Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

oil filter gasket sudden major leak

Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 AM
Default oil filter gasket sudden major leak

I have a 2012 KAF400B that a month or so after oil and filter change, the oil filter suddenly springs a MAJOR leak around the filter gasket, like somehow the gasket is getting blown out of position (not sure). With the engine running it will pump out all the oil in a matter of minutes which is pretty scary if you don't notice it.

Today it happened for the third time with a different filter.

I removed the filter which was screwed on tightly, inspected the gasket which seemed to be out of its groove, but not damaged.

I screwed the filter back on as tight as I could by hand added oil and no leak now.

The filter came from on out of China, so just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

JIm

Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

1. Does the oil filter that you are using contain a by-pass valve? You should be able to search on-line for the specifications of the filter. If you are unable to locate any specifications, then I wouldn't use that brand of oil filter.

2. If the oil filter doesn't have a by-pass valve, then swap it for a reputable filter that does contain one.

3. If it does have a by-pass filter, I'd investigate plugging a pressure gauge into the block (same as with an oil pressure gauge but more accurate) to see if you have an engine oil pressure issue.

4. Make sure you are using the engine oil specified by the manufacturer.

Regardless, you have a really serious issue here. I'd be trying the manufacturer's recommended filter. Pay the extra dollars and try that first.

I use a variety of oil filter brands. When you read the fine print on the box, all of the ones I am using (and these are brand named filters from major companies) are manufactured in Indonesia. Gosh there must be a lot of oil filter manufacturing plants in Indonesia!

Old 03-11-2019, 01:13 AM

Great advice, thanks. I'll get a filter from Kawasaki and find a suitable oil pressure gauge.
Will post any interesting results for others.
Thanks so much.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

My neighbor owns a 610 Mule and hasn't suffered this issue.

Best thing before you outlay any money on an oil pressure gauge is that you find a datum point for what the oil pressure should be, or else the exercise is pointless.

I own a 4010 Trans Diesel and I exclusively use AC Delco Filters. I have no association with AC Delco other than I have cross-referenced all my filters on Greenfield, Kubota and Case equipment and they are price effective for me. AC Delco give you a GM part number and all of the filter specifications on their website. You will also see where all vehicles (cars) that each filter suits are listed as well.

I once had an Iseki 50hp tractor that started blowing oil filter gaskets same as your issue. The filter was a cartridge type and gave us huge headaches. I purchased another new filter and fitted all new "O" rings and it hasn't done that again. I can only assume that the filter media in the initial cartridge (it was new) was faulty. I ran an oil pressure gauge in the system and the oil pressure was fine but the blasted "O" rings would continually fail and spray engine oil everywhere. This tractor had an in-line oil pressure relief (by-pass) valve as well, and I tested it and it was working fine.

It's a wise choice you have made buying a genuine oil filter with this problem.

Genuine Kubota Filters have "Made In Indonesia" written on them or on the packaging. AC Delco have the same - Made In Indonesia.

Go figure?

Last edited by bpmule; 03-11-2019 at 01:37 AM. Reason: More content
Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I went and had a conversation with the neighbor who owns the 610 Mule. He suggested comparing the oil filter that you remove with the new one to make sure that the seal will mate with the machined surface on the engine. You can compare it to the seal on your new Kawasaki Oil Filter.

He also suggested that there might be a mark on the machined surface of the engine where the oil filter seal mates. If there is then the seal on the oil filter may bind and be damaged as you tighten it so that might be your problem.

This might be an issue for you because I know with the 610's there is a plastic cover where the oil filter goes that may obstruct your view of the machined surface on the engine. He said that you'd want to inspect the machined surface on the block visually, rather than trying to feel it with your finger.

He has just completed an oil change on it. He used an AC Delco AC078 Oil Filter. Specs for that oil filter are such and I use the same on my 4010 Trans Diesel:-
GM Part #19266421
Type:- Oil Filter
Detail:- Full Flow Canister
Filter Type:- Spin-On
By Pass Valve:- YES
Anti Drain Back:- YES
Height:- 165
OD:- 168
Thread 13/4"X16
Dual Flow:- NO

Last edited by bpmule; 03-11-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:46 PM

Ok, my thanks to your neighbor.. I'll get the AC078 filter then take a look with my inspection camera. If anything interesting, I'll post it for others.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 PM

So..... I think this problem is now solved.
1. Inspected the machined surface using my inspection camera and it looked okay. Also, not able to find a oil pressure gauge for the 600 or 610 Mule.
2 Couldn't find the Delco filter you recommended in town, but bought the Wix 51394 from O'Riley Parts. Made in the good ol' USA.
Couple of differences..
The gasket on the problem generic filter sticks out 0.08in from the metal rim vs. 0.05in on the Wix.
Also the Wix filter has some crimps that hold the gasket firmly in in the groove vs. the generic one the gasket is a bit looser.
I can't tell if the generic filter has a bypass, but there is a spring mechanism visible in both.
I think the extra gasket height and looseness allows the rubber to kind of roll out under pressure where the Wix is not going to allow that to happen.
Put on the Wix and hopefully no more big leaks. Thanks so much, its helpful to have someone with some knowledge to discuss these things with.

My Lesson: Don't go cheap when protecting something expensive.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimthomas47
So..... I think this problem is now solved.
1. Inspected the machined surface using my inspection camera and it looked okay. Also, not able to find a oil pressure gauge for the 600 or 610 Mule.
2 Couldn't find the Delco filter you recommended in town, but bought the Wix 51394 from O'Riley Parts. Made in the good ol' USA.
Couple of differences..
The gasket on the problem generic filter sticks out 0.08in from the metal rim vs. 0.05in on the Wix.
Also the Wix filter has some crimps that hold the gasket firmly in in the groove vs. the generic one the gasket is a bit looser.
I can't tell if the generic filter has a bypass, but there is a spring mechanism visible in both.
I think the extra gasket height and looseness allows the rubber to kind of roll out under pressure where the Wix is not going to allow that to happen.
Put on the Wix and hopefully no more big leaks. Thanks so much, its helpful to have someone with some knowledge to discuss these things with.

My Lesson: Don't go cheap when protecting something expensive.

OK. You sound happier and confident so I guess that's a result. Just wanted to check........but do you lube the oil filter seals before installing them? I use rubber grease, but Vaseline or even some new engine oil on your finger will do. I'd recommend some lubricant on the oil filter seal.

I also only ever tighten them by hand. I can usually get enough on them by hand, but having said that I know that the 610 is restricted for space.

Great use of an inspection camera as well. I was thinking of a mirror to peak in at the machined block.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW Back in the day, on occasion we had Honda oil filter O-rings stick on the engine, pulling off the filter. If that happened it would immediately blow out and dump oil. We had a few riders have it happen, so always check to make sure the old filter gasket doesn't get stuck and stay on the block.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
FWIW Back in the day, on occasion we had Honda oil filter O-rings stick on the engine, pulling off the filter. If that happened it would immediately blow out and dump oil. We had a few riders have it happen, so always check to make sure the old filter gasket doesn't get stuck and stay on the block.
Great point and thanks for sharing this information.

I usually recycle old oil filters and that's after they have drained (by having them turned upside - down), and the new oil filter would be well and truly installed with nice new oil in the engine before I'd upright the old filter and notice that the gasket is no longer there. I'll make a point of checking from now on as soon as the old filter is removed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil filter gasket sudden major leak