12T sprocket help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I bought the same sprocket from RMATV. I didn't notice it was rubbing the engine case until I took the sprocket off. It had only rubbed a little bit. If you had the tools at your disposal you could make an additonal spacer to get the clearance you need. I took the 12t off because I didn't like the way it felt. It had a little quicker snap to it, but then nothing to back it up. The ratio of a 12/42 (3.5:1)and a 13/45 (3.46:1) is nearly the same. A lot of factors come into play finding the gearing that works for you. I know form running the 12/42 that I wouldn't like the 13/45. Deej is a bigger guy, maybe the 13/45 gearing feels the same to him as the 13/42 feels to me. I would try to find a spacer for your 12t to see if you like the feel before you spend a bunch of money on a chain and a 45t to get the same ratio as the 12/42. For me my money is on the 13/42.
Also, I wouldn't get my panties in a twist worrying about the smaller dia of the 121t. Put it on, run it, and see if you wear out a chain a lot faster. Sure it's technically harder on the chain, but is it that much harder on it? Your chain has to deal with things that do more damage than a small sprocket will.
Dan

Originally Posted by Gobius
OK gents, I'm having a problem. I dropped down to a 13T countershaft sprocket (I think it's a Moose part), and I like it. But, I need to go lower for the tight trails. So I ordered a 12T from Rocky Mountain ATV. The part I got is made by Primary Drive (Part # 34212). It fits fine on the splines, but when I crank down the CS nut, it binds such that I get a lot of resistance to turning the rear wheel. It looks like the problem is that the inner shoulder in the Primary Drive part is not quite as thick as the one on the Moose part.

So, my question is, can I get an inner spacer for this, or do I just have the wrong part? Does anyone have a source and part # for one that for sure works?

I guess if it comes down to it, I can just go to a 45T rear, but I'd rather not buy a new chain if I don't need to.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses! You guys have talked me into the new chain and rear sprocket route. I ordered a 108 link chain and a 47t rear sprocket from RMATV. That way I figure I can use the 14/47 combo for the limited street riding that I do, and 13/47 for the dirt. I would have gone for a 46 if I could find one for less than $55.

My issue with gearing hasn't been with grunt as much as stall speed. Last time I was riding tight dirt trails with the 13/42 combo I felt like I didn't get out of first gear all day, and I was doing a lot of clutch feathering. So I need more of a granny gear, especially for downhill sections.

maninthesea: I'm not ready to give up my stock 42 just yet, but if I do it's yours.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but no-one said you need a 108 for that combo, it was a 108 for the 45 rear, for the 47 you will need a 110

Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

According to this post by The Mekon
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...=sprocket+gear
a 108 will work for 13/47 and 14/47, the "magic number" for the 108 chain being 60 +/-1.

Is this incorrect?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

According to this post by The Mekon
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...=sprocket+gear
a 108 will work for 13/47 and 14/47, the "magic number" for the 108 chain being 60 +/-1.

Is this incorrect?

Hmm, that would be close but should just fit. I ran a 14/49 w/110 link and had lots of room....now I run a 14/45 with a 108 ...... the 108 may fit a 47.

Ok who's done it? Post up

Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

My issue with gearing hasn't been with grunt as much as stall speed. Last time I was riding tight dirt trails with the 13/42 combo I felt like I didn't get out of first gear all day, and I was doing a lot of clutch feathering. So I need more of a granny gear, especially for downhill sections.

maninthesea: I'm not ready to give up my stock 42 just yet, but if I do it's yours.
when and where are you riding?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Gobius
Thanks for putting me in line. It looke like I will be getting a new sprocket soon. I can see wear on my rear.
Cheers Jim

Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
when and where are you riding?
Walker Valley and Tahuya mostly. This time of year Walker is pretty snotty and therefore a bit technical for me (I'm pretty much a noob in the dirt), so I prefer Tahuya. Only problem there is the giant water holes. I hope to be getting out a lot more often after the quail season closes over on the dry side.

Last edited by Gobius; 01-09-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Hmm, that would be close but should just fit. I ran a 14/49 w/110 link and had lots of room....now I run a 14/45 with a 108 ...... the 108 may fit a 47.

Ok who's done it? Post up
Count the links? Who has time for that?

I have 14/47, but I just installed the chain, set the axle alignment, and cut off the excess when I was satisfied with the chain slack and axle alignment. I always see these posts about folks buying new chains and wanting to know the exact chain link number. I buy a chain that I know is longer and then just bench grinder the excess length. The slightly longer chains don't cost any more that I've seen. Am I missing something?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Count the links? Who has time for that?

just bench grinder the excess length. The slightly longer chains don't cost any more that I've seen. Am I missing something?
I guess if it works, I selected to buy the tool that presses the chain apart.
pretty soon I'll have an extra chain

Quick Reply: 12T sprocket help