Kawasaki Quad's & ATV's Quad (Leisure) & ATV (Working) talk within here.

KFX440 Assembly Time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Just Finished KFX400!!!

Don't worry about it! You have one heck of sweet looking bike and you should be recognized for all the work that you have put into it, regardless of whether or not its done!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:17 PM

Okay, after 4 1/2 hours last night the motor is assembled. This evening it's FINALLY time to throw it back in the bike, WOOHOO!!!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

CONGRATS!!!! I bet you're some happy!

Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 AM

Alright guys, I know you're tired of waiting....

It's pretty much done for now. I need a couple small things to finish it off, and maybe clean it up a bit, but she runs, not great yet, because I need to work on the jetting with the new carb, but she runs!!

Here's a few pictures to tide you over until I get it cleaned up good!!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  69.1 KB

Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif] WOW! Looks awesome blackkawi!

Old 04-18-2006, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

YA, that's SWEET looking.....You've got to be proud of yourself on this one!! Awesome!

Old 04-18-2006, 04:49 AM

Well...........I was..........

Here's the deal folks.

I got it running friday afternoon and putted around on it friday night and most of saturday. No stress, just letting it run, trying to figure out what I should be at for jetting.

Saturday I went to a buddies house and let that thing open up. Let me tell you, that puppy was running like a raped ape!!! I was pulling wheelies in 4th gear. After about 3 hours of beating on it, it suddenly stalled. When I tried to restart it I got a bad clanking sound and it was blowing smoke like a 2 stroke.

I decided to be on the safe side, I would pull the motor and open up the top end to see what all the racket was. Well, when I pulled the head off, I couldn't see anything wrong with the exception of alot of oil on the head of the piston. It wasn't until I pulled the cylinder that I realized the extent of the damage.

When I pulled the cylinder, the first thing I noticed was it was marred really bad on one side, then i saw that the other side was gone!!! There was a huge chunk of the STEEL sleeve just missing!! At this point I realized that the piston and cylinder were done for.

Next up, I grabbed the rod to see if the bushing were still good, well, it moved like a joystick, which obviously means the rod didn't have any bushings anymore. Next I reached down and shook the crank which moved just as bad, so the crank bearings are mush too.

Now at this point, I'm starting to sweat realizing that all my hard work was down the tube....

I don't know what the exact cause was, but like I said when I get up the courage to split the case to see the damage, maybe I will find out more.

The build was done to factory specs with the exception of the cams and piston which I did to the manufacturers specs.

Either way, I priced the repairs at anywhere between 1200-2500 depending on the damage

Soooo..........I'm pretty sick to my stomach right now....

Old 04-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

That's awesome 4th gear wheelies!!

That sux man.. all that work.... I'm almost sick to my stomach for ya. WTF happened???? It sounds like it all went together good. It worked good for a while....

That's just depressing..... Dam, I feel ya bro.....

Hopefully you'll get her tore apart, find the problem and get her fixed again... If I was close to ya, I would come over and help!!

Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 PM

Yeah it ran a little too good I think...

All that power starting pushing the limits of issues that might have already been there. I should have replaced all the bearings and bushings in the bottom end, they are still the originals. I shouldn't have ran a steel sleeve in the first place, people have had nothing but problems with them.

I'm wondering now if the sleeve was canted in the cylinder and when I finally had it decked, it made it that much worse and then it starting hitting the one side harder.......

I don't know, and I guess it doesn't really matter now.

I'm picking up a weekend job and decided to send the motor off to Yoshimura for a 450 Stroker kit. I'll let them handle it. They completely rebuild the entire motor and replace everything. It's a bit more expensive, but they claim it's nearly indestructable..... That's what I need.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you were able to get out and have some fun! Sorry to hear about the problems you ran into..............but you had fun! Gotta always try to look at the bright side of things ya know!

Quick Reply: KFX440 Assembly Time!!!