Kawasaki Quad's & ATV's Quad (Leisure) & ATV (Working) talk within here.

just bought brute force 750

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Default just bought brute force 750

I am new to this site and new to atvs I just bought my first one today it is a 2005 brute force 750 with 98 hrs I didnt get any information with it so I am hoping someone could help me out with what to service and when to to do it, good mods to use and bad ones to stay away from. Just looking for some general information. I plan on doing all service work and repairs myself so do I need any special tools and can I get a service manual somewhere. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Default RE: just bought brute force 750

Welcome and congrats on your first quad.
Service Manual
Get a factory genuine book which will be the best investment you would ever make for your quad.

Mods
No mods is the best thing you can do for your quad. Trust me. If you are sure that you can improve something that guys with PhD in engineering has designed, then do it. Otherwise, leave your quad alone. You may improve one thing, but your change can degrade other thing(s) - called unwanted side effect. Just religiously do all the maintenance stuff outlined in the owner/service manual. Then you will enjoy many years of fun atv riging.

Here are few things to check (all in the manual):
Valve clearance check/adjust
Front diff oil
Rear brake oil
Engine oil and filter
Belt deflection check/adjust

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the reply I am already having trouble I broke the drive belt. What do you reccomend for a replacement I am looking at the dayco hdx or whatever it was. I have oversize tires made by bear claw so I think I need a more heavy duty belt. Do you know if I can slip it off and install a new one without removing the clutches. someone told me I could but I don't know. I didn't get an owners manual do you know if I can buy one somewhere. Thanks for the help

Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Maybe the belt is the original (98 hrs?) and it was about time to be replaced. So, don't feel too bad. The belt is designed to be broken "before" other more expensive trans parts get damged, like a fuse.

Which belt?
I think Kawi's orginal belt is the best bet ($70). I've seen guys with 3000+ miles on a same original Kawi belt. But I've seen guys on his 3rd belt with less than 100 miles. It all depends how you use your quad. The Kawi belt may not be the strongest one out there but it is the best fit and designed to work with the quad's other original parts. If the belt is too strong/tough/hard, the aluminum converter surface will wear out before the belt, and then you are faced with $500 converter instead. The analogy is like you are putting in an 30 amp fuse in the circuitboard when the original fuse was only 5 amp. Something will either wear out or break sooner or later. And you want that sacrificial part to be the least expensive one...

How to change belt?
I've seen some strong guys changing the belt without removing the converter, just by pushing up the belt REAL hard by hand. I tried but I couldn't. If you can't, call up some dealers and get an estimate. Whoever does the job, make sure the belt deflection is set within the spec (24-27 mm), less the better IMO.

Owner's manual
You can order one from any Kawi dealer.

Big Tires
They look good and give you good traction, but the CVT belt will wear out faster due to added weight and the traction. See, when you stuck and give gas, something has to turn or slip. Since the big tires with big treads can't turn, the converter will just turn but not the belt. There goes the belt in somke. When you give gas and if the wheels are not turning, think of other way to get out of that situation. Like using a winch or having your buddy pull you out. Your ego may go down a bit, but you will save some $$.

Good Luck!

Old 12-02-2006, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the info I was able to change the belt without removing anything I was able to talk with the original owner and the belt was the original then I found another problem. The oil seal in the tranny was leaking oil I guess from all the mud I had in there but I replaced that and now everything seems ok. I didnt know how to check the deflection. Any info on that would be great.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Belt Deflection:
You really need a factory service manual if you want to do maintenance works by yourself CORRECTLY. The way to measure the deflection is to apply 13-lbs of force on the center of the belt between the drive and driven converter at the top and measure the deflection/vertical distance. You will need 2 straight edges - place one horizontal and the other vertical. This is all in the service manual. But if you installed a new genuine Kawi belt and if no shims were taken out from the quad by the original owner, then the deflection should be within the spec.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM

I found the best thing I did was to go to a wider handle bar it gives more room to add windshield, winch controls (I have one on front and back) warmers etc. It also gives you a bit more leverage when you are ripping around.

knot2wise:
Brute Force 750
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 AM

One smart mod comes to mind is the inner fender or splash guard to protect the intake opening from dirt/water kicked up by the front tires, especially when turning.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 PM

You can run larger tires with a clutch kit or different springs. I have a couple of pictures in my webshots of an actual clutch job, checking deflection and putting on a new belt. Check my signature profile for the link.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:29 PM

I wanna see some pics guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: just bought brute force 750