General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ZX-7R Jet Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Default ZX-7R Jet Question

I've installed a DynoJet Stage I on my '03 7R using the DJ-136 outer and DJ-138 inner mains, and the needles are on clip #3. When I purchased the bike it had a Yosh RS-3 can with stock pipes, so I figured the kit would be good idea. Now the bike runs worse on the low-midrage (3500-5500 rpm). The aforementioned settings are the result of hours of adjustments where it was really bad. The dealer who first installed the kit used the smaller mains (132 and 134) and set the needles at #4.

So I've been looking for what could help and I've seen that DynoJet recommends removing the bowl vent tubes, while some other sites say that I should route the tubes to the air box. Are they saying the same thing? Also, some people say that removing the vacuum valve and switch (on the valve cover) will help with the decceleration popping and hesitation. My main worry is that I'll run too lean and burn up the valves. Does anyone have experience with this, or have any suggestions? Thanks and sorry for the verbose post.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:23 AM
Default RE: ZX-7R Jet Question

I'm really screwing up this bike. Fortunately I may have found more clear explaination of what is going on. For anyone interested;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/.../ventbowl.html

Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sweet.....good reading there. Hopefully that will fix your prob!! GL..

Old 04-27-2006, 05:35 AM

I'm going to turn this thread into a personal journal of my carb experience I have re-routed all the lines and tossed the emission crap from the bike. I was getting really excited at the prospect of finally getting it right. I decided to change the needles back to the DynoJet default position #4, and as I pulled the E-clip on the first needle it decided to go for a supersonic flight into the great unknown. So I'm stuck. I called up DynoJet and they were nice enough to send a couple of E-clips to me. Now it's just a waiting game until they come in.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

dude, that sux, man!!

Hopefully that will get it going right once you get the parts...... Do it.. Take some pics and make sure you post it in the DIY section.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have installed jet kits from dynojet before and they have great tech support.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah dynojets usually a good company to deal with.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:23 AM

I was able to find an E-clip from the CarQuest in town and fit it on the needle. I buttoned up the carb, hoses (routing the carb vents to the airbox), PCV, and airbox. The bike ran like a rocket!!!! It is popping when deccelerating but nothing a turn of the mixture screw won't fix. DynoJet was way helpful in helping me. I'll post something in the DIY section when I get a chance. The bike has a lot more mid-high end and I pulled the front up a little with an aggressive roll-on. Surprised the hell out of me because I wasn't able to do that before when I tried!!

Old 04-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Cool glad it all worked out.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Awesome man!! I really did not think that was gonna fix it....

Quick Reply: ZX-7R Jet Question