06 klx stalling out at half a tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 06 klx stalling out at half a tank

Hi, I just got an 06 250s with 12,000kms on it and twice now when I get to about 100kms on the tank the bike won't stay running, keeps stalling out on me, I fix the problem by filling it back up with gas, but I know that's not the problem, since it still has like a half tank of gas left. Only thing I can think of is when I open the tank and close it again if that's doing something.

My question is, do these bikes have a petcock or equivalent and if so where is it so I can check it and what do you guys think about that being the problem?

Old 05-01-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the vent hoses (X2) on the left side of the tank are there, and that they are patent. Could be a vacuum building that's causing the problem

Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, what he^ said check the vents under your gas cap

Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you changed anything? Put a fuel filter in place? Changed fuel tanks?

I put an inline fuel filter in my fuel line and had the same symptoms you describe. I removed the filter and it was back to normal.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

To answer your question, yes, the bike does have a petcock. On the left side of the bike, locate the top of the rear shock and you should see it. What position is it in when the bike stalls. I suspect that it is in the on position. At the time of stalling, turn the petcock to reserve. See if that works.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scallen
To answer your question, yes, the bike does have a petcock. On the left side of the bike, locate the top of the rear shock and you should see it. What position is it in when the bike stalls. I suspect that it is in the on position. At the time of stalling, turn the petcock to reserve. See if that works.
Thanks SC for keeping me from making a jerk of myself by posting some wise azz reply about the fuel petcock and maybe alienating a new member here. When I saw the question my first reaction was that bomb was spoofing us since all of our tanks go "dry" until you flip the petcock to the secondary fuel pickup.

My mistake was to ASSUME (oh how that word can do damage!) that bomb was a seasoned rider familiar with basic bike functions. Maybe that's because I don't think of the KLX as a beginners bike, as most of us have migrated to it from some other two wheeled conveyance and understand the basics. A better explanantion might have been that the bike is new to him and he doesn't know how all the controls function - just like the rest of us when we just got our bikes.

A long time ago a teacher impressed upon me that there are no silly questions, only ones that go unasked. Lord knows I've asked for some pretty basic stuff myself here and generally get well meaning responses. Heck, that's one of the reasons I like this forum, although occasionally I miss IG (j/k deej!)

Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I hit the reserve today after just 52 miles of trail riding. Perhaps the reserve portion of our fuel tanks is freaking huge. Like 1 gallon. I got back to the truck after another 8 miles and there looked to be a lot of gas left in there.

My trail riding was pretty severe though. I was a sweep rider for an enduro so lots of 1st and second gear.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi, ya, I'm fairly new to bikes, infact I was asking about a petcock when I should have been asking about the vent... LOL.. after reading these posts if I understand correctly the petcock is the switch for the tank that I can choose either "on" "off" or "reserve"?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, that's the petcock. The "on" position takes fuel from a little standpipe that sits a couple of inches up off the bottom of the tank. The "reserve" position takes fuel from the actual bottom of the tank.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to find out what kind of mileage I'm getting after my mods to the carb etc. I'm at 86 miles (road and trail) and haven't hit reserve yet. I've seen it in a post here what the reserve capacity is but can't remember. Bombagee, what position has your petcock been in? 100 kms is 82.131 miles so you may be hitting the capacity of the on petcock position and need to switch to reserve.

Quick Reply: 06 klx stalling out at half a tank