General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't start... All I hear is clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Default Won't start... All I hear is clicking?

I bought this bike from an individual and it ran when I picked it up. It even ran for a couple of runs around the block when I got it home. I was taking it for a spin and when I came to a stop to turn it died and wouldn't start back up. At first it was turning over but now it will not do nothing but click. I changed out the Junction Box, (thought maybe that was the problem) but still nothing. I think that I have narrowed it down to the Starter Relay, because when you put the 2 hots together it will turn over but still not start? When it is turning over it still is not getting fire? Could that mean that I need to replace the kill switch? Just not quite sure what the deal is? Can someone please help me? This is my first bike and I just really want it to run. Also is somthing in the Relay suppose to rattle or is it like a light bulb when that happens it's bad? I would really appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to give some advice.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Default RE: Won't start... All I hear is clicking?

ORIGINAL: 97 7R

I bought this bike from an individual and it ran when I picked it up. It even ran for a couple of runs around the block when I got it home. I was taking it for a spin and when I came to a stop to turn it died and wouldn't start back up. At first it was turning over but now it will not do nothing but click. I changed out the Junction Box, (thought maybe that was the problem) but still nothing. I think that I have narrowed it down to the Starter Relay, because when you put the 2 hots together it will turn over but still not start? When it is turning over it still is not getting fire? Could that mean that I need to replace the kill switch? Just not quite sure what the deal is? Can someone please help me? This is my first bike and I just really want it to run. Also is somthing in the Relay suppose to rattle or is it like a light bulb when that happens it's bad? I would really appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to give some advice.

It clicks only, but when you jumper the starter relay it actually turns over?? Sounded at first like it was a battery issue until you said that...any chance it's out of gas? Relays in my experience shouldn't rattle...

Old 11-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Hey bro check this, not sure if they are the same but on my 95 zx-7 there is a small black wire leading off the one of the harnesses, it is kind of stiff. It leads down to the engine in front of the shifter. Pictures below.

Well I was having the same problem heard it clicking in the fuse/switching box and started tracing wires and found this one loose. I gave it a little pinch with my diagonal cutters and reattached and the bike has started every time since.

Hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/067E092AACEF472BA43524008713E717.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/0B115F563F4D4C6E8D4FDFF16266104F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 AM

I ran out gas to begin with but I have gas in the reserve tank...

It is turning over now with the start button. (I read on a previous post about someone with the similar problem, so I tapped on the Relay like it said and now it turns over with button.) I removed the spark plug to test for spark, I am not getting a spark?

Any advice?

Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 AM

Thanks a lot for all the exploring you did but the bikes are a little different, they changed them up a little in 1996. I bought a repair manual and that black wire that you are talking about is for the neutral switch. It is good.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe ignition box! How did you check for spark, I had to put a wire down the cable and get it near the frame, turn it over and whatched for spark.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 97 7R

Thanks a lot for all the exploring you did but the bikes are a little different, they changed them up a little in 1996. I bought a repair manual and that black wire that you are talking about is for the neutral switch. It is good.
Dam wonder if it was just a fluke that mine is stsrting now

Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 AM

When I checked for spark, I pulled the spark plug out and made sure it was normal (per my manual). Then put the plug in the plug cable and turned it over and watched for spark. NOTHING?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Ignitor or coil. http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_04...ion_system.cfm

Check the link not shure if it is your corect model for your bike but has good pics.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:49 AM

7r, it sounds like you are on the right track with that manual! Start simple , when you first posted you had a couple of electrical issues with relay's....... before you brake the bank on parts, make sure all your connections are sound. It seems like you have a low voltage (power drop). I would check to see if i had 12 vgoing to my connections. contact cleaner and die electric goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Won't start... All I hear is clicking?