General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX-7R Jet Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ZX-7R Jet Question

when deaccelerating, is it not suppposed to pop at all? mine pops alittle bit i think(hard to hear)

Old 04-29-2006, 12:14 AM

When mine was stock it always popped a little bit, but this is much more often and noticable.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

i bought my bike used and it already had the vance and hines full exhaust, k&n filter and some sorta jet kit( i only know of the jet kit b/c of the 6500 rpm lean spot. it can be fixed by shaving 1mm off a needle or something). anyways I tried the float bowl mod today without much luck. i'm alittle confused on what you are supposed to hook up the floatbowl tubing too? is it supposed to plug into the airbox? is there a way I can check and see what jets i have and what they are set at?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM

The bowl vent tubes need to be hooked directly to the airbox avoiding the vacuum switch/valve. The tube rail that sits on top of the needle body combines into one tube running straight towards the front of the bike under the airbox. Take that tube and connect it directly to the airbox via the left most connection. A better explaination with pictures is at;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/.../ventbowl.html

As far as the main jets go, take them out and look for a stamping on top or side of the head. If you see a number like "132", "134", "136", or "138" you have a DynoJet kit. If the stamping is on the side and says "K 180" or "K 170" you have the stock jets. I'm not sure about FactoryPro or other kits.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 PM

My bike is completely fixed and once again it power wheelied on me, this time much more aggressively. Scared me. I am usually dissapointed with aftermarket performance claims, but this DynoJet thing works! Highly recommended.

The decceleration popping was not due to the mixture screw, but an open vacuum line that I forgot to plug . For anyone wanting to jet their ZX7R follow the instructions at the following link EXACTLY and you shouldn't have any problems. (sorry for linking this multiple times, but I want to drive the point home);

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/.../ventbowl.html

Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

i did the mod last night and it is a night a day difference. I still need to pull the needles and see what they are. Mine will power wheelie, but just a little. But before i wouldn't at all. Midrange is DEFINATLY improved. Do you have stock sprockets?

Old 04-30-2006, 12:51 AM

Yeah, I have stock front and rear sprockets.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

i need to find a how to on rejetting my bike. when i get the tank and airbox off the bike, i'm lost at what to do next. My service manual doesn't really help much other than say take it apart i undid one of the black boxed ontop on one of the carbs and the spring came out. I don't know where to go from here as far as getting the jets out and whatnot.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:21 AM

Have you purchased an aftermarket jet kit? The kit will have instructions on how to install it.

The black cover on the top of the carb that you removed is the cover for the carb slide and jet needle. If you pull the rubber diaphram up you will remove the slide and needle assembly. You can then take the needle out of the slide and see if it is adjustable.

The main jets are in the carb float bowls at the bottom of the carb. Each bowl cover has four brass screws holding it on and a ring seal. Once you remove the cover you will see a large brass circle with a slot cut across it. That is the main jet. Remember that the bowls will be full of gasoline so be careful.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

no i haven't bought a kit yet. i got the instructions from dynojet and they didn't help much. i wanted to pull it apart and see what kit had been put in, if on at all. does the slide and needle assembly come out with the rubber diaphram? I just don't want to pull it out, mess it up and not be able to ride. I'm not scared to work on my bike, i just want to know what to do before i mess up something. so the float bowls are under carbs? can i pull the entire carb/floatbowl assembly off the bike without messing anything up as far as adjustments?

Quick Reply: ZX-7R Jet Question