09 Kawasaki KLX250S - Day One

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

not to try to rub it in or anything of that nature, but i have not gotten a flat tire yet, and i have put 350 dirt miles on the thing.
i have raced it in a hare scramble, ridden over some perty intense whoops, and gone thru some perty ruff trail. i hope that i dont get one anytime soon!!! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!! good luck with it tho, youll have fun with it!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Spend some time reading before you even buy anything.

Soak it all up, ask some questions, then do the things you think are best

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=20710

A lot of this stuff is applicable, too

http://www.planetklx.org/

Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

The problem is the bike comes super lean from the factory to begin with that there isn't much you can do before you should re-jet.

I would just collect all your parts ( muffler, jet kit, snorkel, air filter, etc. ) and just intall it all at the same time. I did it that way and it only took a few hours out in the garage and then your jetting will be right.

I wouldn't waste my time with drilling the baffles in the stock muffler, it and the factory cat are very restrictive. Just replace them altogether and be done with it.

Drilling the slide happens when you do the jet kit. Inside the carb is a slide that is vacuum operated. It has a little tiny hole already, all you do is make it bigger, which results in a little better throttle response. Although some kits you don't drill the slide, you change the spring, which does the same thing. It all depends on what jet kit you get.

Just remember, once you start modding you can never stop

Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thejackcutts
....not to try to rub it in or anything of that nature, but i have not gotten a flat tire yet...
You know, you just hosed yourself.

Earlier this year, I got 2 on my KLX, 1 on my KLR, and 1 on my XR650, all in a period of 2 weeks.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tngw1500se
At least you got your first flat tire out of the way!

hahaha nice. Wait....are we supposed to get a flat tire? Never had one, and you guys have seen some of my ride reports. Gnarly volcanic rock, trails and whatnot..... 14,500 miles and not even a low tire. Hmmmm Uh oh, did I just hose myself too? hahahahaha

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
bike is poop. Dump it and buy something that costs 3X a much and has a terrible record for reliability. YOU deserve something that can barely charge its own battery let alone power anything besides a headlight.

Or if you don't want to go that route, get something that just arrived from out of the 1970's... again. Air cooled is the new thang yo. I know i'm all up in the club when i roll in rocking the cooling fins and my pant legs are smoking. Thats how they know you are HOT.

Word to yo mother. Gotta keep it real ... homie slice.
Well there is always going to be someone who doens't like something. If you hate the bike so bad, why not sell it and move onto a different forum. Just messing with ya man. Seriously, most of us love the bike for what it is. For a lot of us getting back into a two wheel machine after many many years of sitting on a couch was just what the doctor ordered. I'm sorry Wildcard that you don't like the KLX, and we all respect that opinion, after all that's what makes for a well rounded forum.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

DO NOT drill the exhaust. I cut mine apart and saw what is really in there.
That "baffle" everyone is drilling is your spark arrester. It already has plenty of openings to move the air out. It will make it slightly louder. But will not help. Unless you really believe that louder is faster!
Way down in there you can do some drilling, if it's cut apart, to what I assume is the CAT. Then replace the 1/2" tip with some 1" or bigger pipe. Then your getting somewhere. Warning! If you decide to cut the exhaust open and do the mods I did, the 3 or $400 for a Q4 doesn't look so bad anymore.
DON'T BOTHER with the crankcase vent mod either. You don't gain anything and it can lead to trouble in the future.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Well there is always going to be someone who doens't like something. If you hate the bike so bad, why not sell it and move onto a different forum. Just messing with ya man. Seriously, most of us love the bike for what it is. For a lot of us getting back into a two wheel machine after many many years of sitting on a couch was just what the doctor ordered. I'm sorry Wildcard that you don't like the KLX, and we all respect that opinion, after all that's what makes for a well rounded forum.
I really gotta stop trying to use sarcasm on you folks around here... or are you turning the sarcasm back on me ?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I came to the realization at the end of this very long day today, that I need to look for a softer seat for this thing.

My butt is killing me....

Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive not seen much for seats for the KLX, but I have seen many are using the ATV seat cover from walmart, I am thinking of ordering one for my KLX.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Bl...Cover/10727537

Quick Reply: 09 Kawasaki KLX250S - Day One