2009 KLX250s already back to the shop :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2009 KLX250s already back to the shop :(

Ohh, tranny issue....that's the first I heard on any klx.....post a pic of the "star" gear from a bike bandit diagram or sumtin....I'd just like to see what broke and where.

I don't have warranty anymore on my 06

Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

i find it somewhat hard for that to break unless it was error when they actually made the star. anywho interested to see what they say/what it looks like.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't get a pic of the gear... anyway... i think i;m already done with this bike. picked it up from the shop today. 6 miles later, i couldn't shift into first... then i lost second. so i rode the clutch in third and shifted through 3rd-6th to get it most of the way home... another 5 miles or so and I got it into first... then second... then third... couldn't shift into 4 through 6th anymore. drove the rest of the way in third gear and that's how it sits in my garage... with about 70 something KM's on it and I can't ride it still. I've owned the bike for 2 weeks and have seen it twice...the rest of the time it's been in the shop.

the owner of the shop is a pretty stand up guy so far... but enough is enough. If i can't work out some sort of deal for him to take it back... it's getting warraty fixed again.. and sold ASAP.

It's probably unusual for this to happen however, it's left a sour taste in my mouth for Kawasaki for probably a long time... time to get a Yamaha.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Feel your pain mate. That's a poor outcome. See if he can do a deal on an 07 for you.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an 09, and have had similar issues when in 6th, pulling the clutch and coming to a stop. All I do is open the clutch up a bit and it clicks down into first. I have never had an issue with the bike rolling.

I dont know if its a placebo effect, but since i did the first oil change at 160km (oil was obviously bad) it seems to change much smoother. Im going to wait until its broken in before i worry at all. My 03 KLR had the same issue (seemed to happen more when the oil was old, but could just be perception).

Keep us posted with how it pans out, i dont blame you for being pissed, but try to release the clutch a little if you get snagged in any gear.

That being said, this 09 shifts silky smooth even the guys i know that ride XLs commented how smooth this bike is.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

yep, the '09 is much smoother shifting than my '06 ever was. that is a fact. but, saying that doesn't mean that you can just coast to a stop in 6th, get there and shift down to first with no problems. You can't and no bike will do that. You have to let out the clutch a little to get the gears to fall. Break-in, no matter what many on here say, has a huge role in the tranny. Sure, it may not affect the engine to heat it up and then flog it after ten miles or so, but the tranny is still new and maybe more than anything needs time to break in as well. This is why I don't flog my bikes right off the bat like a lot on here say they do. You need to baby them a smidge. Not saying you did this, but a lot do and trannies are fragile. When something goes wrong with the tranny, you might as well plan on a lot of down time. Is there sufficient oil in there?
Be patient. While the bike is still young, you may talk to your dealer about erasing the whole deal for another identical bike. This is unacceptable and I'd demand a new bike exactly the same. If you sell it, you'll lose your *** on it so that's really not an option. Kawi could care less if you sell your bike out of spite, you'd be the one to suffer the economic hit. Also, realize that this bike will not shift like a manual tranny on a car when downshifting.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

still doesnt compare to my problems.....

take it back and tell them you dont want it until it shifts fine. and unless the dealer makes a deal with ya kawi wont do anything to help get rid of it.... kawi will replace every part on it before giving you a new bike. Good luck. Im all to framiliar with that stuff...

Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

So i had a long chat with my dealer. he's a decent guy and went to bat for me with Kawasaki Canada (i'm dealing with the owner of the shop). I'm getting a new bike! the only catch is that they are still hard to come by here (at lest the green ones are... i don't really like the red as much). butthere should be green ones available againnext week hopefully. the only thing is that this will be the 3rd klx250s i've technically owned in the past month. i dunno what that says about Kawa's Quality Control... maybe i got all the bad ones so you guys don't have to put up with this crap!

anyway, I feel like it's 2 months ago and i can't wait to get my NEW KLX!.............................................. .again. (guess i can't really go yamaha at this point.)

still, i won't be satisfied until it's sitting in my driveway... until then, i'm still a P.O.'d customer that's down 6g's CAN with a broken downbike in my garage.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

hey that's great! congrats and shake your dealer's hand, that's a rarity for them to care like that. you deserve it. I hope you get your new bike soon. glad to see someone finally stood up and didn't just take everything as it came. good for you.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats sweet man.... but i bet the dealer worked something out with kawi.... cause kawi just wouldnt give another bike, they wouldnt even give me a new motor....

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s already back to the shop :(