Kawasaki Quad's & ATV's Quad (Leisure) & ATV (Working) talk within here.

Exhaust Manifold Gasket assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Default Exhaust Manifold Gasket assembly

Hey Guys,
Just got a used Bayou 250. There is smoke coming out of where the exhaust goes into the cylinder head. I was going to try simply replacing the gasket first to see if this fixed the issue. But I am hung up on two things -
1) Does the exhaust holder that screws to the cylinder head come off the two screws that hold it on, or does it just come partly off - maybe an inch or two?? I cannot get it all the way off for nothing! WILL IT COME ALL THE WAY OFF??
2) I am able to get the gasket in without taking it all the way off but now the exhaust pipe is loose. I am fairly sure I have the split ring back in correctly based on the diagram. ANY THOUGHTS ON WHY IT IS LOOSE? I'll attach some photos for clarity.

I am not a mechanic at all, but usually get by with youtube, google, and manuals pretty good. Anything much more than this I would generally have to have someone look at.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Seth

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Manifold Gasket assembly-exhaustholderexplodedschmatic.jpg   Exhaust Manifold Gasket assembly-exhaustholderfrommanual.jpg   Exhaust Manifold Gasket assembly-exhaust2.jpg   Exhaust Manifold Gasket assembly-exhaust1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

On my Bayou KLF300 I had to undo those 2 nuts and undo the clamp that holds the exhaust section onto the header pipe section and remove the exhaust first.
I couldn't get the header pipe off without taking the exhaust section off first cause it wouldn't let me twist/bend/move the angle required as it kept hitting the frame.

But that big header pipe holder/collet thing should just pull back toward you. Try squirting it with WD40 in case it's rusted on a bit.
It's not threaded onto those studs so it should just pull back/off.