Thinking of gettin one

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Default Thinking of gettin one

I have been thinking of getting a KLR 650 for some time. I am in the mindset of an old school off road/motocross rider and one who likes to cruise the back roads to get to work.

What I want to know is this, from KLR owners....

The reliabilty factor, are they deoendable and solid?

What are your favorite attributes about this bike?

What are your Dislikes about his bike, and I mean ALL of them

Also, comfort and 2 up riding........ are they good enough to keep the lil lady happy for a days ride? And me too!???

Fuel milage, is it good or just mediocre?

What are the best years of this bike, i like the kick start oft the older ones, its a nice back up, but is it needed????

If you have a KLR, please reply!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Default RE: Thinking of gettin one

Goods:
Reliable motor, easy to work on, 50~55 mpg, big tank=250 miles, excellent commuter either ON or OFF road, etc

Bads:
Too tall for some, heavy for true off-road riding, 20-year old design, etc.

For your use, it sounds like a good choice.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

if you want a true off road bike get the klx 250s, but if you just wanna go off road just a little bit get the 650, the klx is just so much smaller and lighter for off road use...

Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM

Im thinking of getting the new KLR 650 next year when it comes out, it looks like they have changed a few small things but the appearance is much better................anyone else seen the new pics yet?

Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I saw it too. WHEN I do buy a dual purpose, I am leaning more towards the 650. I'm sure off-roading is a blast, but I don't think I'll ever do much more than trail riding.

If I get the off-road bug, I'll be looking towards the 250S!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Hi I am thinking of getting a klr 650, I am 5 11 and 170 lbs, is this bike too tall for me?? Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

It's best to get on one and see for yourself how you feel on it. I'm 6'1, and the KLR650 felt really TALL to me. I'm sure once you're on it, it won't seem so bad.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Great all around bike. I have found mine to be very reliable. Unfortunately it does occasionally want to lay down and take a rest. It can be very difficult to get it back up again.
I bought mine to do mostly street and some occasional trails, however the guys I ride with now are afraid of the street so it is mostly trails and somesingle tracks. I've been riding street for around 25 years but dirt is new to me. For the riding that I am doing now I would rather have a much smaller lighter bike. I am considering the KLX250S. I have had mine in some places that I really did not want to be, but the more I ride it, the more comfortable I get.
I am 5'10" and around 225 lbs. The bike is a little tall for me, if it starts to go over it can be difficult to keep it up. I have purchased some lowering links but have yet to put them on. Since this is the only bike I have ridden off -road I can not compare it to any other dirt or dual sports.
The factory weight capacity is around 400 can't remember exactly. Me and my wife are "big boned" so this bike is not great for two up riding for us. I have taken my son with me once and it wasn't too bad. If you and your wife are smaller it would be OK. I know that there are people that ride two up and are fine with it.
I get about 220 miles on a tank, power is OK until you get on the freeway. It will do 85 mph plus, but it can get a little squirrelly at those speeds. At 65 or 70 it is very comfortable to ride. It handles the twisties remarkably well, in fact it can be a lot of fun on the twisties. I guess the bad would be that it is tall if you have a short inseam and it is a bit heavy.
Of course people are usually biased toward the bike that they own, so keep that in mind. There are much better bikes for the dirt and there better bikes for the street. I feel like for the money this one is a very good compromise. If your going to be doing a lot of tight trail riding and mostly dirt get something else. If you want a great back roads bike this one is great.
Hope this helps. You can PM mewith any questions.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have a KLX250S and i have ridden the klr650, great bike, but its alot bigger than mine, i wouldnt want to take that thing into some tight singletrack.... its a good bike.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'10" or 11" and about 176 pounds. have no problem riding it on the street.I haven't taken it off road yet-but I expect it to be quite a handful.My wife hates riding on the back of this bike, so we take my 2003 Vulcan 800 Classic for any longer rides.I just fiiled up-99.8 miles/1.801 gallons=55.4 miles per gallon.Thats pretty normal for mine.I find it very comfortable riding on the freeways at up to about 70mph (thats really as fast as I've gone).Love the huge tank,rear rack,fairing, and its nice having the handguards for cold weather riding.The seat works great for me.I have zero comfort issues with this bike.The vibes don't bother me.

jon

Quick Reply: Thinking of gettin one