09' 331 Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

whatever man.... 180 yes from my pic which was at the end of the exhaust stroke and just about to open the intake valve. which your picture shows yours at the end of the compression stroke just about to open the exhaust valve. mine still on TDC just a different stroke. It runs through TDC twice in one complete cycle. If your doing yours right now then rotate your crank around once back to TDC and your cams will be like mine were in the pic, rotate twice and it will be back to the way your pic is now.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I dunno guys. The pics in the manual clearly describe what kgwld1 describes.

How could you line up the marks on the cam sprockets with the head (& crank at TDC) if your cams are out of phase? How did you line your cams?

Really there is only one point where both valves are completely closed--TDC compression. between the exhaust-intake strokes BOTH intake & exhaust should be open slightly at TDC. In your first pics this looks to be the case with the intake valves, cant see the exhaust.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats fine but you don't have to explain to me what TDC is......

Old 11-28-2008, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

They are not out of phase, its just the 180 degrees around on the cams and the piston is on TDC again. Two revolutions of the crank to one revolution of the cams (2:1). But I'm done arguing about this. I know I have it setup right, and she is running great.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, if your happy, I'm happy. But unless you are on TDC compression your valves are open, at least they were when you took it apart.

How did you align your cams?

Last edited by KLXer; 11-28-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I marked the sprocket side of the cams with a sharpe and installed them the same way i took them off making sure the crank was still at TDC. If you look in the manual it shows a pic of the timing marks. the way mine was when i took it apart was just rotated 180 clockwise due to it being on the TDC of the exhaust stroke. so the (IN) mark on the intake came and (EX) mark on the ehaust cam where not the same as the book but just 180 from that position. And I double checked today as when I rotated the crank through one more revolution the marks on the cams would line up as in the book and the cam lobes would then be as kgwld1 said 180 from my pic earlier.

Last edited by SPKGO; 03-15-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SPKGO
I marked the sprocket side of the cams with a sharpe and installed them the same way i took them off making sure the crank was still at TDC.
Same end result, just more work. No need to create new marks on the sprockets if you started at TDC of the compression stroke, right?

Me thinks you maybe had the tensioner loose before you realized you were on the exhaust stroke. Otherwise, why plan-on going through the extra step of marking the sprockets with a Sharpie??

Sorry bro, just couldn't resist. Not that it couldn't happen to any of us.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you have any issues with the valve cover gasket getting seated properly? Did it look like it was almost too small or did it fit pretty good with the lip on the cover?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Did you have any issues with the valve cover gasket getting seated properly? Did it look like it was almost too small or did it fit pretty good with the lip on the cover?
Even if you seat the gasket properly, you still have to apply silicone rubber sealant to the half circle shapes or oil will leak. I think that's the problem the factory was having.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never heard of two TDCs. I have always understood Top Dead Center is when piston #1 is all the way up, before the first stroke (intake). Anything afterwards is in a stroke (intake, combustion, power, exhaust). Otherwise you have valves open and closed, so even if the piston is up (top dead) you're not on the "center". But if you got it back together and it started and ran then you figured it out.

Quick Reply: 09' 331 Install Pics