09 brake upgrade review

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 09 brake upgrade review

ok, after 3 orders, 1 return and 1 cancelled order, i can now review ebc's mx-s pads, ebc supercross contour rotors, and bill blue stainless brake lines. as the story goes, im pretty sure i bent the oe rear rotor when i broke my foot, cus ever sence then i noticed the caliper jumping back and forth when the rear wheel turns. i tryed bike bandit for some ebc oe replacements, and they must have assumed the 06-07 was the same as the 09-10 bikes, cus the rear rotor was to small, and the front had 6 mounting holes and not 4 (not sure what the 06-07 are).

dont have a picture of the front. i had a internet chat with a customer service rep and they said they would call ebc and find out which ones i needed. she gets back to me 20 mins later saying i needed such ans such rotors and not those, and to return them and they would send out the right ones. either way i chose to do the brake lines to see the diffrence. they definally gave a stronger, more consistance and senstive feel. i knew i still needed the pads, but wanted to hold off till i had the rotors. after a week of not hearing anything, i got a hold of another rep and they said they couldnt get them period and they where going to refund that portion of the order. then after a failed attempt on ebay, i found oemcycle.com. they didnt have the oe rotors, but they did have some supercross contours, little cheaper than oem (30 cheaper rear, about 80 front), they advertised them to have more grip . after about a week, i got them today and threw them on. the way i mounted the front line i had to loosen it to replace the pads, so i rebleed the front. took it for a spin around town to break in the rotors/pads, and see how it stopped. all i can say is the bike stops a whole lot faster. i got the mx-s for there grip, and boy do they ever. rotors look great and definally help with the stoping power. topped off the the stainless lines, for the feel to really push the edge. probably the best set up right now with out going with a bigger front rotor or changing to parts front a kx or something, all these parts where advertsided for the 09 klx.

it fits this time

oe rear vs ebc supercross contour rear

oe front vs ebc supercross contour front

new front look

new rear

new rotors wherent the only thing cheaper then oe and far better in looks and quality. had too when i replaced the shift star.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 07-27-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

whats the link for the stainless brake lines.... Kawasaki decided to put these nice big brakes on the new SF's and decided to compliment it with the crappy rubber lines that flex so much and make the brakes so mushy and inconsistent.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

nice review... kinda works out well for others you were able to do them one at a time for feel of each change. I've been thinking on the stainless lines myself but will probably have my forks re-valved and springs swapped first.

Wonder if they have rotors for 07' as well, I don't need them yet, but when I do a good source for something cheaper with better bite would be nice. I'm not expecting to do stoppies, but more would definitely be better. I've only REALLY had to munch the brakes once on this... but they kinda ran outta grip before I ran out of desire to stop faster.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/page_2.html
pictures at the bottom, prices and how to order i think on page 5. and im pretty sure they make ebc's for the 07's.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Do any of y'all out there find the more progressive feel of rubber brake lines somewhat advantageous in off road situations? I had a Galfer SS front brake line on my KLR650 which is a ton heavier than our KLX's, and it was "almost" a little too touchy in the dirt. On pavement I would have liked even more power...the single piston on the 650 caliper isn't inspiring, but it was fairly effective off road with an SS line. I've thought about an SS line for my KLX, but I can see the off road performance perhaps coming on too quickly and too aggressively with our 2-piston brakes. I mainly use my KLX off road, but I can see where on-pavement performance can improve without issue.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

There is certainly something to be said for being able to read you front brake sensitivity gravel and loose stuff, but once you get used to the stainless front it is much the same, I find. Stainless on the rear makes no difference to braking power over the rubber as it is so short so expansion is minimal.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

red, I was going to suggest that the rubber brake lines work fine for me because my riding skill allows me to hardly even touch the brakes...but...I didn't want to come off sounding like this Iowa Guy y'all speak of frequently here.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

from what ive felt, yes, to some people stainless lines are going to be pointless. some people wont even be able to tell the diffrence, or their riding style doesnt show the need for it. me, if you cant tell by the rotors and pads ive chosen, the bike gets riden a kx250. i find the limit of braking easier to control now, making me lock the wheel up less and brake a bit deeper into turns. after i put the mx-s pads on, i found the you didnt have to brake near as hard to stop so i rarely brake more than just the pads draging on the rotor (on the street). i think i might need an extra set of rims with pure dirt tires to brake any harder.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
red, I was going to suggest that the rubber brake lines work fine for me because my riding skill allows me to hardly even touch the brakes...but...I didn't want to come off sounding like this Iowa Guy y'all speak of frequently here.
Do not invoke the name of he who shall not be named.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Do not invoke the name of he who shall not be named.

+ one million!!!! LOL

Quick Reply: 09 brake upgrade review