2009 KLX Break In Dos/Donts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 KLX Break In Dos/Donts

So Im picking up my new 2009 KLX 250s this weekend, im pretty stoked, but thought i would get some feedback on:

- What type/viscosity oil (Im assuming its 10w40, the same wet clutch stuff as the KLR uses)
- What are the first 3-5 oil / filter change intervals?
- What RPM should i keep it under the first xkm, How long before I can open it up?
- How long before I should check the valves?
- How freaking awsome are these things?
- Anything else?

I know these have been discussed in depth, but any quick high level feedback would be great. Ill post up some pics once i get my hands on it.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Default RE: 2009 KLX Break In Dos/Donts

Take it easy for 200km or so and then ride it hard
Dont forget to change the oil and filter before you go hard.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Alot of guys here believe in the http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htmbreak in. I basicly did it my own way withsome mototune proceedures. For Eg I did the first oil and filter change after the first 20 miles I was amazed at the amount of small metal peices I could see floating in the oil tray, that is a definate must do. Basicly from there and even now of course that the engine is plenty warm before riden hard. I rode my bike pretty much how I ride it now and stuck to around 6000rpm and never went over that for the first 800 miles. If you do as the maual says to do you will probably cause an accident because you will be going so slow. There was no way in hell I could keep the revs below 4000rpm like the maunal said, no way. Because I change my oil between 600and 800 miles I use Motul 5000 10w40 synthetic based oil. I was using mineral based but have now gone to synthetic after 2500 miles.She has never skipped a beat yet, and I'm now looking forward to adding a new exhaust system to her in the next week or so to really open her lungs for the first time.................I know its gonna be great and worth it. Wishing you all the best bro, there are plenty of guys here to help out so dont hesitate to ask any questions.........Lol I'm always asking hehehehe.
Cheers!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yea I forgot to say make sure you go up and down all the gears, so a hilly area with twists and turns is a great place to start!! Stay away from long flat roads like highways for the first 200 miles if you can.
Cheers!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Isthe '09 Kawasaki suggested break in method the same as prior years (don't go above 4000 rpm's for the first 400 miles)? If so how is the rider supposed to know what RPM range they're at if there is no RPM guage on the new digital instrument cluster?

Mike

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

My opinion is that both the Moto-Tune and the Kawasaki recommended method are too harshto break in thismotor. It's not a race bike, the motor doesn't have to be "ready to go this afternoon". It's water cooled, the tolerances are very tight. Just don't abuse it and it will be fine.

I was careful to vary the RPMs. I was careful to not "lug" or rev too high (above 7500). I changed the oil at 20, 150, 300, and at 600 (the Kawasaki recommended first oil change) I switched to full synthetic. At about 2200 miles, I pulled the cylinder to swap it out for a 300 (292). My original cylinder looks brand new. I used the same break-in method on the new cylinder. I think that after about 500 miles or so, you can rev it as high as you would like.

I checked the valves when I pulled the cylinder. All were in spec, but one was close so I changed the shim since I already had it apart. They're easy to check, you can do it when it feels right to you, or wait for the recommended interval (which I think is 7500 miles).

Welcome to the club! Good luck with your break in, and have fun!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Durden it still looks pretty in green sittin in the showroom!
I broke mine in HARD....used mototunes deal but I did not bring it over 8000RPM not until I get at least 600KM on it....I was on the throttle hard then let go down to low speed again back up to 110KMH and back down again to 20 or so.... Dumped and flushed the crankcase after 30KM installed new filter the first & second flushes are a must!!! the first batch of oil was like metallic paint lots of aluminum in there... then ran it again no steady throttle I was all over the place, then I changed & flushed the oil & changed filter again at 80KM...again the oil was all metallic looking so definatly worth it again at that interval....Rode it some more and got odometer to 180KM then dumped the oil but this time it was nice and golden like oil should be so I felt good that I got all the contamenants out of there...Ntonight being @ 300KM I am going to do it again...The filters were like 10 bucks or something I bought 4 of them and am using OPTI-4 SAE10W40 costs $43.95 for 4 litres, but that is what gord puts in all the machines at precision...
so far with my 09 no complaints & the ride er hard method works...and tonight I am throwing the Dynojet kit in and the K&N airfilter but waiting for the muzzy still[:@]

Kawasaki's break in is a load of crap....no way I could ride this thing on the road for 1600KM not revving past 4....I would be a stain on the road!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

you guys get to technical... just ride the damn thing!

dont beat it the first 500 miles and change the oil within the first 250-500 miles. if you want synthetic oil wait 750-1000 miles to start using it so you give ur engine time to seat.. other than that, have fun!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:54 AM

You can spend too much time thinking about break in

Keep changing the oil and filter and ride the thing.
After all you bought it to have fun not totreat it like a puppy

Old 04-26-2008, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have moto-tuned all three of my last bike, and the 331 upgade with no known problems. I also changed oil and filter @ 100, 500 and 1000. Then every 2500 ish.

Do what your heart tells you.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX Break In Dos/Donts