1,200 miles on the 351, pulled the head today

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

OK

I talked to Cometic gasket today about the copper gasket I use on the 351 kit. They say the copper gasket does need to have a good grade of gasket sealer used on it so it will seal better, they recommend Gasgacinch; also, the copper gasket needs to be retorqued once after running one heat cycle.

I also talked with one of the automotive engine builders in Wichita. He uses copper head gaskets on some of his race engines and uses gasket sealer or aluminum paint on them. He recomends retorquing the head gasket at least once after running one heat cycle.

In the old days when a copper head gasket was used on a cycle, we torqued them two times, once before & once after running for a few minutes.

So I recomend all of the copper head gaskets be retorqued at least once after one heat cycle.

Bill Blue

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

All I can say is I've never used a sealent on a head gasket and I've never had a problem. Maybe Cometic sells or knows where you can buy Gasgacinch.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

The Gasgacinch website has a links area that lists where to buy

http://www.gasgacinch.com/gasgacinch_004.htm

Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I am in the same boat now too. I used the copper spray and it didn't work for me. Found it on the rad cap? So I would use what Cosemtic and Bill suggest. The copper sealer says only good up to 500*? Gasgacinch is not effect by heat?

I order the gasgacinch form Parts unlimited through my Kawie dealer.

Plan on retorque this time after first cycle too.

Bill has my cylinder and piston he said if I would have retorqued I would have probably fine. It puffed some white smoke the lasttime I fired it so I pulled everything to be safe.

Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Never thought to try Napa.. I'm going to swing by tomorrow. If not, I'll get the Permatex stuff. *EDIT: nevermind, not after what Wild Will said.. Yeah, that's what stopped me from buying it - the seemingly low temp limit.

Here she is - sitting patiently saying "I hope the new head gasket comes soon!

I didn't want to re-use the old one.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I use the stuff like its going out of style at work=======I believe ours says edelbrock gasketsinch on the cans====I could be wrong===wouldnt be the first time today

Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep same stuff!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I got the head gasket today (thanks bill!) Unfortunately the USPS decided to fold it into thirds..

Yah..

I'm sitting here trying to get it flat again. Plus still trying to find the gaskacinch.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Well, I got the head gasket today (thanks bill!) Unfortunately the USPS decided to fold it into thirds..

Yah..

I'm sitting here trying to get it flat again. Plus still trying to find the gaskacinch.
Package must have had "Do Not Bend" wrote on it for that to happen. Good luck with the flattening!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry

Yah..

If that is the case it doesn't matter how much gaskacinch you use. The more you work with copper the stiffer it becomes. If you don't anneal it you will lose the crush properties you need to create a tight seal. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1,200 miles on the 351, pulled the head today