General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Default Tapping noise

Hi, just signed up here at this forum. If you can't tell I have a 636, 06 model. I just took1200 roundtrip trek up to GA and back and upon my return I can hear an annoying tapping noise. It's not ridiculously loud, just gets under my skin because it's there. I've read through some stuff here. Some suggest its the cam chain tensioner or even the valves. It makes the noise when I idle and gets worse as I rev it up. My friend, Derek, suggested to just change the oil and see what happens. Needs to be done anyway.

Any more suggestions? Or questions if I wasn't detailed enough. Thanks for letting me bother you, seeya.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tapping noise

Sounds like valves. Well not valves persay. It's the rocker arms tapping the bucket. It's actually not bad to hear them. Loose is better than tight. If they are too loose though, you will lose power. While checking them is not hard, changing out shims are. Most bikes are bucket over shim. The cams have to come out to get to the shims. My ZRX is shim over bucket. Rocker arm sits on the shim.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Yeah, I'm just gonna change the oil since it needs it anyway and be done with it. If it gets really bad which it's not, I'll make further investigation out of it. Thanks for the info. Seeya

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

how many miles on the bike ?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

no rocker arms in there.. its shim-under-bucket...

Name:  DSCN1182.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  53.7 KB

i'd do the simple stuff first.. chain tensioner and oil change.

sounds alot like the chain tho..

oh.. and welcome to KF man!!

good luck, and keep us posted..

Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM

I've got just over 6000 miles on it. And by the chain you mean the main chain not the rear tire chain, correct? Too many chains. I'm used to looking at buells and harleys with belts instead. But yeah, anyway, first off I'm doing the oil change. And the drive chain needs to be tightened, at little too much slack probably from all the constant heat and it hasn't been tightened once yet that I know of.

If I do the cam chain tensioner myself, it's not adjustable stock correct? I'd need to replace it altogether?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If I do the cam chain tensioner myself, it's not adjustable stock correct? I'd need to replace it altogether?
The CCT (cam chain tensioner) is adjustable, although it is supposed to be automatic. I like to place the ride in 3rd or 4th gear, ignition off, roll the ride backwards and pop the clutch. That will adjust the CCT most of the time.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 AM

OK so the last post I read about doing that didn't mention it shouldn't have the ignition off...The bike still runs fine I only did it twice. But..now I can't get it to go into second from a standing still position. I have to take it around the block? Odd? Very. let me know what you think.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

rock the ride back and forth for a gear change when in the off position

Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 AM

Yeah doesnt work but thanks. I'll figure it out. Seeya.

Quick Reply: Tapping noise