General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

xz6r ticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Default xz6r ticking

I read alot of the other forums today about the ticking noise in the 07 zx6r. I dropped my bike off dec 18 to get the first service done(which it was free at my local dealer) and told them i noticed the ticking noise(bike has about 700 miles). of course they are not sure what the problem is. They are supposed to be contacting kawasaki to try to find the problem. all that means is they will have to rip apart the motor to find it. could be without the bike for a minimium of 2 weeks if they have to rip apart the motor. hopefully its nothing serious and i can get her back to ride. anybody have any ideas????

Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: xz6r ticking

This your first oil change on the ride?
Generally the ticking is from the valve train, ie the automatic CCT. (camchain tensioner) A pretty common annoyance. I have placed my ride into 5th gear, while pushing it backwards and pop the clutch. This allows the tensioner side of the chain to slacken slightly and allowing the cct to finish ratcheting or click into position.
Welcome to KF

Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 AM

Ya first oil change on my first bike and i gotta say i love riding!!! I called the dealer earlier and they told me they tightened something that could have cause the noise. They still have the bike but if i get it back and it still has the noise i will try your advice.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

uh oh there is a issue with the 07zx6r sucking valves, it starts out with the ticking sound then just blows. so hopefully ur stealership will replace said part. at the bottom of this page is related threads of the same problem. welcome to KF!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Is this something the dealership can do quickly or will it take along time?? will it also completly fix the problem or could the ticking noise come back??

Old 12-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

the parts are hard for the dealers to get. they say there on back order. one member waited months for his to get fixed. mine ticks a little they say thats normal for kawis. most failures have happened before 1000 miles.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM

just a little update. I went by the dealer to take a look at the bike(plus my jacket came in and i had to see if it matched). 2 of the "tappers" are bent so they are ordering all new ones. the parts were ordered today but with the christmas holidays here it could take alittle while before the parts get in. The dealer says the values were not bent. i stopped ridin the bike when i heard the ticking. There was nothing else damaged so it could be about 3 weeks before i get to ride again.. anyone got an extra bike i can borrow?[:@]

Old 12-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

2 of the "tappers" are bent so they are ordering all new ones.
The dealer says the values were not bent.
I guess that I am not fully understanding what you just said. lol

Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 AM

the tech that i talked to said something about tappers. sorry i dont really know what that is either. it looked like he had the top half of the motor ripped apart. i do remember him saying the tappers have something to do with the fuel and exhaust though. they were maybe 6 chrome cirlce pieces

Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

kinda sounds like the buckets. How can they warp? or bend?

Quick Reply: xz6r ticking