12 volt power outlet

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 12 volt power outlet

Anyone hook one up? What do I need to know?

I would like to just take a quick trip to radioshack and zip tie it up through the frame-then mount up somewhere. Would be nice to run GPS as long as I like.

http://www.whybike.com/blog/index.php?p=104

Old 10-13-2008, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you want it switched or not?
If not I'd wire it straight to the battery with the right sized wire depending on what you want to power with it.
But, be careful. MAKE SURE IT IS FUSED.
And, if you go straight to the battery, you may end up with a flat one if you are not careful.
If you want it switched, I would find somewhere up near the ignition switch to splice it in. Again. Make sure it's properly fused.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup. I bought one offered by Daytona called Power Station.

It has 2 cigarette lighter style sockets side by side with rubber plugs on a lanyard which protect the socket while nothing is plugged in. The outlet end has an internal fuse, as most should have, but don't stop there. Give whatever you install a fuse at the battery end as well, so if you accidentally pinch the hot wire into the frame, or it chafes through and shorts, it won't bring down your entire system while the wire smoke checks itself.

I double-back-taped my outlet to the side of my digi speedo and it has held for over 2 years now without issue. I use the outlet for my GPS and will soon make use of it for a Tourmaster Synergy Heated vest.

I ran the wires along the main harness directly to the battery inside of some very small chafe guard.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The highest quality stuff you can arrange in custom adapter setups is available here:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/

Chasing the details you can see that you can put some really neat stuff together, especially if you know how to solder wires and use heat-shrink tape.

I've done a lot of these over the years and really prefer the high quality versions of the BMW-style plugs. The KLX is going to get one. I wonder if a KLX while riding at speed can keep up with my Aerostich Kinetsu heated vest? We shall see....

Here you can see two of them at the lower frame on my KLR650. BTW, the swiss-made clock and liquid-filled thermometer are also in the Aerostich catalog:

Name:  AerostichClockThermometer.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  103.5 KB

Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the catalog link! Pretty cool.

I couldn't imagine I'd be hooking too many things up at once, but what is the total draw power this bike/battery can handle?

I'm not planning on hooking up a 14" sub and amp, but I'm still curious. And it's yucky out, I don't wanna go outside and look on the battery.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

You can pull 12V off of the brown wire in the wiring harness. This seems to be the main power circuit for the bike and it's only powered when the ignition is on (powers headlight, dash lights, etc). Black / yellow is ground or you can ground to the frame.

You could tap into the brown wire going into the horn. The horn button works on the negative side of the horn. Or into the dash harness beneath the instrument panel.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got a yuasa battery tender and it came with the plug you hard wire for it,I went to pepboys and bought the 12volt accessory plug and use that for my GPS on my klx and the zrx.I just switch the plug from bike to bike and store it under the seat when not using.I want to say I only paid like $2.00 for it

Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mc1457
You can pull 12V off of the brown wire in the wiring harness. This seems to be the main power circuit for the bike and it's only powered when the ignition is on (powers headlight, dash lights, etc). Black / yellow is ground or you can ground to the frame.

You could tap into the brown wire going into the horn. The horn button works on the negative side of the horn. Or into the dash harness beneath the instrument panel.
Handy to know. I'll be adding a 12V plug some time soon. GPS needs fuel too. Sounds like the easiest place to access some current. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Einfahrt
The highest quality stuff you can arrange in custom adapter setups is available here:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/

Chasing the details you can see that you can put some really neat stuff together, especially if you know how to solder wires and use heat-shrink tape.

I've done a lot of these over the years and really prefer the high quality versions of the BMW-style plugs. The KLX is going to get one. I wonder if a KLX while riding at speed can keep up with my Aerostich Kinetsu heated vest? We shall see....

Here you can see two of them at the lower frame on my KLR650. BTW, the swiss-made clock and liquid-filled thermometer are also in the Aerostich catalog:

I ran a dynamic test about a year ago and the bike's system was able to maintain with an addition load rated at 12V 60W (incandescent sealed beam headlight on high beam). Most electrical products draw slightly more than what they are rated at though.

The actual consumption of the lamp when measured with an ammeter and applicable math employed was about 70W.

That's with the bike's headlight ON, so that's not too shabby for a 250cc dual sport.

If the Kinetsu is rated at around 60W, I'd say you have a good chance.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 12 volt Outlet

Here's an alternate way to add a BMW style (Powerlet) 12 volt outlet to your 2006/07 KLX250S.
The turn signals have been relocated to the Aceribis brush guards so I mounted the 12 volt outlet in the hole originally used for the turn signal. It's tucked in behind the number plate so it doesn't catch on any brush while riding on the trails.
It's wired directly to the battery with a fuse in line.
I use it to connect the battery tender and my electric vest during cold weather.
I haven't done it yet but will also add a switch to turn off the headlight and taillight to provide more current for electrics while riding on the trail.

Doug in NC

Quick Reply: 12 volt power outlet