General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't idle with kick stand down

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Won't idle with kick stand down

Ok, let me start off with, I'm not a n00b to vehicle electronics.

Vehicle = 1997 Kawasaki ZX-6R (F)

If kick stand is up or if I put a jumper connecting the two wires that lead to my kick stand sensor it idles fine. ALSO my bike will run allow me to shift into gears while idling.

Now, I took apart the sensor and it looks perfect, it breaks the circuit when the kick stand is down, completes it when up....nice clean connections.

Lastly, when I ride around - I connect the sensor up properly and it runs great with kickstand up.

Please advise - I hate this - Justin

Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Won't idle with kick stand down

isn't that the point of the kickstand switch? to keep it from running with the kickstand down and alow it to run only when up?

if you want it to idle with the stand down then you'll just have to leave it jumpered. from what i've read its a REALLY common mod.

when i bought my zx6r the kickstand switch had already been completely removed from the bike

Old 07-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

so with the bike in neutral it does not idle with the stand down? and if you put the stand up she idles fine?

Could be that the switch is faulty, when the stand is down and your in neutral it is not making 100% contact.

I feel sorry for the foos that remove the side stand safety switch, they do too when they bite it.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock
I feel sorry for the foos that remove the side stand safety switch, they do too when they bite it.
what exactly is the risk of the kickstand safety switch. putting the stand down with it in gear and letting off the clutch?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

ORIGINAL: Notstock
what exactly is the risk of the kickstand safety switch. putting the stand down with it in gear and letting off the clutch?
Picture yourself tired after work, or with a bunch of friends, your talking and having fun getting ready to ride off. You put on your helmet, put the bike in first, let out the clutch and take off, turn to the left and BAM! Your arss is in the ground and your bike is scratched to sheit.

Kick stand mod is as worthless as **** on a bull!

Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

huh, my kickstand lifts up if the bike drags it forwards. the only way i could see it getting caught is rolling backwards.

but IMO that should be a habit like putting on your seatbelt in a car.

so the kickstand switch is combined with the neutral sensor so that if the kickstand is down and you put it in gear it will die? does make the kickstand switch remove seem pointless.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jutboy
If kick stand is up or if I put a jumper connecting the two wires that lead to my kick stand sensor it idles fine. ALSO my bike will run allow me to shift into gears while idling.
so if the kickstand switch only shuts down the engine when not in neutral then is sounds like the neutral switch is the problem. don't have a wiring diagram to look at, but assume it either feeds the power straight through the switch or to a relay.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

interesting, the nuetral light is not working at all. I also have a wiring diagram here

I looked at what I think is the sensor, it looks like a plug that goes into the tranny block which has a green wire running from it.

I didn't pull of the fairings and follow it cause I wanted to see what you guys would recommend. Do these go bad? I assume I need to change the oil again if I pull it out right?(I just did it about 200 miles ago)...

Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jutboy

interesting, the nuetral light is not working at all. I also have a wiring diagram here

I looked at what I think is the sensor, it looks like a plug that goes into the tranny block which has a green wire running from it.

I didn't pull of the fairings and follow it cause I wanted to see what you guys would recommend. Do these go bad? I assume I need to change the oil again if I pull it out right?(I just did it about 200 miles ago)...

Thanks
I would check all the wire connections first. Do you have a multimeter? Either way unplug and clean all the connections, spray them with w-d and wipe as best as you can. Then try it again. I would not try to find that sensor inside the motor or trany until I have verified that all the wiring and connections are good.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

if the neutral light isn't working then yeah the switch is most likely bad or the connections/wiring is. may not need to change the oil from doing that. but oil is cheaper than engine work.

Quick Reply: Won't idle with kick stand down