General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wheel alignment problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: wheel alignment problems

THE CHERRY PICKER......

my buddy allen had just picked up a 1988 or 89 gsxr 750, it had low miles but pretty much sat in a garage covered, to the point of the tires cracking and getting heavily weathered. at this time i lived in lomita ca. and we had a buddy that worked at mc tire works in harbor city. the deal was to buy the tires and bring it all to the shop and he would swap out the rubbers. well knowing we had no stand i told him to ride over and wed figure something out. aside from all my tools i had a paif of heavy duty diesel truck stands and a cherry picker that belonged to my brother. at first we tried to suspend the bike in the center like a pinyata but we couldnt find a secure enough location to strap it. next we talked about straping the sub frame up, removing the tire and setting the bike on its swing arm, this didnt fly. so i said f it. called my bro and his friend over, took the jack stands and raised them up so they would clear the bike and keep everything stable, only problem was this was about 3 feet in the air, so my bro and allen did the lifting, my bros friend stablized the bike and i set the stands in place. the bike sat stable like it was, now the front. hee hee. i made a cradle for the trees and strapped it up to the cherry picker, started to crank it up till the tire was off the ground but it left the entire thing unstable. i had one guy on each side and i kept lifting it till the jack stands were flush with the swinger. unsure what would happen we strapped the bike to the pillar on my porch and i pulled my truck into the driveway and strapped the other side to my bumper. solid !!! a wheel-less bike a ford truck and a cherry picker. it worked but we kinda felt like a bunch of tweakers. somewhere theres a picture of it floating around, i will have to find it.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i have to get the pictures to go along with the rafter story, visual aids kick ***.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hey it worked, not bad. I used to have my office in Torrance and just finished a job on 250th and Oak in lomita.

Ha ha on the tweaker thing but dont you live in Beach

Old 05-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Definately need some pics of that evil! I'll need them for reference in case I wanna try that!

Old 05-04-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I can tell that the clip ons are off alittle, but when i go down the road the entire front end is turned to the right lightly. i stood up on the pegs and looked over the front end while going down the road and the tire looked slightly turned as well. I'm gona order the chain alignment tool soon and see if that fixes it..

Old 05-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

if your front end is turned theres no way you would be able to ride in a straight line, unless your rear is off that much that the bars being to the right corrects it. if this were the case your bike would dog track so bad everyone would knotice. have gr ride behind you and see if your going down the road crooked.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

what would cause that? I know when i ajusted the hell out of the rear tire i go the the front wheel to track properly, but ya i'll have g/r follow behind me and check

Old 05-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

can you take a few pics of your front end ? like a looking down angle so i can see the trees and the tubes, not saying i can figure it out like that but it may give me an idea. but i bet if it were infront of me i find it in a second.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

i'll take some in about half an hr

btw, what gave you the idea i was trying to learn to wheelie

Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

because your front end is out of wack, maybe from bringing it down to hard.

Did you adjust the clip ons yet?

Quick Reply: wheel alignment problems