Considering moving up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Considering moving up.

So yes...I have a `13 KLX 250s and love it. Really. But since I`ve found that longer rides are more my thing than offroading (which the KLX does well), I`m considering trading up to the 650. I`ve been looking at doing more traveling and camping with the bike. I`ve already started upgrading the KLX (new Seat Concepts seat-AMAZING) to do this and although I believe it can handle the distance, I think that the KLR would be a more comfortable bike over the next few years of my life. Now, I`ve read a lot and I`ve been doing my homework. This does seem like the right compromise.
I`m impressed actually at the 'lack' of posts on this forum. I tells me that there are very few things wrong with the bike!
My son actually wants to buy my KLX from me so it`s not like I`m getting rid of a great bike.
Also I`ve noticed that the only major complaint about the seat width has been fixed in the new `14 model.

So, since `light` trail riding (we have forest tracts here in Ontario which we can by passes for) and more touring is the goal, is there anything that has been an ongoing issue with the KLR that I just haven`t come across?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope, some will say the doo hickey(the jury is still out if the 2nd gen need upgrading) and the need of a 6th gear. I don't see the 6th gear as being that "needed". I just bought a 2014 klr650 and sold my 09 klx a week after. at 65mph i am at around 4500 rpm. My klx would be at 7k+ rpm at that speed. I didn't see me having the time to ride both. The klr was a dream come true for me, since it fits exactly my riding style. The klx was too light for highway use for me, although it was a ripper off road. But to be honest i would rather ride my atv for ripping off road and i just bought 3 weeks ago a new 2014 Polaris sportsman 800efi. Some say the klr is heavy, i say its perfect and doesn't blow around in the wind. I am a big guy and can easily lift the klr if it goes over. Keep in mind i sold my Honda VTX1800 a month ago to help fund my new purchases. The vtx was 900lbs dry so the klr feels like a mtn bike for weight in comparison. For me the klr is the leatherman of riding. I live in the mountain twisties and this bike is perfect for road and the gravel logging roads i ride.