06 isnt starting ===

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 06 isnt starting ===

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!======I've owned this bike for two weeks and put 200 miles on it=====Yesterday I went to start the bike and the starter solenoid/relay clicked rapidly and then the bike cranked====it cranked and cranked and cranked=====but wouldnt start=====before this symptom it would start every time with choke and no throttle-------i cranked it until the battery was dead===so I charged the battery overnight the battery tender said the battery was fully charged======still bike cranks and wont start====I checked spark--ive got spark===I get fuel coming out of the petcock to the carb----i've got fuel====I compression started the bike and it ran and idle'd like it should====as soon as I shut it off and tried to crank again=====it seemed to crank slower than usual and again wouldnt start====then as I let off of the starter button it fired and started======I work with 12volt automotive systems everyday====but I dont have a wiring diagram for this bike=======in my opinion the engine isnt being cranked fast enough by the starter===which in turn makes it not start====my buddy has an 06 klx250s and his sounds like it cranks much faster than mine===so I decided that maybe my battery is junk and cant hold charge or supply proper amperage=====so I bought a new battery ======the kid added the acid and sealed it up and I was out the door(knowing the battery was only 80percent charged) We went up to walker valley and rode 4 hours=====each time I tried to start the bike====it would crank and not start===so I would compression start it and ride====I am at a loss as to why this thing suddenly overnight wont start======I havent dumped it -----its got 9000 miles--so I am wondering if maybe the starter motor is tired====OR should I charge my new battery overnight and try again tommorrow=====though the battery tender went solid green after 15 minutes of charging the new battery====HELP===and sorry about the long winded post

Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

As strange as it may seem....a non-perfect klx battery can be a real pia when trying to start the bike....even with a kicker. You can always kick the bike....but God forbid a weak battery trying to use the starter.

I know that bad batt click solinoid sound.......fully charge your new batt....I bet she starts right up....I know, don't make sense, it just works.

Post up what happens.

btw....you just got a trickle charger right...not a Battery Tender or at least what I call a battery tender

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 05-17-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Checkand see if you have a lose wire on the starter...maybe the wire on the cdi box came lose??? Thats were I would start is making sure every wire was conected good! Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the battery tender junior======and after showing the red 80percent charged light=======it just now started blinking which means trickle charge======in about 10 minutes it should go solid green ----meaning maintaining full charge======but I did cheap out and buy the battery tender JUNIOR=======Should I be using a different charger? and if so====can an automotive trickle charger work? which I dont have BTW the only thing I have is the battery tender junior
===

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

No, No sir ..... you are taking my post all wrong. The Battery tender jr is a fine device. If It gives you an all clear signal on a new batt you are good to go on a battery.

Will the klx start now?? I recently went through this on my 06 klx and kicked it for a couple months before fixin it ....I may be able to help ya.

As far as chargers go....nuthin I have ever seen will beat a Battery Tender dvd-40....best algorithim on the market...if it can't bring back a battery ... nuthin can....never mind running a lil klx battery thru full charger in less than an hour.

Great toy to own....google it.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

no the bike wouldnt start when the light went solid green=========yes the gas was on LOL------and it cranked and cranked ======and it seems to still be cranking a little bit too slow=====in fact I cranked it until the new battery started to slow down even more====3 days ago the bike was full choke and push the start button and it cranked for 1 second of less and was running======anyways I am auto mechanic that specializes in electrical---------if I had a wiring diagram and my test light====I should eventually figure it out LOL=======I'd rather stick with what other KLX'rs have had go wrong====you find the solution a lot of times that way=====

Last edited by clgdswr; 05-17-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok this may sound stupid .... but it would have proved me wrong six months ago when I had the same problem. Since you are a mechanic hook up a good new regular automotive type 12 volt battery to the klx...she will start right up...try it and have a beer to laugh to try to figure it out.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

i could just use jumper cables and it would give the same effect=======but I agree I know all ready it would start==its because the car battery has much much more available amperage to rotate the engine when it cranks==meaning it cranks the engine so fast it fires right up======but something has changed with my bike since I last rode it======It was full choke and just touch the starter button and that thing was running======and POW it cranks and cranks and even if it is cranking ok===I dont understand why it did this out of the blue------I am going to leave it on the charger overnight====cause its telling me right now its fully charged=====but I am going to let it maintain the battery overnight and maybe it will fire up ======I am wondering if the starter is drawing all the power out of the battery cause the starter is going bad=======the bike has 9000 miles====when I compression start it======it fires instantly and I can ride====I dont have the kickstart for it====OH yeah====what was wrong with your bike?

Last edited by clgdswr; 05-17-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope you're thinking too much....the SAME THING stumped me....I had a klx battery that would even pass my awesome DVD-40 charging system....guess what!!!

A buddy made me hook up a regular car batt to the klx...sure enough, started right up. I ordered a new klx battery and for the last 6 months..... no problems kick or electric start.....I KNOW THAT CLICK of which you speak....lol

Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

it only clicked like that once=====tonight the battery tender said the battery was fully charged------and it still cranked a little slow in my opinion and didnt start=====I OVERTHINKING the hell out of this LOL===I am wondering if the ACR system is malfunction which is making it crank a little too slow to start=====but alas I am going to let the tender which is green and at maintain level====continue overnight=====and I am afraid it still wont start------and this is the new battery I am talking about that seams to crank it a little too slow
I'll find out in the morning

Quick Reply: 06 isnt starting ===