"Tour de Apalachicola-II" January 12-15, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Default "Tour de Apalachicola-II" January 12-15, 2007

Well, EMS you requested the info on the tour, so here it is!

Place - Camp Indian Springs
Waukalla, Florida (just south of Tallahassee)

The Apalachicola National Forest is right there - we're talking about 564,961 acres of dirt riding here! There's something for everyone, high speed dirt roads, slow and technical single track where you weave your handlebars between the trees as you ride and some typical Florida weather for all you frozen folks.

The dates are January 12th thru 15th of 2007. That's Martin Luther King's birthday weekend, a lot of government has Monday off.

Now the cost is quite extravagent - how does $8.00 a night per person sound? That includes a bed in a cabin with other folks, hot showers and coffee and biscuits or such for breakfast and dinner on Thursday and Sunday evenings! Pretty good deal. On Friday, there is a seafood (or seefood) buffet at a local watering hole that is outstanding. I'm not sure what is planned for Saturday evening, but I think something good is planned.

Here's a report on last year's event.

Here's the complete list of events:

Hi All,
Please mark Thursday, January 11th, 2007 through Monday, January 15th, 2007 in your calendar for Tour de Apalachicola Two - The Adventure Continues. It will be held at Camp Indian Springs in Wakulla County, Florida. This is about 20 miles south of Tallahassee, Florida.

http://www.campindiansprings.com/

Guided rides will be provided Saturday and Sunday. These rides will be on the graded roads through the Apalachicola National Forest, as well as a coastal scenic/historic ride and some mild single track. More rides will probably be added and volunteers are being sought for ride leaders.

Dinner will be provided on Saturday night and a light breakfast of bagels, toast and coffee will be provided Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings. Friday evening will be the dual sport invasion of the local Seafood Buffet that was so well received last year. Sunday evening meal will be up for grabs.

We will have access to the old dining hall for a tech space. This is a huge dry hall with a concrete floor and electricity. So the wrenching can go too late in the evening and will not be effected by thunder storms and other acts of god.

Tentative schedule:

Thursday – Early bird arrival

Friday – regular arrival

Friday 6:30 pm Seafood buffet at Savannah’s Restaurant

Friday evening – tech session

Saturday morning – coffee bagel breakfast

Saturday about 10am – guided rides departing

Saturday 6:30pm – group meal and awards/giveaway ceremony

Saturday Evening – tech session

Sunday morning – coffee bagel breakfast

Sunday about 10am – guided rides departing

Sunday 6:30pm – dinner –still open

Sunday evening – tech session

Monday – load out

Hope to see y'all up there for a great time! I do believe there will be about 5 KLX's there this year. Hope to see more!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: "Tour de Apalachicola-II" January 12-15, 2007

thanks marty. i will see if i can make it... i hope so.. but not looking good right now...

Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 PM

Hey, this looks like a great time!

Is there a website for sign-up/info/b-s'ing about the ride? I'd like to truck-pool with someone if it makes sense.

Lance

Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 PM

The website most of us in the Southeast hang around is KLR World . com.

Just check out the Southeast Forum there - it's one of the stickies.

Hope this helps.

So where are ya' from Tennisman?

Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 AM

Kennesaw, Georgia, near Atlanta.

Lance

Old 11-28-2006, 03:25 AM

Tennisman, I am seriously thinking about going to the Tour. I am not familiar with how best to get there from Winston-Salem, NC, but if it is on the western side fo FL, then I would think I would be well served to head to Atlanta and take I-75 down to FL. If you want, we could make plans to meet and head down together.

Nobrakes, you interested your bike over to Winston and taking her south on the back of my truck. I imagine if we are creative we could fit 3 KLX250S's in the back of my F-150.

Wouldn't that be a sight? Three green beasts rolling south in the bed of a pickup.

C'mon. You know you want to show off that tricked out ride. You might even get a chance to steal some of Marty's thunder with the battle of the pumper carbs.

Chris

Old 11-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Chris,

Looks like you head south to Charlotte, pick up 77, then 20 and finally 319 and head towards Tallahassee!

Hey, if you can snag Nobrakes, bring him on.

Sounds like you're trying to promote a "Run What 'Cha Brung" type of action? ? ? ? ? ?

Well, we do have . . . . . "facilities" ! ! ! ! !

Bring it on!

Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Marty, you'll notice that I am not foolish enough to challenge you with my poor little CV-carb bike. I am hoping I can pit you against Brian and stir the pot a little. I would like to try my hand at a little racing, but you guys should be able to dust me pretty good. If not then you didn't get your money's worth out of those fancy-schmancy pumper carbs of yorus. [:'(]

I looked at the route that you proposed in Mapquest and I agree that it is a better way for me to go. Hopefully tennisman can meet me on the route or I can detour some and pick him up.

Gravy Train, I don't remember when you are being deployed. If you are still around, you ought to join the NC delegation as well.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM

Chris,

I know some folks from the Charlotte area that are coming down for the ride.

If you send me a PM I'll hook you up!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Marty, I would like to come from Tampa! I just requested that Fri. and Mon. as vacation days. How do I sign up?

Lordy Avenger, you coming from Tampa also?

Quick Reply: "Tour de Apalachicola-II" January 12-15, 2007