KLR 250 Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Default KLR 250 Disassembly

I am looking to fully disassemble my 250 which is an 85. I am wondering if there are any specific user manuals someone could refer to me or any videos of a full disassembly online or something. Any help would be great. I don't know too much about bikes, but I'm really wanting to learn. Any tips would be great! thanks.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Help you anyway I can. I had a KLR 250 tore down to engine, frame, swing arm and back tire yesterday, rode it about 40 miles today. Burned up two H4 light bulbs. Might have some wiring issues...

Here's some required reading:

http://www.kawasaki.nu/af/Upload/Man...24-1051-08.pdf

You'll see reference to "special tools" needed. "Needed" is subjective. I was part of an elite adventure group that had a motto of "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome and if necessary, appropriate".

A KLRista will make do with what is at hand. Your first lesson, Grasshoppa....

Now. What's the objective to all this effort? Parting it out and looking for a quick and painless method before the long arm of the law finds it? Restoration? Building a one-off SuperMoto?

Are we going inside the engine? What is the goal and objective if yes? Does the bike run? Any history about the bike if it doesn't run?

Leading cause of death for the KLR250 is the head / cam / timing system tends to eat each other from lack of maintenance, in particular, valve adjustments and oil changes. That can get spendy to remedy. Just a heads up.

I love those bikes. It's essentially 1/4 of a C-10 Concours engine. Simple, reliable as a hammer and about as complicated to operate and maintain.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:28 PM

thanks for the reply. basically i purchased the klr off of craigslist in pieces. it was 185 bucks and came with the old motor (guy said it was seized up) and some extra parts. the old motor is off the bike and another engine is on it. the bike was never completely put back together. i want to try to get it running again, but i dont know if all the parts are there for sure and where exactly all the tubes and stuff are supposed to go to. here are some pics of the bike.

IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG

Old 10-27-2013, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmantz
thanks for the reply. basically i purchased the klr off of craigslist in pieces. it was 185 bucks and came with the old motor (guy said it was seized up) and some extra parts. the old motor is off the bike and another engine is on it. the bike was never completely put back together. i want to try to get it running again, but i dont know if all the parts are there for sure and where exactly all the tubes and stuff are supposed to go to. here are some pics of the bike.

IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG
Your pic's ain't showing. Are you using a photo image host like photobucket? I'm interested to see what you have to work with.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Sorry, yeah i see that they didn't actually upload. I just made a photobucket account and will see if i can get it to work that way.

jmantz4's's Library | Photobucket

let me know if that link worked. there should be four pics.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, yeah i see that they didn't actually upload. I just made a photobucket account and will see if i can get it to work that way.

jmantz4's's Library | Photobucket

let me know if that link worked. there should be four pics.
That worked. Bike looks like it's worth the effort. What you have in mind? You said you want to tear it down....to what end?

Did the former owner tell you anything about the engine that is in the bike now?

Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM

no he didn't give me any info on the engine that's on it now. basically i wanted to know how to disassemble it to see what parts (if any) i would need to purchase as well as finding out where the parts that are not on the bike currently should be put on it. i don't necessarily want to disassemble it. i wanna put it back together, but am unsure at this point exactly what needs to be purchased.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

no he didn't give me any info on the engine that's on it now. basically i wanted to know how to disassemble it to see what parts (if any) i would need to purchase as well as finding out where the parts that are not on the bike currently should be put on it. i don't necessarily want to disassemble it. i wanna put it back together, but am unsure at this point exactly what needs to be purchased.
Gotcha.

Well, it looks like you have a fairly complete bike in the photos. I see what probably were original to the bike parts....seat, headlight fairing, radiator shroud...all those pieces present on the bike as pictured. Can't make out if the coolant overflow bottle is in place....

I'm thinking it might be easier if you pull the seat, side panels and fuel tank and take some GOOD photos and post 'em up. From the top, sides, front. The photo of the bike, as it appears on my screen, has the engine area shaded so dark I really can't see if everything is in place.

The photo of the bike looks like it is basically reassembled....down to drive chain tensioned.

I'll help anyway I can. Keep in mind, my input will be as good as the information you supply. Ask questions if you don't know or understand what I'm asking. You may be as close to having a running bike as checking that the essentials are in place [oil, coolant, fuel, carburetor, wiring harness..].

I'm suggesting all these things be checked and confirmed before any attempt to turn the engine over.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 PM

thanks so much for your help. i am currently out of town, but will be back in about a month. I'll post a bunch of pics as soon as I get home. thanks again for your willingness to help and looking forward to working on the bike!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Look forward to your return. Unless recalled by my maker or a jealous husband determining a different fate for me, I'll be standing by....

Quick Reply: KLR 250 Disassembly