General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

synchronizing carbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 AM
KIA
Default synchronizing carbs

I'm just curious how much it costs to get 2 carbs synchronized and tuned for a77 kz750 i would do it myslef but with my luck i might end up with a couple paper weights. problem i'm having is the bike won't idle and when cruising at 3500rpm the bike jerks a little like a mis fire but not steady you give gas and is fine but after 4500 rpm seems like it doesn't like going more and shakes the bike. and when i'm slowing down it backfiresquite a bitout the leftexhaust and couple out the righteven though it sound pretty kool i know its not right.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: synchronizing carbs

Not really sure, but guessing at about $95-$150 for a synch.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Doing a carb sync is seriously about the easiest tune-up task you can perform. Just buy a decent carb sync tool for around $80, and you'll be set for life.

If you do take it in, I'm guessing the mechanic will charge around $100

Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Carbtune
It is not too hard once you have the hoses on her. On my R1 I put extended hoses on her so I did not have to reach in to hook up the carb tune every time, just lift the tank, connect the hoses, adjust the carbs and it was done. Use to do it every time I changed the oil.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

haha Carb sync: 1 hour at 85 dollars an hour plus shop supplies, which is nothing but they will charge you for them, and it takes a C tech 35 minutes, to set up and sync,you guys do the math.......buy your own tool

Old 07-15-2007, 05:58 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I already have my own synch setup mmi, was guessing on the rates.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Spending 80 bucks on a carb sync tool is a great investment but if you don't have the cast, go to you autoparts store and buy a single vacuum gauge. you will have to move the gauge back and forth after each adjustment, but its only 20bucks spent. you just have to make sure when you take the vacuum readings that you are at the same rpm for both cylinders. i've done this with my 7 and it took alittle time, but it gets the job done until i can afford a better setup. ofcourse u can just buy 2 gauges and for 40 bucks your good to go.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Once after calibration, I use 4 gauges in a rack. Boom, all 4 are done and over with.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: walight01

Spending 80 bucks on a carb sync tool is a great investment but if you don't have the cast, go to you autoparts store and buy a single vacuum gauge. you will have to move the gauge back and forth after each adjustment, but its only 20bucks spent. you just have to make sure when you take the vacuum readings that you are at the same rpm for both cylinders. i've done this with my 7 and it took alittle time, but it gets the job done until i can afford a better setup. ofcourse u can just buy 2 gauges and for 40 bucks your good to go.
wow what? you have to sync your 1,2 and then take it off and move to your 3,4? how do you sync 1,2-3,4? with one gauge, ive only seen the ones Dragone is talking about, i can see why it would have taken you a little bit of time, they also have a new Digital sync gauges and the box is only a little bit bigger than a blackberry, they only bad part is you have to cut off your arm to pay for it

Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

i only have one guage to do all four. i have to move it around alot but it gets the job done., having 4 gauges is the best way to go, but when ur strapped for cash one gauge will work. the only thing you have to do is make sure you keep a constant rpm when tuning the carbs with one gauge.

Quick Reply: synchronizing carbs