2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Default 2 questions

has anyone heard anything about the quality of those bikes at pepboys?
i saw one with 200cc for $1300. sure beats the yamaha xt225 for over 4k.

also, has anyone tried using those suv racks in the rear to transport klx250?
the bike shouldn't be more than 280 pounds.... these racks are rated at 500 pound capacities.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2 questions

no idea on those pep boys bikes.....

i have seen a dual sport klr on one of those racks... i thaught about gettin one... they look pretty handy.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Stay away from any of the pep boys bikes and atvs and any other off brand I have worked on them for people you can't get parts even though they say you can... The quality is not bad but I had one with a bad oil leak and it was new the engine casting was bad I had to tear the engine down and fix it but reuse all the gaskets because he could not find any.... I always say remember if you can't get parts the machine is useless[]

Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Question 1: Don't even think about it, those are the Bayliner of bikes.....better to buy a quality used bike for the same price. Nuf said. IMHO

Question 2: I've been eyeing the aluminium ones on ebay, but I haven't bought one yet but I will, just don't know which one?

Name:  f6_1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 09-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

hey bro dont forget not all of us know boats..... all i know about bayliner is that its a boat.... haha....
ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Question 1: Don't even think about it, those are the Bayliner of bikes.....better to buy a quality used bike for the same price. Nuf said. IMHO

Question 2: I've been eyeing the aluminium ones on ebay, but I haven't bought one yet but I will, just don't know which one?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

hey bro dont forget not all of us know boats..... all i know about bayliner is that its a boat.... haha....
ROFLMAO Ok, I don't know bikes well enough to put in an appropriate brand, pick the biggest POS bike ever made and replace that brand or model with my Bayliner reference. Just like Bad Bear said no parts no go.....its disposeable like a Bic lighter, you guys know lighters right?

Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 PM

i was searching and found this

http://www.versahaul.com/vehiclecarrycapacity.htm

be very careful about that 500 pound capacity. versahaul says it also depends on your truck. check out the real load capacity for your model. i'm bummed out cause i found out my truck can't take a klx250 :-(

Old 09-15-2006, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow a question on this forum that I actually know sumthin about. Pull out the owner's manual for the vehicle in question and go to the trailer towing table. I'll use my POS 96 Exploder as an example.

Max Trailer weight is 5,000 lbs & typically your tongue load should be 10 - 15% of the trailer weight.
Max Tongue Wt. @ 10% is 500 lbs (thats pushing it on my towing ride at anything over 60 mph and I got over coils)

Now you have to consider the torque generated by having the net load sitting say 2' behind the bumper this
will reduce your tongue load capacity by about 20% or a total capacity for my ride of 400 lbs.

So figuring my KLX is about 300 lbs and the carrier is 60 lbs, I'm maxed out but do-able. That why I'm looking at the
aluminium carriers, they're lighter.... every pound matters.....gotta keep the front tires on the ground.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sakisaki

has anyone heard anything about the quality of those bikes at pepboys?
i saw one with 200cc for $1300. sure beats the yamaha xt225 for over 4k.

also, has anyone tried using those suv racks in the rear to transport klx250?
the bike shouldn't be more than 280 pounds.... these racks are rated at 500 pound capacities.

Run very fast.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

OK don't dis the Bayliner, I mean we had a couple of them when I was growing up, I'm not saying don't dis the Bayliner because of me, but I have a feeling it will just start another posting war and we don't need that here, (deej hides in the corner and prays that LV and Iowaguy don't own Bayliners) Just messing with ya

Quick Reply: 2 questions