that fits right. me on the other hand have bigger worrys, like changing tires every few months, oil ever month (or less), and breaking things from riding. ive had the problem from day one, almost two years later im fine so i dont think its a big problem.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed, same problem here and it doesn't bother me. I even bought an anodized red filler cap, still same deal but looks cool so you forget the seep is there lol.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dchestnut
... If I don't clean it after every ride, the oil ends up all over the entire side case and is a big mess! I bought the bike new, 0 miles, and havent done any mods what-so-ever...
His brand new bike is drooling oil. This is normal? I would be willing to spend a bit of time to find a proper solution to this issue.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

That is a little excessive, o-ring replacement should help. Harbor freight, buy a box of them for cheap.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dchestnut
I bought the bike new, 0 miles,
It's under warranty, take it to the dealer

Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Eff the dealer, I blew a tube and tore the sidewall on my stock rear because Kaw never put a rim strip in and they wouldn't replace my tire. Nuff said.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

The o-ring on the fill plug sits down in a "gland" in the oil fill hole. I wonder if this gland on your case was milled just a hair too deep. That would allow the shoulder of the fill plug to bottom out without adequately compressing the o-ring into the gland. When I tighten down my fill plug, I can feel the o-ring make contact with the case cover, and then I can turn it a bit more before it gets finger tight.

I got the calipers out: The o-ring is:

O.D. 24mm
I.D. 18mm
width 3mm

Material should be Nitrile rubber (NBR)

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice work bro!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks again for all of the help. I'm not excessively **** about the bike, I just dont think any bike from the factory should be leaking oil...anywhere. When I get the chance I'm going to take skubiedoobies advice and head over to wonderful Harbor Freight and get those o-rings. I know its not hurting anything since my oil level is still good but its just the fact that there is a leak, drives me nuts.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s Excessive Oil Around Filler Cap