1st ride on my new 09 KLX250S - Yep I Sunk it too!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PhotobySmith
list is getting short. guess i need to pull the carb next. not too confident with that task.
Take it back to the dealer with my tail between my legs and bend over
Divorce
Stick with it, you can do it.

Pulling the carb isn't too hard.
Then drop the bowl and remove the slide. Clean. check, put it back together.

Sounds like the clutch plates are all stuck together.
Don't worry too much about that.
Once you get it going that will free itself up and then 1 or 2 oil changes and you're OK. It won't damage anything.

I take it you have a good strong spark?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

You still getting a spark ?....the klx really does not like to start with a weak battery....charge the battery while waiting.

Oh, remove carb and clean and drain.....I figured that was understood. Its only hard the first few couple times ..... in a few months you will be able to do it in the dark.

Do not take her to the Steelership.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

If you're still needing some help, there's plenty of people in your area that would lend a hand, I bet.

Check out the Two Wheeled Texan forums for some local action and help.

http://www.twtex.com/

Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 AM

took the carb off put it back together and on the bike. Its leaking where the black rubber seal for the bowl is. It seemed too long to fit in the groove. Will need a new one I guess. Very frustrated and quitting for the nite. fun bike huh ?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PhotobySmith
took the carb off put it back together and on the bike. Its leaking where the black rubber seal for the bowl is. It seemed too long to fit in the groove. Will need a new one I guess. Very frustrated and quitting for the nite. fun bike huh ?
They expand a bit, as does the diaphram. Gentle.
But, you may have pinched it now.

Bummer, sorry as this is probably taking the shine off the new bike heh.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

You are learning everything important about your bike. After this you will be able to figure out any problems with your bike on the side of the trail and fix them and get yourself home. Some people pay money for what you are learning!!
Just looking on the + side.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

still sounds like the kickstand switch it will crank but not fire...... I just connected the wires together to "wire" around it.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Going from memory, but i could be wrong. Everything you have done can be done trailside. Including removing the carb. That is only if you are truly stranded. At some point if it's an option, calling for the truck sure beats pulling the carb in the dark.

I seem to remember a story of someone stranded and they had to sleep in the cold for the night. Was that here? Must be as I don't see that happening at the Ninja 250 forums I frequent.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Keep in mind with the spark plug - even if you pull it and visually see a spark - that might not be a strong enough spark to start the bike..

I had an old plug that visually looked fine.. Sparked and everything.. But the bike would not start at all.. Cranked and cranked and cranked and nothing. Put a new spark plug in and it fired in a half a second.

Just something else to check.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Cousin Larry is right spark can jump the plug gap outside of the cylinder and still not fire in the cylinder under compression. The best way to check out the ignition system is to remove the plug cap from the high tension lead and hold it about 1/4 inch from ground and crank it (do it in the dark it's easier to see). If the spark can jump that 1/4 inch gap the ignition system is most likely OK. Make sure there is no water in the fuel tank and lines, correctly clean and reassemble the carb and replace the plug with a new one and try again.

Quick Reply: 1st ride on my new 09 KLX250S - Yep I Sunk it too!